HybridZ

Coilover vs shocks? LS1 Build

I've been reading a lot of the threads here and I'm seeing a lot of you guys are running coilovers instead of shock/strut setups. What are the advantages to this? I also don't know what the bumpsteer spacers that are talked about are used for. I've got an LS1 and will be running 17" wheels. I would like to lower the car 1 to 2" as well. This car will be a street car and not a daily driver. What do you guys suggest? I've got to get these things ordered this week.

THANKS

Edited by ktmp

I've been reading a lot of the threads here and I'm seeing a lot of you guys are running coilovers instead of shock/strut setups. What are the advantages to this? I also don't know what the bumpsteer spacers that are talked about are used for. I've got an LS1 and will be running 17" wheels. I would like to lower the car 1 to 2" as well. This car will be a street car and not a daily driver. What do you guys suggest? I've got to get these things ordered this week.

THANKS

You need to read some more. On a S30 a coilover and a shock/strut are the same thing. The strut is the main suspension component and has the front spindle and rear hub castings integral to the strut tube.

You need to read some more. On a S30 a coilover and a shock/strut are the same thing. The strut is the main suspension component and has the front spindle and rear hub castings integral to the strut tube.

That makes sense. I just keep seeing threaded coilovers. I've been through a lot of post's and see that a lot of people are running the illuma series Tokico's and have mixed feelings on them. I've also read that the car will be no more than a hundred pounds heavier than the stock car with it's new drivetrain so i'm assuming the springs don't need to be adjusted/modified in any way. I need to order this week, any info would be great. THANKS

That makes sense. I just keep seeing threaded coilovers. I've been through a lot of post's and see that a lot of people are running the illuma series Tokico's and have mixed feelings on them. I've also read that the car will be no more than a hundred pounds heavier than the stock car with it's new drivetrain so i'm assuming the springs don't need to be adjusted/modified in any way. I need to order this week, any info would be great. THANKS

The threaded coilover sleeves slide over the strut tube.

Most folks like the Illuminas on a street/autox/open track car. Good compromise shock. Tokico makes a better shock, the HTS, that a few folks here are really happy with. Most folks who build a HybridZ change spring rates, shocks, anti-roll bars, and bushings to get a better handling car and something that's more capable of handling the higher speeds that come with a LS1 swap.

And you need to keep reading regarding vehicle weight. There's so much more involved in how much a HybridZ ends up weighing then just the engine and transmission.

Thanks for the replys. I am running all factory suspension arms/compnents at this point but with energy bushings, all new ball joints, and of course upgrading shocks and springs. I may also be changing out the sway bars to MSA's aftermarket ones. Oh, and the braking will either be the toyota fronts and zx rears with caliper bracket mod, or upgrading to MSA aftermarket 5 lug, still undecided. Would you suggest a spring/shock package that gives me the 1" drop or should I figure out a custom spring rate? I'm not sure how to go about this part yet. I read some posts that guys are running similar car setups with 1" drop springs and tokocos. THANKS

Thanks for the replys. I am running all factory suspension arms/compnents at this point but with energy bushings, all new ball joints, and of course upgrading shocks and springs. I may also be changing out the sway bars to MSA's aftermarket ones. Oh, and the braking will either be the toyota fronts and zx rears with caliper bracket mod, or upgrading to MSA aftermarket 5 lug, still undecided. Would you suggest a spring/shock package that gives me the 1" drop or should I figure out a custom spring rate? I'm not sure how to go about this part yet. I read some posts that guys are running similar car setups with 1" drop springs and tokocos. THANKS

OK, here's what I recommend as a base setup for a street S30:

1. Tokico Advanved Handling springs for a 280Z (185F, 200R). Some info here: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/88025-installing-tokico-280z-hp-springs-in-a-240z/

2. Tokico Illumina shocks (HTSs are a nice upgrade).

3. Suspension techniques anti-roll bar kit for a 240Z (1" front, 3/4" rear).

4. Slot the strut tower bolt holes to get more negative camber.

And here are my suggested alignment settings: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/60536-alignment-settings/

While we are on the subject,I was looking at the beta motorsports site, I see struts for shortened strut tubes available. How much do i need to take out of the tube to use these? I have ground control 250f and 300r coilovers. Any suggestions? Mostly track, some street car.