HybridZ

Vacation Advice: New York City, Boardwalk

JSM

Family summer vaction planning going on. Looking for ideas for things to do in NYC. My Son is almost 16 and my daughter is almost 13. Likely one of the last with him due to his age.

Also looking to go to some time of board walk in the area? Looking for those things we should definitely see. I've never been to NYC before myself.

Probably 3 days in each location. Any thoughts / suggestions.

Thanks

Since I'm there everyday, I'm probably the last person that should be giving you recommendations on what to see in the city. There are about a million museums, restaurants, parks, 2 brand spankin new MLB stadiums, the old World Trade Center site, Statue of liberty, more skyscrapers than you can imagine not to mention tons of people that will try to scam the tourists. That being said, I think the best thing you can do is walk Manhattan. Start at the "Bull" on Broadway just south of Wall St. and walk north to Times Square. Walk east on one of the streets in in the upper 40's, theater district, until you get to either 5th Ave or Park Ave then walk north again for about 10 or so more blocks. This will probably take you about 4-5 hours but you will see more about the city than you would if you had an agenda. Along the way I'm sure you will be stopping at the Empire State Bldg, Rock Center, Wall St, Ground Zero, Canal St, Radio City, etc.... There is way to much to do in 3 days.

For the Boardwalk, head to the Jersey Shore. Point Pleasant, Seaside Heights (MTV fame), Atlantic City, Wildwood, CapeMay all have boardwalks with rides, stands, and beautiful wide beaches.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Joe

In addition to & maybe repeating the suggestions here -

Bronx Zoo

The Intrepid

Central Park - tons of stuff to do here

Times Square - you can walk through it now, no traffic

Rockefeller Center

Broadway (TKTS booth in Times Sq has "cheap" tickets)

South Street Sea Port (its by Wall St)

Battery Park

The Met, Natural History, etc... Museums

Grand Central Terminal

Be sure to ride the subway.

Walk up and down 5th Avenue. There's designer stores, American Girl (maybe too old for your daughter?),

Chinatown, Little Italy / Mulberry Street

NBC has free concerts, "Today show concert series"

Brooklyn Bridge

Canal St if your wife / daughter are into the knock off pocket books

I've never done the red bus tour, but they're all over the place and you can't miss them if that's your thing.

O'Luney's if you like an Irish pub

We like Famous Ray's for a slice (by Macy's). Avoid SBarro!!

Carmine's is touristy but tasty for Italian food

I've never done the Ellis Island thing. We did check out the Statue of Liberty when I was a kid, and while cool, I remember standing in line for a while...!

AND that's just the city...

Also might be repeating stuff but here is my list...

Statue of Liberty, a cab ride, Circle Line ferry, The Village, helicopter tour, Empire State OR Top of the Rock, The Intrepid, Museum of Natural History and the Planetarium, Guggenheim Museum, Grand Central Station, Subway rides, city-dogs with mustard and kraut, giant pretzels off the street, Times Square....good walking shoes.  If you do the Bronx Zoo, also plan for the New York Botanical Garden, they are almost back to back.

If you want to get out to the country a little, check out the Mohonk Mountain Lodge.  It's like Shangri-La!   One of the most surprising things about NYC is that as soon as you get into the Bronx and head North, it turns into rural and very pretty hilly forested areas very quickly. 

http://www.mohonk.com/

If you like rock scaling and climbing, they have an awesome "rock scramble" that is challenging but anyone can do.  Don't plan on staying at the lodge unless you are bringing gold.  Visiting is very very cheap. Don't sign up for any group stuff, just park the car pay the small parking fee, and walk in to see the lodge, the gardens, and free hike the trails/rocks at no charge.   Staying is $$$. 

Edited by cygnusx1

Cape cod is a welcome refreshment from the city as well as Montauk. I love new york city. They are there own race/culture/alien people ;) Best place in these United States.

Cant stress enough the beauty of the Cape. Truly one of the east Coasts biggest treasures.

Edited by yetterben

Where would you guys recommend staying that is safe, reasonable, and close to things?

Also, instead of staying right in the City, is there a good close area hotel wise, that could be access via public transportation? That way were not paying crazy hotel costs and parking.

If you can't tell, were cheap. Which may not go well together with NYC as our destination.

Edited by JSM

Everything in NYC is double and triple priced from what you are used to.  Don't get too scared.  Just try to do the free or cheap stuff as much as possible...pick a couple of "MUST DO's" and pay for those.  Remember, even the homeless survive in NYC.  :wink: you just need to be creative.  I am not sure about Jersey City, NJ, anyone from JC chime in here, but it may be cheaper to stay in JC and take the Ferry back and forth to NYC.  Even the path train will take you under the river for cheap.  You definitely might save money in JC.  The benefits are, the awesome ride across the mighty Hudson, and view of the skyline from the water, which are both priceless.  I think a value meal at McDonalds runs around $8+ in NYC right now...haven't been there in a while though. 

Edited by cygnusx1