HybridZ
zbigtim

'95 Maxima Gauge Retrofit

More info on the tach:

The tach circuit from the MS manual is correct, and works perfectly with my 95 maxima speedometer. I used a 1k resistor from +12v to the collector of the transistor, 1k resistor from the base of the transistor to JS2 on the megasquirt v3.0 board, and I used an NTE123AP transistor...basically a hotted up version of the old 2N2222A that is recommended in the manual. I had one handy, so I used it. The standard 2N2222A should do the job just fine.

Edited by Xnke

Yea, that's what I'm afraid of.  I used a 2N3904 with the same values on the resistors and the results are as previously posted.  Oddly enough, I don't have any 2N2222s lying around.  I used another transistor out of my "NPN" drawer with the same results.  I don't remember what the P/N was.  Hopefully the issue is with my square wave generator.

-Tim

Bringing this thread up again. I decided to go with this setup due to my coil on plug design from Megasquirt not working with my factory tach. I also want the speed sensor input on the MS3 so it can calculate HP and MPG.

The cluster is from a 95 era Maxima
Transmission is later 280zx
Speed sensor is from an R33 NA Skyline w/ red gear
Tach is connected to MS3X Tach out

Its all mocked up on my front seat now and both speedo and tach work. Tach is accurate and speedo is of by 81%, which is from the red gear is for 4.11 gears and the Z is 3.36. Need to get a yellow gear for the sensor now. I need to sort the output of the speedo to the VSS input of the MS3, couldn't get it to work on a Nissan before using the speed input on the ECU, but that was a while ago.

http://youtu.be/jbHLYRAht4I

Edited by winstonusmc

There are currently 4 indicators that are in the tach and speedo gauges. The two turn signals are in the tach and the bright and brake malfunction lights are in the speedo. Don't really care about the brake malfunction light, so here is the solution, I presume these used to be something with the A/T or suspension modes. They were blank on this cluster. Had to open the holes up and super glue the other indicators.

IMG_20140110_132928_zps59465eec.jpg

Gauge install is done. Well, still have to put the new sensor in the transmission and run the wires. Here is a video of the function of the tach, it has the indicators on it. Yes, as some have pointed out, the speedo is crooked, but it can be adjusted. I was also able to find a better speed sensor with a closer gear, a Q45. It had the black gear on it and uses the same sensor as the S14/R33 sensor. My calculations is that the speedo will be 4% off.

IMG_20140124_214416_227_zpsbda4b14d.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u66DyhLGY3w

Edited by winstonusmc

Hooked up the speedo sensor today. I used exsisting wiring. Not really sure where or what the wires were supposed to go to, but it was two green wires hanging near the speed sensor. I just cut the plug under the dash for those green wires and spliced it into my guage harnes that I fabbed up. Now the speedo works pefectly. The error is about 2% with the stock gears and the black 17 tooth speedo gear. I really like how solid the speedo needle is. The only thing is there is no way to reset the trip, thinking about the 98-99 speedos as they are digital trip/odometer. Then I can just put a button somewhere.