HybridZ

SR20 transmissions

Matt 78Z

I've been looking at the SR20 tranny swap. Got a guy with one and I'm wondering what the going rate is. It is clean and in good condition. He won't come up with a price and I don't want to overpay. I don't see prices searching zcar or hybrid, there is a nice write up on installation here that is helpful.

Thanks

Matt

Is it already modified and ready to bolt up to an L-series?

If so I'd offer around $250(maybe lower, since he wants to bargain) and not go over $275-300 for it depending on proof of condition.

It's been awhile since I've looked at everything that needs to be done, but iirc, you could pick the trans up for $150-200 and have it modified for less than a hundred at a machine shop.

Thanks,

It is completely stock, no mods for conversion. Looks like I can get it cheap. I'm reading about the changes and am wondering if it's worth it. I'll be going with an LS1 next year.

If you know someone who wants one let me know.

Edited by Matt 78Z

Shouldn't this be in the transmission forum?

Regardless, if you're going to do this swap, find a gearbox from an S14 (KA or SR). They are stronger, with wider gears, and a thicker output shaft. They are also full synchro boxes, even on reverse.

Go here http://www.motortopi...ansmission_swap for the full write-up.

S13 gear width

IMG_2816JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

S14 gear width

IMG_2784JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

S13 output shaft diameter

IMG_2825JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

S14 output shaft diameter

IMG_2811JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Unless I missed something, aren't the gear ratios between the FS5W71 that came with the L-series almost identical to the S13/S14 ratios? Unless you're looking for the 6spd. Which I heave heard, but have no personal experience with, have relatively weak internals. I know you can find the 6spds on eBay for around ~500, because people buy the S15 SR20s and ditch the 6spds.

I know you can find the FS5R30A which is damn near bullet proof for relatively cheap and it can be adapted to the L-series motors. They came in the 88-89 Z31s, most of the Nissan trucks (hard-body, frontier, pathfinder, etc.). Don't know if that helps any.

If you're going to swap for LS1, I'd save any money you're going to spend on another transmission and put it towards a TKO6 or something sweet like that.