HybridZ

Quick Diff swap question

Mobious5

Hey guys, I have an 82 NA automatic so that means i have the R180 diff., Im not sure weather its long or short nose.

Basically i want to swap it out for an R200 with the same 3.54 gears. I want to know if my current CV axles and diff mounts will bolt up to another diff (R200)?

Thanks A lot!!

Do you know for sure which diffy you have? It could be an R200. The R200 is roughly square about 8" across and the R180 more rectangular about 6" wide (horizontal). Do a search someone posted pics of the two side by side on one of the forums. you need different half shafts due to the width of the R200 at least one anyway.

Why do this swap if you have a non-turbo automatic? The R180 is lighter and will have slightly less drivetrain loss.

also, are you sure you have CV half shafts? Only the 2+2 or the turbo models did in 1982-83 from what I know. The others, like yours, should have u-joint half shafts.

Sorry your right i don't have CV's i have U joints. And another reason i want to swap it out is because i'm starting to feel it slip, that and the u joints in the propeller shaft are old. All this combined calls for some replacement. Eventually i want to do some serious upgrades to the engine but for now, college lol.

The half shaft u-joints are usually the first to go. The driveshaft joints from what I have seen, can last forever. The ones in my first 280ZX were still solid after over 200,000 miles.

If you're switching out to an R200 and you find CV shafts to go with it at the same time, then sure I can see doing the whole setup at once. Plus you're replacing those worn u joint half shafts at the same time.