HybridZ

thinking about twice pipes

xxxpatsabxxx

hey everyone ive been searching for a new exhaust setup (because i got some second hand msa headers)but since they were second hand, the setup was missing the 2 into 1 collector. http://www.thezstore.com/store/graphics/00000001/group156002.jpg

so right now it is just the headers. i was wondering if i should go for the twice pipes or some other setup. i was thinking twice pipes because the reviews say they're great, but alittle on the loud side. and from the design it looks straight forward except for the initial single inlet on the twice pipes.

i was thinking i could just chop the collector on the twice pipes and go for a true dual exhaust setup or should i try and track down or order the header collector?

as for now im stuck in exhaust limbo and i could really use the help of those with exhaust experience

thanks.

I wouldn't recommend buying this, I purchased a set from MSA and I was not pleased with them. First, several of the pipes had surface corrosion, and one piece had rust, 2nd two of the pipes were short and had the wrong ID; i had to replace them, for the price of these it seems cheaper to get these made at a local exhaust shop IMO. or go with 2.5" - 3" depending on your setup.

If the header is an MSA header and it is simply missing the little Y-pipe, you can also order that from MSA. I did just that, once upon a time, and it was 20 or 30 bucks IIRC. Call them up and speak to them, in five minutes you can ask about four or five questions and they'll answer with a smile and let you hang up to think about what you want to do.

Edited by Daeron

gosh... now im stuck in a rut...

most of the twice pipe threads have positive reviews towards MSA and their products, but surface corrosion on a new product is something i may not want to risk out of the box.

ive been doing some shopping around and the muffler shops around here and they charge around 150 for just just a single pipe all the way back. =| ive got a bunch of flowmaster 40's laying around but im not sure how 2 of them would sound on the car.

im going to call MSA today and ask them a bunch of questions.

Edited by xxxpatsabxxx

I've had the kit on two of my cars and it is currently on my '75. Any rust that is on there you can grind out and then paint over with some VHT paint. The paint on mine is holding up just fine and I daily it. Little on the loud side but everyone that has heard it loves it.

I've had the kit on two of my cars and it is currently on my '75. Any rust that is on there you can grind out and then paint over with some VHT paint. The paint on mine is holding up just fine and I daily it. Little on the loud side but everyone that has heard it loves it.

yea i think im going with the twice pipe setup from the site. i did alot of research and found that building a copy of or something close to their design would cost the same or slightly more. I guess if it's too loud i can just put some resonators under the drive line like. ..

this

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29239&d=1239218065

now i need to decide whether or not i should go true duals or buy the Y pipe... :unsure:

yea i think im going with the twice pipe setup from the site. i did alot of research and found that building a copy of or something close to their design would cost the same or slightly more. I guess if it's too loud i can just put some resonators under the drive line like. ..

this

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29239&d=1239218065

now i need to decide whether or not i should go true duals or buy the Y pipe... :unsure:

Get the Y-pipe. As long as the design is not restrictive (I don't think it should be because the MSA one collects into 2.5" piping, I believe) then it should be beneficial. You will gain cylinder scavenging from having the exhaust flow collect into one pipe.

if you must go dual pips at least make it true duals and forget that y-pipe.

I personally just got done with a header mistake from MSA, one of the welds was busted, but all I did was call them up and they were more than willing to swap it out for a new one without a hint of a charge. As far as fit goes, the MSA Y-pipe connected to the header hangs way too low under the car, but with a couple quick cuts on the header I was able to get it fitting quite snugly under the car.

and if you dont want surface corrosion get the aluminized, or stainless steel version. If you live in an area where rust is not something to really worry about then get the regular stuff and spray paint some high temp on and call it a day.

well im a pretty good welder so the modifications to the y pipe should be pretty easy. one of my main incentives of not going true duals is the fact that the twice pipes start at a single collector... if i were to go true duals i would have to chop the y on the pipes and get new collectors from summit racing....

thanks for the input guys...

The "muffler" pieces on the twice pipes are pretty much a pair of resonators to begin with, so IDK if adding additional resonators to lessen the exhaust noise would be efficient, IMO.

Then again, I'm the one whose anti-Twice Pipes to begin with, so my opinion may not amount to much, I'm just only speaking of my personal experience.

People shouldn't get twice pipes if they don't want their car to be loud lol. Its louder than a flowmaster, turbo muffler, magnaflow etc BUT if your car is efi like mine is, it really isn't that bad. My buddy's 240 with triple carbs, 2.5in piping to an Apexi muffler is slightly louder than mine. Another buddy's is triple carbs with the twice pipes and his is louder too.

Do your research and worst case scenario, you're down a couple hundred bucks ;)

I have just learned recently that true duals coming off of a header with a pair of glasspacks is NOT enough noise suppression. My car is so freakin loud that i am ordering different mufflers ASAP. I would have not guessed that it would have been this loud, but the glasspacks do nothing, so I am basically running dual straight pipes. I am going to fit the biggest magnaflow mufflers i can fit under there(which won't be very big) and hopes that this will be sufficient. If that isn't enough, then i will add resonators upstream. And I thought my crossover pipe would help with the noise-yeh right. The only reason i say magnaflow is that the one I put on my daughter's car-- zxt and it sounds awesome with her 3" exhaust.