HybridZ

Grafting a mustang front end on a 260z

suparman

So I have my Datsun and a 88 mustang donor car. I am ready to start building, however I was looking at the front clips and wondering about the advisability of grafting the front of the mustang to the front of the Datsun firewall. Gains would be keeping the k member and gaining width and lots more suspension options. All feedback and opinions welcome.

Honestly, I have no idea if it would work, Id imagine with enough money, anything is possible. But with saying that, Personally, I think it would be taking away from the sexy lines of the z. But that in itself is in the eye of the beholder. Im doing a ford v8 swap to mine when I get back. But there is no way I would want to change the body. Good luck.

Not trying to change the body lines. I was thinking I could swap the front ends around get a few advantages and still keep what the car originally looked like. I was thinking msa fenders with a gnose kit. The main reason for the idea was to get a wide wheel track and get a better suspension.

That answers that. I had thought since it was newer it would be better I'll just do the mount thing then.

Unfortunately that's not always the case. Manufacturers try to save money in a lot of places and, since 90% of the car drivers don't give a crap, suspensions tend to be marginal in low cost vehicles. Designs from the mid to late 1970s through the early 1980s can be pretty bad due to the oil shocks and recession that occurred during that time period. Engineering budgets at the OEMs were slashed.

Ford had the Fox chassis, GM had the X and J bodies, Chrysler had the K car, Nissan had the 310 and the Pulsar, Toyota had the Tercel, Ferrari had the 400, Porsche had the 924,...