HybridZ

LS1 and SBC V8 Installation

badspeed2

Hey all,

About to start putting Chevy V8 engines into a white '87 300ZX Turbo with automatic. First up is an LS1 with a matching GM 4L60e auto trans. I'll start with pics of installation, then the clearances. Once I've designed mounts for that, and done more pics, it'll be removed, and an older 350 engine installed, more pics, more mounts, then more pics. If at the end you like what you see, I'll be offering all the measurements for making your own mounts, and I'll offer my design ready to install. Enjoy the show!

Edited by badspeed2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i would be interested in ls1 mounts too. let me know

I've been unable to log on for a while. My progress is slower than anticipated, there are already a few other guys doing this swap, who are telling about it on www.ls1tech.com

So far, noone is offering mounts or anything, and so far, noone is even commenting on which headers or exhaust manifolds, and which oilpan.

I'm trying to get my hands on a used '98-'02 Z28/TransAm LS1 pan, because new ones are $170.

Using this pan may require notching the crossmember, or a bit of hammering on the firewall, or both.

AutoKraft makes a pan that's rumored to fit, but it's $400, and might interfere with fitting an exhaust system.

The H3-Alpha oilpan would be an easy fit, but like the truck pan, would hang too low.

I'm also trying to get an '05-'06 'vette Ls2 pan for my LSx Fiero, but if I can get one, I'll also try it in here.

I have a lead on a T5 from a '92 Z28, and admittedly it's not very strong, but it is small and light, and places like Astro Perf. and G-Force can make it strong enough for 500 ft-lbs input torque.

The best alternative is the Tremec TKO600, but that runs around $1900 new. A used '88-up T5 with a kit is cheaper, lighter and smaller. Plus Nissan installed some T5s in some Z31s, so mounting and connecting the T5 should be easier. It may be possible to use certain stock driveshafts, while the tkO600 requires a different yoke on the front of the driveshaft.

Sorry no helpful pics yet.

• 2 months later...

I've been in the hospital for way too long, but I'm out now. I've had friends working on the '85 300ZX for me as a surprise gift, and it was touching. They've replaced the rear springs and shocks, primarily. The work looks good. Those springs will help me get the legs of a cherry picker under the car without hitting anything. Speaking of which, someone has donated a Chevy 350 block for my test-fitting, too. Everyone smiles, but noone's telling who. Still, there it sits. I'll get pics this afternoon, if at all possible.

The one on your left in the pic was on the passenger side. The bottom coil was broken. The other was torched to match. You should've seen the front springs. Torched until useless, the front was riding on the bump stops. Anyway, I'm frustrated that I have not found opportunity to pull the V6 and get going on the V8. I have the 350, and I have the LS1, plus an empty 4L60E case, all sitting ready for test-fitting.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested too. I have an 88T with stuck piston rings. I bought a 94 firebird formula with an LT4 and T56 JUST to get the drivetrain to go into my 300zx. I would love to buy a kit to make this happen or to find a builder in Virginia that specializes in these kinds of swaps. I do remember seeing a v8 300zx making passes at the local dragstrip a while ago. Unfortunately I was running my mustang at the time and not really paying much attention to it outside of noting it was pretty neat.

Subscribed.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...