HybridZ

LT1 Headers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Good work on the new site! I posted a question on the other site, but I only got a reply from one guy telling me to come here. Anyway, I'm new to this group, and I have a question: Will "block hugger" headers fit LT1 heads w/angled plugs? I've heard they won't. If not, are there any others that will work? I have an LT1/700R4 installed JTR style. The engine is from a '94 Z28, and the trans is from an '84 impala. Thanks in advance!

Brian, there are alot of "block hugger" headers on the market today. Please let us know what brand you are referring to. FYI the current Hooker block hugger headers will work with angle plug heads but it is a bit close. Be sure to use good 8mm silicone wires.

Hedman also makes "Tight Tubes" headers that will work with angle plug type heads and are even closer than the Hooker type.

You can check them out at Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com/index.htmb

Guest Anonymous

I need to know what the final virdict is on this. I found a place that sells LT1 heads New for $198 ea fully assembled with 1.94,1.50 valves. I want to use some sort of block hugger header but wasn't even aware that it might be a problem. Let us all know what you finally find out!!!

SpencZ

Brian, What a nightmare i had with blockhugger and angleplug heads! I bought the summit brand block huggers and tried using them with the angle plug heads. They didnt work so i had to buy street rod headers with the 2 center tubes on the inside of the collector. this caused problems with steering rod clearace. Long

story short my engine sits up a little higher than it should....

Myron

Spence, what year are those heads? New model

lt1's are different than early model lt1 heads. Be careful. If you are looking to

put an lt1 in your car you can buy one

(down here in texas) pretty cheap. I think i was quoted an lt1 with a 6 speed with low miles for arond 1500.00..

what do you think guys??

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Myron, who makes the street rod headers you ended up using? Do you have a part#? Also, in the JTR manual, it mentions the early ramshorn manifolds can be angle milled to work, I wonder if the stock LT1 manifolds can be modified likewise. They dump at the rear, and don't like much to clear.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the help guys, however, I discovered that my homemade mount doesn't offset the engine enough to the pass. side. The stock manifolds should work after I build a new mount. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Brian, I bought mine from Street Rodders

Whse in Conroe Texas. I paid 125.00 for them.

The problem is that you have minimal clearance for your steering rod. I had to

dimple the collector a little bit. Plus

my engine sits up a little higher than it

should. I had to cut my hood. I am currently

trying to find a remote air cleaner that i can use with a stock hood. If it is not too late i would suggest maybe different heads.

The summit brand block huggers fit perfect

in the car but wont work with anlge plug

heads. If you need me to get you a set of

the street rod headers let me know.

Myron

Guest Anonymous

Myron...did you say and LT1 engine and a 6 spd for $1500.00??? If so I need you to tell me who to call. Even if shipping up to Maine is $500.00...I still would save a ton of money.

SpencZ

I use the Flow Tech Block Hugger 1 5/8th ceramic coated units. My heads are stright plug heads, and it is an ultra tight fit for the wires. I bought some MSD 8.5MM wires and some Hot boot high temp covers for the plugs that ran too close to the header for my taste. At $60 a set of wires, it only took cooking one wire to teach me a lesson there!

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk