HybridZ

Aeromotive A1000 fuel system setup

Oddmanout84

Well, recently I began to have (what seemed to be) fuel starvation issues on my L28ET. The engine one day about three weeks ago just decided it couldn't hold idle, and then wouldn't start at all. The fuel pump was louder with the key in the IGN position, no pressure at the rail. Then the next day, I got fuel pressure at the rail, but a loud whine from the (stock) pressure regulator, and fuel began to leak from both the regulator fittings and at the fuel filter. So, both were removed, and the tank was dropped. Brown fuel came out of the return line. So with the tank pulled I remembered I had a POR-15 sealer kit from over a year ago. The damage wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, only a couple tiny patches of rust in the tank. I treated the tank, and the liner is setting up inside as I type, and should be ready for fuel by Thursday.

I also have the stock 280z pump out. Surprisingly, its lasted 30 years, and even ran the turbo motor without a single leaning issue (mostly stock zxT setup, 10-13lbs max). I was hoping the little thimble strainer in the inlet side would tell me a story, but I didn't find much debris. That and I completely destroyed it trying to pull it out, as carefully as I may have tried. I'm willing to bet the pump is still good for a little while longer, but I still ordered a replacement.

On its way to my door is an Aeromotive A1000, A1000-6 FPR, 2 Summit -8 steel mesh filters (40 and 100 micron) and the associated AN barb fittings to connect it all to my current plumbing. Now, I had planned to replace all the lines with -8 feed and -6 return, as well as replacing the associated hard lines under the chassis with matching sized lines. Unfortunately, all that stainless braided line and the fuel cell I had planned will have to wait at least a month due to budget concerns. The current EFI hose and hard lines *seem* to be of comparable size, so I was going to try hooking the new setup to them and see if the car will run.

So basically what I'm asking is am I about to do anything stupid. Yes, because I am dumb I fell for the shiny Aeromotive and bought a pump (purportedly) capable of supporting a 1000hp car when I myself never plan to go beyond 350-400. I'm running stock 280zxT injectors currently, but plan to replace them with larger ones sometime soon. The new pump is going to be mounted in the stock location as low as possible, with the 100 micron filter between it and the tank, and the 40 micron before the fuel rail.

Am I out of my mind to think that I should try running it before I replace the lines with stainless? I don't have the little Aeromotive fuel pump speed control so I know its going to run balls to the wall whenever the car is on. If someone knows that I'm going to overheat and cavitate the new pump on my stock '78 280z lines, please let me know. I know Big_Phil used to run one on his beast, and it looked like he was running similar to stock lines in the video but I wasn't sure. Yes, I have been lurking on this subject for weeks in the forum, but because I didn't find everything, it makes me wonder.

If anyone has any useful info to put my mind at ease (or otherwise), thanks in advance.

If I'm asking a stupid question to which the answer is right in front of my face or buried under 10 years of posts, please let me know. I'm still learning...

-Chris

I'm sort of doing the same thing with my 1970Z. I'm keeping the RB26DETT stock for now but don't want to limit the top end when I upgrade so...

Aeromotive stealth fuel cell w/eliminator fuel pump

fueltank005.jpg

4-3-10005.jpg

40 micron filter

4-3-10007.jpg

And presently working on -8 (1/2 inch) SS fuel lines.

4-18-10014.jpg

4-18-10020.jpg

I wanted fuel lines that can support 500+HP and run them outside the car. Aluminum tubing supports the pressure but what about corrosion and rocks and damage. I could have used steel braided lines but the OD is bigger and need more clamps and support.

So...I'm with you...

Gord

QUOTES: "So basically what I'm asking is am I about to do anything stupid? Am I out of my mind to think that I should try running it before I replace the lines with stainless?"

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. The new Aeromotive parts you have ordered are top quality. If you are asking will the original line not burst under to new pump's pressure, perhaps, but I doubt it. You are on the correct track and if you are really concerned about the old lines, keep your can on the jack stands for a few more weeks until you are able to get the other parts needed. It's a whole lot easier to do the job the correct way first. By the way, the Aeromotive pump is a noisy beast. Trust me, you will know when it's running!

Edited by Mayolives

gmac708, that's one nice setup you got there. Where did you get the SS -8 fuel lines? I've been searching summit and so far I've only seen 3/8 at the largest for stainless.

QUOTES: "So basically what I'm asking is am I about to do anything stupid? Am I out of my mind to think that I should try running it before I replace the lines with stainless?"

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. The new Aeromotive parts you have ordered are top quality. If you are asking will the original line not burst under to new pump's pressure, perhaps, but I doubt it. You are on the correct track and if you are really concerned about the old lines, keep your can on the jack stands for a few more weeks until you are able to get the other parts needed. It's a whole lot easier to do the job the correct way first. By the way, the Aeromotive pump is a noisy beast. Trust me, you will know when it's running!

Oh yes, I've seen videos of the noise it makes. I have several ideas for rubber isolators that will hopefully reduce the noise somewhat. That pump is huge too, much bigger than I thought it was going to be. I guess I wasn't clear with my questions, but my main concerns were that the pump (being much larger and more powerful) was going to be strained trying to push a greater amount of fuel through the stock-sized lines and possibly burn itself out. I definitely know now that I will be waiting until I have the rest of my setup before the pump itself is installed, though. The -8 barb fittings are simply way too large to fit the stock lines, and I'm afraid that I'll make a fiery mess of myself if I try to cheat and get one-size-up EFI line from the local store and try to slip it over my stock hard lines. That said, I'm not terribly worried about my stock EFI soft lines bursting, I replaced them less than a year ago.

