HybridZ

'75 280Z LS1 build

I finally have all the parts for my '75 280Z together. LS1 + T56, JCI kit, Tokico reds, Sanderson shorty headers, JTR radiator, Lincoln MK VIII fan, LS1 fuel tank, Racetronix fuel pump, Centerline 16x8 +0 w/ Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs... so sweet.

Picture album here

Having Swift Performance Automotive in Norwich, CT put it together for me. Going to get a complete chassis re-wiring, and mandrel bent SS dual exhaust for it. Interior and paint will come later, unfortunately.

I would be doing this myself, but I'm in the Navy, and have very little spare time.

• 8 months later...

My original Z, a '78 in beautiful factory metallic blue, suffered a fatal electrical fire (internal battery short, fire investigator said) in October of '09, so eventually, a replacement was had. A fellow in TX had a "mostly rust free" '75 in Maroon. Shell only, with aftermarket wheels. For $500, why not?

It was a real doozy. There was also a hole in the passenger footwell (which he had alluded to), some minor rust on the front right quarter panel, and as it turned out, all over the seams for the floorpans. Also, the rear strut braces.

Due to my boat (USS MISSOURI) being gone for most of the year, I gave the car up to a local speed shop and waited. And waited. And waited. Nine months later, I finally took delivery. The tach isn't in, the speedo sending unit isn't working, the heater doesn't work, the turn signals don't work, and it goes like a bat out of hell :D

Drove it home tonight in the brisk New England air, ambient temperature 14F. Surprisingly, the Dear-God-These-Are-Summer-Only (Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec) tires actually bit around 3rd gear. Didn't do any hell runs to avoid attracting imperial attention, but anything below 5th pushes you back, and past what I assume is about 3K RPM, glorious, glorious noises ensue. Fine, I lied... on the onramp I nailed it in 2nd and after it decided to go straight, I snagged 3rd (traction, yay!) and watched as headlights behind me disappeared. Probably only about 80 MPH or so if I had to guess, but getting there is such a rush.

So now, specs:

'99 LS1 w/ T56

JTR CAI

Sanderson shorty headers

Texas Speed ported LS6 oil pump

South Bend Stage II clutch

Stock rearend, w/ RT Diff mount

JTR radiator w/ Lincoln MK VIII fan

Stock ECU w/ Wait4Me Performance tune

Speartech reworked harness

Stock rear brakes, Brembos in front w/ Hawk HPS pads, Russell braided brake lines

Painless 18 circuit wiring harness

Tokico Illuminas

Urethane bushing kit

Camaro fuel tank, with Racetronix kit

Centerline 16x8 +0 offset (those also took about 6 months to snag...)

Total price was, um... probably pushing $11K all said and done. (and it still needs paint!)

I love it!

post-3958-068380600 1295913402_thumb.jpg

post-3958-060579700 1295913408_thumb.jpg

post-3958-074872600 1295913413_thumb.jpg

post-3958-052050600 1295913419_thumb.jpg

First of all, here's a video of it revving, and two more pictures (because everyone does). The "HEY!" at the end is my wife coming out to yell at me for making the house rattle:D

Quick idle rev

As to the clutch, from what little I've driven it so far, I like it. It's quite grabby (550 lb-ft max rating), but smooth engagement. Not abrupt at all. No more difficulty in clutch feel than stock 280Z (never driven an F-body, so I can't comment on its feel).

post-3958-047187800 1296080329_thumb.jpg

post-3958-035801700 1296080336_thumb.jpg

Can't believe your wife didn't appreciate the throaty rev of an LS1 as much as you do!!

Mine doesn't either. :lol:

Nice progress...keep the updates comin'!

LOL. I sometimes wish my fiance was the type who loved it. Some girls just don't get it. At least she's down to get her hands dirty and wrench on the Z with me though. I've been told I'm lucky in that regard ;)

Just put in some fuel stabilizer, since it won't be driven much for awhile. The bottle said to run the engine for 5 minutes after. Seemed reasonable.

Dry roads and daylight proved beneficial. Wound the motor up to near readline (at least, the torque tapered off - still no tach) in 2nd and 3rd this time. Got going way too fast, discovered something: the rear tires are too wide for the fenders, even after being rolled. Result is they are being shaved at a disturbing rate. I'm wondering if I stiffened the suspension (on all 4 wheels, naturally) if that would help; the Tokico Illuminas have 5 settings, and it's currently on 1 [Lowest]. Only other alternative is, of course, fender flares, which I am loathe to do.

IMG_20110130_123403.jpg