HybridZ

How do I remove this bolt? It aint budging.

Hey guys. So I am in the process of cutting my springs and I have run into a little problem. Removing the rear struts is a tad more difficult than removing the fronts. There is this bolt that connects the strut assembly to the rear suspension art that refuses to play ball. How the hell do you take this thing out? Do you hammer it out with a socket over the threads? Do you pull it out with some specialty tool? I really wanna get my Z back out on the road. Plus with every day that passes I forget more and more how to put her back together.

My Chiltons manual was absolutely no help. Talked a ton about the front, but didnt say much on this issue.

thanks guys

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

If you're just cutting the springs, you're probably better off not removing the spindle pin. It will cost you time for sure, and probably some extra money.

Edited by NewZed

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/suspension/rearend/index.html

Your in for some fun.

Probably the two hardest jobs on a Z. Do a search for "spindle pin" as well as "hub nut"

Thats a great link, Jeff thanks. And your right, thats one hell of a job.

If you're just cutting the springs, you're probably better off not removing the spindle pin. It will cost you time for sure, and probably some extra money.

I think you may be right. There is something in me that loves to take **** apart to see how it works, but I think that should wait. Because it always seems that when I take something apart on the Z, I just end up spending more money on replacing bushings, brake lines, ect. And your right, to cut the springs I dont NEED to remove this bastard bolt.

You win this time bolt, but I'll be back.

How stuck are we talking? destroy it beating it out stuck, or fused into a solid piece of steel stuck? Seems like you could start it by putting a nut on the end to protect the threads and going crazy on it with a hammer. A slide hammer might be better for pulling it out. obviously a press would be tops. If you can get a grip on the base with a good sized puller that should do it without damaging it though right?

• 5 months later...

I would recommend just taking them to a good local machine shop and asking them to press them out. I dropped it off in the morning and got them back by closing time, $25 for everything. Saved me hours of headache and uncertainty. Replace the pin with a 5/8 grade 8 bolt and never have the problem again.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

I removed mine on my car by doing the thread the bolt on suggestion a while ago and I had no problems, Though I think one may have been replaced at some time because it was basically rust free while the other had some problems. Maybe being that my car had been a stock track car may have helped keep things loose.