HybridZ

Targa Top 240Z

Hey everyone. I don't know if there is someone on here that has done this already if so hit me up with some pics please. But I have been thinking about it and I can picture it done in my head and just think it could work as well as look alright for some weird reason if done right. I mean I loved my brothers 1998 Supra that had the targa top and just see the same concept done on a 240Z being done.

What do you guys think? Just a quick lock and unlock setup that can be stored correctly in the trunk just like the Supras.

This is the Hybridz site, right?

Cut that thing up!! Go wild. Hahaha

Good luck with it not caving in on you, though. The roof is an important part of the structure of a unibody. If you had a good roll cage with a targa top, I could see it working. Or if you somehow managed that newer porsche style where it retains the roof around the windows.

Everyone whom ever added a sunroof can tell you it leaks. (fyi)

This is the Hybridz site, right?

Cut that thing up!! Go wild. Hahaha

Good luck with it not caving in on you, though. The roof is an important part of the structure of a unibody. If you had a good roll cage with a targa top, I could see it working. Or if you somehow managed that newer porsche style where it retains the roof around the windows.

Everyone whom ever added a sunroof can tell you it leaks. (fyi)

See thats what I was thinking about the structure. I guess if it was to work right a roll cage would need to be added, which I plan to do anyway. Again just a thought.

You have to reinforce the chassis like convertible is done. There are two schools of thought here. One is to add 1x2†TS along the frame rails and the other is to add TS in the area next to the doors. I preferred that TS along the frame rails. It really need to be X braced in that there is significant flexing during cornering on my car. As I said do a search.

med_h_z_tube.jpg

Edited by SHO-Z

In my not-so-humble (but tongue in cheek) opinion...

The only way to convert a Z-car to a targa top is to walk up to one of these...

TargaPorsche.jpg

With one of these....

longacetylene.jpg

to remove this...

74_Porsche_Targa_Emblem.jpg

and then find a tasteful way to integrate it into the lines behind on the Datto. :P

There has been a 240z targa.

As i recall there was something with laminating of the glass making them shatter. All i have seen is an old advertisement showing T-tops for a 240Z as an aftermarket accessory. The ad was from the early 70's. It only had a picture and did not say who the maker was.

There was thread about it on zcar.com over 2 years ago, what i do know is that they are NLA.

Edited by frank280zx

There has been a 240z targa.

As i recall there was something with laminating of the glass making them shatter. All i have seen is an old advertisement showing T-tops for a 240Z as an aftermarket accessory. The ad was from the early 70's. It only had a picture and did not say who the maker was.

There was thread about it on zcar.com over 2 years ago, what i do know is that they are NLA.

I wasn't thinking of a targa top like on the 280ZX. So there would be no glass involved. I was thinking like a targa top from a Toyota Supra (MK III or MK IV)

I just bought a 76 Parts car with a Aftermarket t-top sunroof and it doesn't leak and the guy I bought it from has been letting it sit outside all winter and no signs of leaks since then or when I have had it. Besides nothing a little RTV sealant couldn't fix, but back to the Targa idea I think it sounds awesome :D I have even thought of doing a rag top on a 2+2 since it has a slightly longer roof and it could be made to retain most of the roof structure.