HybridZ

Air Filter for rb25det

rayaapp2

The first air filter I ran on my RB was a K&N 3" cone filter. With only a few hundred miles the filter collapsed. I was forced to walk into the closest auto store(think it was Kragen) and buy a "Spectre" universal cone filter. The filter was suppose to be temporary. Well it has been a year. Ive cleaned it several times and it has turned out to be not so bad. Its time to grow up though. Im seriously considering installing a typical square filter in a custom box up front like a stock Nissan filter for a newer car. Id go for a stock 280Z air box if the intercooler wasn't in the way.

Ive thought of all sorts of air filters. The HKS style or whatever brand floats your boat mushroom foam filter are not really suitable for daily road conditions though they flow really well. I am unsure one of those mushroom filters would even fit. Im over the cheap filters and the K&N filters. They have been a constant headache and worry.

The deal is that I would like it to fit in front of the intercooler somewhere. Im worried about blocking airflow to the intercooler and radiator. The current cone filter hits and rubs the hood when the hood is closed. Im not fawn of it moving and rubbing the intercooler either. Its not a good situation. I regularly see bugs stuck in the cone as well... I wonder is sand could blast its way through. There isnt much room on either side of the intercooler for a filter or box.

engine%20bay%205-27-10%20L1.JPG

engine%20bay%205-27-10%20R1.JPG

So here is where I am open to suggestions opinions. What ever I use must be able to stand up to the suction and be able to filter while still flow well. Im sure there is a way to determine what filter by air flow, filter size, and filter mess flow, but Im lost there. I can get measurements for anyone willing to get involved in detail.

Thanks guys

Why exactly are you against K&N? I know you said you're filter collapsed but was that because it was being squeezed into a space it wasn't really designed to fit? I've never heard any complaints on them collapsing (as you hear with old paper style filters when they get clogged with dirt)

Edited by 10cjennings

My last one collapsed on itself, but I also dont want to run an oiled filter... Any over oilage at all and you risk damaging the MAF sensor with the oil. Oil isnt metered when applied so its a guessing game at best depending on your experience. Its just not worth the hassle for me.

Ray

My last one collapsed on itself, but I also dont want to run an oiled filter... Any over oilage at all and you risk damaging the MAF sensor with the oil. Oil isnt metered when applied so its a guessing game at best depending on your experience. Its just not worth the hassle for me.

Ray

Fair enough. I've got a couple friends running apexi air filters, and no complaints.

I run a Nismo filter, the same ones that came with the 350Z Nismo Intake System. Never had it collapsed on me..I'm almost 100% positive that it's also made by K&N. Apex filters are also really good as well. I would avoid HKS filter as other people have stated. I'm really curious as to why your filter collapsed, I'm running the same motor and almost the same filter. My filter is set-up differently though, it's still in the engine bay behind the radiator

I can also attest to the Apexi filter. I've put a fair amount of miles on mine and it has been great thus far, plus you get the convinience of simply bolting it to the maf. I believe the HKS one is only for like racing, not for daily/road use.

Edited by jakeoster

Almost Unanimous! APEXi.

I assume you all are talking about this one?

Apexi_507A021_2_1520_1521_1522.jpg

apexi-air-filter.jpg

It appears to be similarly priced to other high quality filters out there. ~$50-$60 for the filter

Would you guys be willing to post a part number or link to where you bought yours?

Then there is the matter of install. Those of you that installed this filter did so in the engine bay and attached it to the MAF. I would want to put the air filter up front where the current one is.

I think I will have to remove the torsion bar hood spring and install the filter so that it points nose cone down.

Almost Unanimous! APEXi.

I assume you all are talking about this one?

Apexi_507A021_2_1520_1521_1522.jpg

apexi-air-filter.jpg

It appears to be similarly priced to other high quality filters out there. ~$50-$60 for the filter

Would you guys be willing to post a part number or link to where you bought yours?

Then there is the matter of install. Those of you that installed this filter did so in the engine bay and attached it to the MAF. I would want to put the air filter up front where the current one is.

I think I will have to remove the torsion bar hood spring and install the filter so that it points nose cone down.

I got mine from eBay. Thats probably your best bet. My link

I think Kragen has this little Specture MAF to filter adapter that might work for you if your not going to mount the filter to the MAF.

• 1 month later...

Off topic... does anyone know if the Apexi filter is washable of some sort?

No, it's not designed to be washed. It's a zero maintenance filter meaning you don't have to oil it or anything either. You can take it off and use compressed air to give it a cleaning if need be.