HybridZ

VQ35 --> 240Z swap needs list

miloZ

Hello all. I just picked up a complete swap from an 05 G35 6sp for $1800 with only 37k on it :) I plan to drop it in a 240Z of couse. The guys is dropping it from the car now and will give me anything I need so, I'm looking for a comprehensive list of parts needed for the original car. Ive been reading through past posts and have it all figured I think... please check my list and let me know if I'm missing anything.

Complete Engine with all manifolds, fuel rails, MAS, etc.

wiring harness and ECU

ignition switch and key

trany with drivline

I saw on a site that I need BCM, IPDM, NATS and FM antenna. Can someone educate me on the acronyms BCM, IPDM and NATS? What are those and where are they? and do I really need the antenna?

drive by wire sysetem?

Cat with O2 sensor?

coolant temp sensor?

Gauges?

Is there anything else needed?

Thanks!

You need the exhaust from the rear cats forward, gas pedal and all of the computers and sensors that plug into the engine harness. Austin's vq-240z buildup can be found on here and is fairly detailed on what you have to do to swap in a VQ.

cool thanks. so, I still am ignorant on the Acronym NATS.... also the IPDM and BCM. What do these stand for?

Nissan Anti-Theft System

Body Control Module

Intelligent Power Distribution Module

Hello all. I just picked up a complete swap from an 05 G35 6sp for $1800 with only 37k on it :) I plan to drop it in a 240Z of couse. The guys is dropping it from the car now and will give me anything I need so, I'm looking for a comprehensive list of parts needed for the original car. Ive been reading through past posts and have it all figured I think... please check my list and let me know if I'm missing anything.

Complete Engine with all manifolds, fuel rails, MAS, etc.

wiring harness and ECU

ignition switch and key

trany with drivline

I saw on a site that I need BCM, IPDM, NATS and FM antenna. Can someone educate me on the acronyms BCM, IPDM and NATS? What are those and where are they? and do I really need the antenna?

drive by wire sysetem?

Cat with O2 sensor?

coolant temp sensor?

Gauges?

Is there anything else needed?

Thanks!

Hey MiloZ,

Welcome to the fun. There's a lot that you need. You mentioned the wiring harness, you'll need both the engine harness, and the dash harness. BCU, IPDM(power management), Ignition, w/ Key and FM ant. Fusebox from drivers side. You might want to get the Y pipe too to help with running the exhaust. The gauges are nice to have, I've worked up a plan to be able to use them. If you can, grab the differential since it's got the rotor wheels to be read by the speedo. At the min you'll need the sensors. since it's availiable you should also grab the body harness, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. You'll also want the AC Amp which runs the gauges. If the radiator is in good shap grab it, or at least the fans off it. You might also ask about the seats, they'll fit in the 240Z w/o too much modification. I also grabbed the door harnesses, just so I may be able to update to power windows.

Really if you're getting all that for 1800, it's a pretty good deal!

Send me a PM and I'll get you my # and be happy to talk about this swap, I've learned a lot about it while preparing for my HR swap.

Phar

Wow. thanks all! This is looking like it may be a bit more involved than my V8 swap! I made that swap a bit more complicated than need be by going with fender headers and side exhaust which meant all new brake and clutch pedal assembly with revers mount cylinders. Easy stuff compaired to what this VQ electrical system sounds like it will be.

Thanks for all the input, I have a huge list of stuff to pull now. maybe i'll just offer more for the whole car! ;)

Pharaohabq, I would love the extra advice and tips from you. It will be a couple months at least before I start building this, dont even have a chassis yet, but when I do, I will hit ya up for sure!

Wow. thanks all! This is looking like it may be a bit more involved than my V8 swap! I made that swap a bit more complicated than need be by going with fender headers and side exhaust which meant all new brake and clutch pedal assembly with revers mount cylinders. Easy stuff compaired to what this VQ electrical system sounds like it will be.

Thanks for all the input, I have a huge list of stuff to pull now. maybe i'll just offer more for the whole car! ;)

Pharaohabq, I would love the extra advice and tips from you. It will be a couple months at least before I start building this, dont even have a chassis yet, but when I do, I will hit ya up for sure!

You could just get a standalone EMS, but you lose the VVT and a couple other small things.

Yes the O2 sensors are required. They help the computer adjust the fuel mixture. There are upstream and downstream sensors. The Cats aren't required since your 240Z won't require emissions. if you need them you can get some fairly easily since a a lot of people pull them off for better flow.

You should find the FSM for your year of engine and read up on some of the systems. you'll get a better idea of a lot of it that way. One thing about it is that the parts are getting modular almost to the point where it's plug and play. It's a system, and once you figure what comprises the system then you'll know what you can move over to make sure things work.

That's why I'm sticking with the factory electronics, they support the VVT and are already tuned for the engine. You'll also be able to have a dealer plug in a ConsultIII to check things incase something goes wrong.

Yeah, drop me a line any time you're wondering about something. I'll try to give you good advice. Oh you might want to buy one of Austin's Shifter adapters. oh and don't forget to get the shift knob & assy, it's pretty expensive to source separately.

Phar

can someone tell me where the NATS, IPDM and BCM are located? I'm going to go pull them in an hour or two but dont want to go searching. I dont even know exactly what they look like... Engine and tranny are pulled.

thanks.

oh I think someone must have mentioned this, Don't forget to get the gas pedal assy too. You'll need it and it's easy to put in. You might also grab the clutch cylinder and piping too. I know these are a lot of parts, but planning now saves a lot of headaches in the future. If you want to post those Emails on here for people's FYI it's fine with me.

Phar

• 8 months later...

Arthur,

Depends on your wallet, Yes, starting with a whole Donor car is MUCH preferred since you'll have all the parts you need from the same car. Certainly it would be much easier than buying them piecemeal from a yard, but could be more expensive up front depending on the deal you get on the "Wrecked" car. an advantage you'd have there too is that you could take your time pulling parts from the donor car. you wouldn't need to wonder if you got everything. So if you've got the cash upfront to do it that way then by all means...

Phar

• 3 months later...

Hello there. I'm not a frequent poster on forums but I read a lot! I have a VQ35 slowly taking place under the hood of my '73 z too. Anybody can give the right size of alternator belt to use for our swap? This means a belt for a VQ without power steering or A/C. I have taken some rough measures a while back but would like to confirm with the guys that are already rolling their swapped Z's ( if 240hoke or EMWHYR0HEN could chime in?? ;) ).

Exact lenght or even better part number would be good to know for everybody here !

That would be nice to know, but it's different for VQDE and VQHR. It also depends on how you decide to run your belt w/ or w/o the extra idler pully. The easiest way to find the size is just to get some string, tie a slip knot and put it on in the pattern you're wanting to run, then head to the shop to find the closest size. The VQ's have a tensioner to keep it tight so within an inch or so won't be a big deal.

Oh and How're things coming Milo??

Any new picts?

Edited by Pharaohabq

• 1 year later...