HybridZ

Installing Eibach Progressive Springs for 240Z

Hi

I bought this Eibach kit from MSA (MSA 6305.140) for my 1973 Datsun 240Z a while back. I'm having trouble determining which springs go in the front and which goes in the rear of the car. I'm hoping someone can help me.

There are two shorter springs marked: 260968 / 6305.202 and there are two longer springs marked: 245257 / 6305.001

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

UPDATE: Answer found: Thanks in particular to lowrider, but also Eibach and MSA. Click here for info

Best regards

Jeppe

Edited by degofedal

I believe the progressive ones with the more tightly coiled springs go in the front

Hi 240zBoy

Thanks for your reply. Are you talking from personal experience or best guess? I really need to be sure what goes where as i will not be installing them myself and don't want to be double charged because i gave my mechanic wrong instructions.

Thanks again.

Hi

I bought this Eibach kit from MSA (MSA 6305.140) for my 1973 Datsun 240Z a while back. I'm having trouble determining which springs go in the front and which goes in the rear of the car. I'm hoping someone can help me.

There are two shorter springs marked: 260968 / 6305.202 and there are two longer springs marked: 245257 / 6305.001

Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Best regards

Jeppe

I had this problem when i installed my springs. I installed the longer of the two in the rear...big mistake! i had to do the job twice!

The longer 6305.001 goes up front, while the shorter 6305.202 goes in the rear.

I had this problem when i installed my springs. I installed the longer of the two in the rear...big mistake! i had to do the job twice!

Hi lowrider

Thank you so much for your help - i really appreciate it. I will pass it on to my car guy. Have a great weekend.

Hi lowrider

Thank you so much for your help - i really appreciate it. I will pass it on to my car guy. Have a great weekend.

Your welcome!

Dont forget to post pictures of the car after you get the springs on.

Edited by lowrider

Your welcome!

Dont forget to post pictures of the car after you get the springs on.

I sure will :) Here's some pictures i took last summer for the the insurance agency. As you can see the car sits pretty high. I'm not sure if it's stock suspension or not. Anybody know what type of wheels these are? I haven't seen them on a Z before.

Thanks again.

post-7681-12704162504961_thumb.jpg

post-7681-12704162744817_thumb.jpg

post-7681-12704162895782_thumb.jpg

Yikes so the shorter progressive springs go in the rear??

I just started to install these exact springs with Tokico Hps and just finished the front up with the shorter progressive springs. I compared the longer of the two springs with my front stockers and they were the exact same height I easnt sure what went where either so I called the people at MSA told me the longer ones went in the back and the shorter springs up front!?! This is for a early 74 260Z.

Edited by SteveZ

Yikes so the shorter progressive springs go in the rear??

I just started to install these exact springs with Tokico Hps and just finished the front up with the shorter progressive springs. I compared the longer of the two springs with my front stockers and they were the exact same height I easnt sure what went where either so I called the people at MSA told me the longer ones went in the back and the shorter springs up front!?! This is for a early 74 260Z.

When i did mine on my early 260, i put the longer ones in the back the first time around. The rear was on the bumpstops, while the front was close to stock maybe a little lower. I changed them around, and problem solved. When i called MSA, the guy stated that the .001 went on the front.

I wrote an email to Eibach USA and MSA with the same question. Hopefully they will respond with the same answer. I will post here when they do.

SteveZ - would you mind reporting your results when you have completed installing them?

Thanks in advance.

When i did mine on my early 260, i put the longer ones in the back the first time around. The rear was on the bumpstops, while the front was close to stock maybe a little lower. I changed them around, and problem solved. When i called MSA, the guy stated that the .001 went on the front.

Yikes well Like I said before I just finished the fronts and havent touched the rears yet. I set the front end on the ground and its only sitting 1/4 inch lower than stock so it looks like ill be tearing the front suspension apart again and putting the taller springs in. It just seemed odd to me that the taller springs would go up front and the shorter in the rear. How much did they lower your car after they settled in?

Yikes well Like I said before I just finished the fronts and havent touched the rears yet. I set the front end on the ground and its only sitting 1/4 inch lower than stock so it looks like ill be tearing the front suspension apart again and putting the taller springs in. It just seemed odd to me that the taller springs would go up front and the shorter in the rear. How much did they lower your car after they settled in?

Photo0172.jpg

This is how the car looks with the springs backwards...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the front only lowered a 1/4 inch then you have them installed backwards.

As odd as it sounds, the length of the spring doesnt determine the spring rate. The progressive portion of the longer springs has less of a spring rate then the shorter of the two.

stock springs:

Photo0043.jpg

correctly installed Eibach:

Photo0216.jpg

Edited by lowrider

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the front only lowered a 1/4 inch then you have them installed backwards.

As odd as it sounds, the length of the spring doesnt determine the spring rate. The progressive portion of the longer springs has less of a spring rate then the shorter of the two.

Yea thats what I figured at least I caught it before I did the rears too. Thanks for the help.

From a support standpoint...you would think that Eibach or MSA would provide some sort of documentation for install...I'm pretty shocked that nothing was marked or basic install directions were included with the order. Honestly, how hard is it to include a sheet of paper with a couple of directions???

Hi Guys

Just got a reply from both Jay at MSA and Abel at Eibach to confirm lowriders info.

Jay / MSA:

The springs are marked with an identifying part number. The part number ending in 1 goes in the front and the part number ending in 2 goes in the rear. Please let me know if there is anything further I can do for you.

Abel / Eibach:

260968 / 6305.202: REAR install right side up so part#'s and Logo are facing up so you can read it properly.

245257 / 6305.001: FRONT same as above

Strange that they don't include this information in the packaging.

Went and checked my car for you and I have the progressives actually in the rear. It looked right before pulling my motor for the swap which then raised my front end really high haha. It also explained why I was able to compress the springs onto the strut assembly with my weight. Hope I did it right cause that was a PITA!!!! and let me say that twice cause I also put the front struts in the rear cartridge. Screw MSA though for not putting instructions in that dayuuum box. I still love you MSA though

Ok the taller springs on mine read:

280757. 6305.001

And the shorter ones read:

279928. 6305. 202

Uggh now I dont even know if I was sent the proper springs in the first place.

Maybe 260z springs are different from 240z. Did you contact MSA about it?

Yes I did no response yet......

Springs should be the same our boxes both read the same part # the prings inside just read different Im thinking they just may have updated the part #s as everything else looks the same but still waiting for a response from MSA on that

Oh. My. God.

I've been running the long ones in the back for over a year on my 280.... ._.

The original factory springs were longer in back so I figured it was the same relation with the Eibach progressives...

Edit: Just checked my springs, but mine are a different part #. Springs ending in 2 are in the back. Still, I remember from installation that they were the longer ones. Perhaps the 280z is different. All I know is that it seemed like the front dropped lower than the back did.

Edited by Oddmanout84