I'm running an A1000 pump on my LS1 swapped car as well.

My setup is:

Stock tank => -10AN supply to pump =>-8AN feed to Aeromotive filter => -8AN feed to Aeromotive regulator in engine bay => -6AN to rail. -6AN return to tank. All stainless braided lines.

Pump is a tad loud to some people, but its quieter than the Holley Red carb fuel pump the car had on it for the I6 and I personally don't mind it.

post-3124-12721245705397_thumb.jpg

I'm running an A1000 pump on my LS1 swapped car as well.

My setup is:

Stock tank => -10AN supply to pump =>-8AN feed to Aeromotive filter => -8AN feed to Aeromotive regulator in engine bay => -6AN to rail. -6AN return to tank. All stainless braided lines.

Pump is a tad loud to some people, but its quieter than the Holley Red carb fuel pump the car had on it for the I6 and I personally don't mind it.

Janaka if I may ask, how did you connect the -10 line to the stock tank? Did you use a flaring tool on the stock pickup line out of the tank or did you just solder the stock lines shut and weld in some AN fittings? There seems to be waaay too much of a size disparity between the stock feed line and -10 line to safely clamp the hose down and keep it from leaking.

From the Aeromotive installation instructions:

To use this pump in your vehicle’s fuel system, we strongly recommend the following:

- A by-pass style fuel pressure regulator must be used in the system.

- Utilize AN-10 size high pressure fuel lines, fittings and o-rings for all connections from the fuel tank pickup to the fuel rails in the engine compartment. (Call Aeromotive for availability.)

- Gravity feed the pump by mounting it lower than and as close as possible to the fuel tank.

- If you are using a stock fuel tank, install a reservoir style sump in the bottom-rear of your fuel tank. Exercise extreme caution and follow all manufacturer’s recommendations when installing a reservoir style sump.

- If you choose not to install a reservoir style sump, then you must install a high flow capacity fuel tank pickup.(Installing a high flow pickup instead of a reservoir style sump may shorten the fuel pump life and cause driveability problems. When using a pickup, you should maintain at least ½ tank of fuel in the vehicle at all times, to avoid possible engine &/or fuel pump damage.)

- For long term driving applications where continuous run times exceed 30 minutes and fuel capacity is less then 10 gallons, Aeromotive recommends the installation of a pump voltage control module, Aeromotive p/n 16302

Failure to follow the above recommendations may result in fuel leakage, bursting of the fuel lines, poor vehicle performance and/or decreased fuel pump life! Improper installation will void all warranties for this product!

pumps get loud when they don't get enough fuel.

if you plan the run the aeromotive pump on the street then you must use the motor controller. the aeromotove pump will burn out running full speed all the time.

I recently installed a bosch 044 and it works nicely.

The filter sizes are not recommended in the applications you listed. The 40 micron should go before the pump and a 10 micron should be installed after the pump. Aeromotive makes a nice high flow 10 micron filter.

The filter sizes are not recommended in the applications you listed. The 40 micron should go before the pump and a 10 micron should be installed after the pump. Aeromotive makes a nice high flow 10 micron filter.

Aeromotive recommends a 100 micron filter between the tank and the pump and a 40 micron filter before the fuel rail. Unless I'm missing something, Oddmanout is using the correct filters setup the correct way.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/aei-11101.pdf

Aeromotive recommends a 100 micron filter between the tank and the pump and a 40 micron filter before the fuel rail. Unless I'm missing something, Oddmanout is using the correct filters setup the correct way.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/aei-11101.pdf

You are missing something: http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/11101.pdf

Says to install a 12301 filter post-pump: http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/fuel-filters/page/2/

A 12301 is a 10 micron filter.

Edited by ktm

You are missing something: http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/11101.pdf

Says to install a 12301 filter post-pump: http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/fuel-filters/page/2/

A 12301 is a 10 micron filter.

must be a misprint. This is from aeromotive's website;

"The filter element used on the inlet side of any Aeromotive fuel pump may be no finer than 100-micron (no number smaller than 100), with a surface area of 60 square inches or more."

http://aeromotiveinc.com/2010/01/fuel-filtration/

must be a misprint. This is from aeromotive's website;

"The filter element used on the inlet side of any Aeromotive fuel pump may be no finer than 100-micron (no number smaller than 100), with a surface area of 60 square inches or more."

http://aeromotiveinc.com/2010/01/fuel-filtration/

As are mine. You assumed I was referring to the pre-pump filter, but I clearly stated post-pump. I was replying to rossman who stated that a 40 micron was recommended by Aeromotive after the fuel pump.

As are mine. You assumed I was referring to the pre-pump filter, but I clearly stated post-pump. I was replying to rossman who stated that a 40 micron was recommended by Aeromotive after the fuel pump.

I could have sworn your previous post said 10 or 40 micron before the pump. I must be seeing things. :blink: Regardless, I was in error. Aeromotive recommends 10 micron post pump.