HybridZ

Change tailhouse on a T5 WC

Rune K

Hi what are my options on relocating the shifter.

dose a tailhouse from a NWC fit on a WC (same axle dimentions?)

Is there a shifter relocator kit that i dont need to change the tailhouse.

Im working on a 240Z TVR Speed six engine swap.

post-10025-12760271853879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rune K

Not sure exactly which parts are interchangeable, but the Nissan T5, Ford T5, and Camaro T5 all have the shifter mounted much further to the rear. Shouldn't be too hard to find a grenaded non-WC Ford trans for experimentation. Mustang and Nissan use same shifter setup.

Hi what are my options on relocating the shifter.

dose a tailhouse from a NWC fit on a WC (same axle dimentions?)

Is there a shifter relocator kit that i dont need to change the tailhouse.

Im working on a 240Z TVR Speed six engine swap.

You may have to swap th eoutput shaft as well. From looking at the above picture, that tail housing looks quite a bit longer than I have seen come out of a Mustang, Camaro, or even S-10. (S-10 shifter is in a similar location to what you already have.) I don't recall what swapping the output shaft would require, it's been a while since I had a T5 apart.

• 8 months later...

I know this is an older thread, BUT.

I have a GM WC T5 and a Ford T5 tail shaft. Both of these transmissions were canted from the bellhousing thus giving you a 17 Degree tilt in the mount when mounted up right. There are other tailhousings out there that leave the transmission upright without a canted mount.

The Nissan and S10 are the ones I know of, there should be other across the pond in Europe as a few T5s were stock in European fords.

What I do know for a FACT, is that you can use the Ford tailhousing on the GM transmission and vise versa so long as you keep the shifter rods, forks, and top cover with the correct tailhousing.

I am waiting on my Nissan T5 to come in so that I can take a look and see what's up with it and whether I can adapt it to the GM transmission. This would be optimum for my swap.

I know this is an older thread, BUT.

I have a GM WC T5 and a Ford T5 tail shaft. Both of these transmissions were canted from the bellhousing thus giving you a 17 Degree tilt in the mount when mounted up right. There are other tailhousings out there that leave the transmission upright without a canted mount.

The Nissan and S10 are the ones I know of, there should be other across the pond in Europe as a few T5s were stock in European fords.

What I do know for a FACT, is that you can use the Ford tailhousing on the GM transmission and vise versa so long as you keep the shifter rods, forks, and top cover with the correct tailhousing.

I am waiting on my Nissan T5 to come in so that I can take a look and see what's up with it and whether I can adapt it to the GM transmission. This would be optimum for my swap.

FWIW, I just bumped a related thread where I showed what I did with the Nissan T5 tailshaft housing in order to use the gForce gearset, maybe it will help a bit. The links to the pics were broken so I updated them when I bumped the thread...

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/45954-t-5/

Also, here's a pic of the my finished gForce T5 trans with a Nissan bellhousing and tailshaft housing. This should also give you an idea as to how far back the Nissan tailshaft housing puts the shifter...

trans1.jpg

Edited by TimZ