HybridZ

83 280zx turbo 798hp for sale on eBay!!!

• 1 month later...

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/1741514377.html

Straight quote, no snipping any statements out:

"5 angle valve job with heavily ported and polished head , ferrea oversized valves, custom intake manifold with 1 1/2 runners, wilson 90mm throttle body ,"

Thats 38.1mm ID runners on "oversized" valves. Did the numbers and the 90mm TB is *slightly* less cross-sectional than 6x1.5 inches, but still, how big are the valves? How big are the runners? HOW much HP was this supposed to make?

Edited by Daeron

Maybe the 4 huge bolts in the nose of the diff.....

Hard to detect sarcasm.  You aren't serious are you?  Apparently I don't need a mustache bar on the back of my R200.

Edited by cygnusx1

Hard to detect sarcasm.  You aren't serious are you?  Apparently I don't need a mustache bar on the back of my R200.

I am dead serious.

the stock axles will safely handle 800hp, and no, the read end doesnt need any further reiforcement.

Well two things. Those are not stock axles. And stock axles will not handle 800rwhp especially with slicks and trans brake.

out of all seriousness, i haven't seen many 1/4 mile built 280zx's, at least to the extent of the s30 chassis, let alone using a motor that was offered in the car. True some of the claims do sound way too good to be true, an easy solution to that? VIDEO! kind of surprised that for a 280zx that is as fast as claimed, would not have a nice bragging rights video attached or even a dyno sheet.

out of all seriousness, i haven't seen many 1/4 mile built 280zx's, at least to the extent of the s30 chassis, let alone using a motor that was offered in the car. True some of the claims do sound way too good to be true, an easy solution to that? VIDEO! kind of surprised that for a 280zx that is as fast as claimed, would not have a nice bragging rights video attached or even a dyno sheet.

True that

• Administrators

You'd think the owner could replace one of those pics of the exterior of the car with a pic of the dyno sheet to support the boastful claim? :unsure:

How about a picture or scan of this supposed 9 second 150+ track time? Nope, we are supposed to believe this car is as fast as the one in his video link because the engine has the appearance of a power house? So much money and go fast goodies and he cant even produce a dyno sheet, or time slip, real or fake to support his boastful claims? My tail is tingling...

And then that TB...

...custom intake manifold with 1 1/2 runners, wilson 90mm throttle body ,"

Thats 38.1mm ID runners on "oversized" valves. Did the numbers and the 90mm TB is *slightly* less cross-sectional than 6x1.5 inches, but still, how big are the valves? How big are the runners? HOW much HP was this supposed to make?

Not picking on you Daeron, just clarifying a little further regarding the TB and how much the engine is breathing. Even with an aggressive cam say running 300 degrees advertised duration. within a 720 degree cycle, and only 6 cylinders... that means only 2 of those 38.1mm intake ports are drawing air at any one time... If my math is right, even the stock 2" Z car TB is just starting to become restriction, a 60mm would more than adequate!

Just another example of more TB than what is needed. I expect to see that sort of grossly oversized component on a street/show car built by a car "enthusiast" in his garage, but not in a car that is 100% go, race car, function first, if it don't make it faster it's not needed, yet here it is! Makes me wonder what other aspects of the car were not "engineered" with performance as the prime directive? :unsure:

Every-time I see a grossly exaggerated TB on what is supposed to be a true "performance" engine with huge-by-large performance claims with no actual proof, there is good reason to be suspect of the claims and as professional engine builder, the person who gathered and assembled those components high performance engine building/tuning ability!

Lack of Dyno and time slip along with that gawdy T/B to me says any and all claims are very suspect, until proven other wise!

theres so many holes in the description when you break it down into details. The claims in the 1/4 mile? NOS? you can make the slowest car do a decent 1/4 with enough spray, probably blow it up in the process tho. And with a motor that was built for what is claimed as a race motor theres some things that look.. well, unprofessional or questionable.. silicone head gasket? How well does that work? Has anyone tried this? It beats having to resurface the head and spend the $15 on a new gasket. Just like the radiator fix junk you put in the coolant and the block fix. All wonderful products PROVEN to extend engine life and reliability. the claims are ambitious to say the least.

The inside tripod joint of the axles seems to be stock since you have to cut the metal collars to service them....and you have to change to a different style of boot retention once they are apart.

The outside could very well be non-stock and I'll bet the stub axles are improved.

Lets not forget this. He is trying to compare an L28et with god knows what inside it to a built vg30et in a z31.

My Car has not been to the track but the video below is of Franks car which is the tech that built my car @ World Wide Racing with mostly the same set up as mine Running low 9's at 150+ mph. He runs the v6 vg30 i run the l28 6 inline is the only difference. This video is just so you can have an idea of how this 280zx should run.

• 3 weeks later...

And then that TB...

Not picking on you Daeron, ...... Just another example of more TB than what is needed. I expect to see that sort of grossly oversized component on a street/show car built by a car "enthusiast" in his garage

I wasn't exactly pointing that the TB cross sectional area to runner or valve area was problematic.. just that one of your "huge by large" TBs was installed here, and they used those magical "oversized" size valves (thats a metric oversized, not a standard oversized.. Standard oversized valves in a boosted car would just be.. overkill.. ;) ) BUT THEY KEPT RUNNER DIAMETER NEARLY STOCK, which is the BIGGEST reason to take the bloody stock manifold off!!!

I had TOTALLY forgotten about this car in my little 3 week HybridZ vacation. Finding this thread again reminded me of the car, which just made me ANGRY, GRRRRRRRRRRR.. :twak:

How can people get so upset when they spew so much BS and get called for it?!!! And WHY do these people get to share Paradise with me when they are so ignorant and undeserving?! No angst directed your way, Paul; I failed to make the full comparison which was my bitter intent clearly in my first statement. I had to come back and do it with some pizzazz.

• 1 month later...