HybridZ

Daryl_db's 1973 240z build

I just picked up a 73 Datsun 240z for 2k. Along with the sale of the Z, it came with enough parts to fill a 17 foot Uhaul box truck. As soon as I got home and unloaded the Z and the Uhaul truck, I had to find a place for all of the parts.

So far I have sold about 50% of the parts and was able to gain 1800 bucks back into my pocket.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I started with stripping the Z’s interior and exterior. As soon as I got a free moment I wanted to start repairing all of the rust issues.

I started with the passenger side door jam and worked my way down to the floor board.

1.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

1.jpg

Shaved the gas door

10.jpg

11.jpg

Started working on the roll pan. The Z had been wrecked slightly on the passenger side. I was able to get most of the dents pulled and decided that I wanted to fabricate a new roll pan. As soon as I was done cutting out the old metal, I thought that it was a good idea to hold out on the roll pan until I finished installing the 15 gallon RCI fuel cell.

15.jpg

The RCI 15 gallon fuel cell with sending unit is on order. I got a sweet deal on it on eBay. $195 shipped.

Well today I started to work on the driver’s side floor board and worked my way up to the floor pan and the door jam.

4.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

20.jpg

Edited by daryl_db

• 1 year later...

I wanted to post an update. I took almost a year off from the build and I finally decided to get back on track. After screwing with the car on the ground, I decided to put it on a rotisserie. This made the whole process a lot easier. I will post pictures as soon as I can find them.

All of the floor pans have been replaced and I upgraded the frame rails. I removed all of the old undercoating to find more rust. After I fixed the rust spots, I sealed the undercarriage with epoxy primer and laid down new undercoating.

I also powder coated all of the suspension parts myself. Instead of paying someone else to do the work, I decided to try powder coating myself. I built an oven 6’ X 3’ X 3’. It works great and I am able to make a little money on the side powder coating for others.

Pictures of the oven

oven1.jpg

oven2.jpg

oven3.jpg

oven4.jpg

oven5.jpg

Dec 15, 2011

Car comes off the rotisserie. I installed all of the suspension before I took I off the rotisserie so I didn’t have to lay on my back to do it.

sus1.jpg

sus2.jpg

Jan 8th 2012

I decided to go with a LS1 and a T56 combo. I just bought the engine and transmission for a sweet deal. I am planning on doing so work to the engine before I install it into the car. I bought a LS6 intake, valve springs, push rods, and trying to figure out the cam I want to go with.

Jan 21th 2012

I am in the body work stage at the moment. I just laid down epoxy primer on the shell.

Jan 22nd 2012

I just finished with the last rust repair. I hope to have all of the panels ready for paint in the next couple of weeks. It’s very hard for me to get motivated when it’s cold in the garage. I have a heater but I think Im just being a lazy ass.

Edited by daryl_db

• 7 months later...