HybridZ

From The Ashes

As some of you already know, I had successfully swapped an RB25DET into a 1975 280z. I drove it for about a month then had to put it on non op because the headlights and turn signals went out and it was finals crunch time at school for me so I had to take a break. About a week or so ago, I went down to the DMV and registered it. I soon fixed the problem and was throughly enjoying the RB25 for a total of two days. After getting brand new tires and heading down to get an alignment, I was rear ended by a truck while stopped waiting for a vehicle in front of me to make a left turn. The truck hit me while traveling at about 30-35mph so my Z was basically totaled. I dealt with the driver who hit me insurance, and to my surprise they were actually very speedy and friendly throughout the process and offered me a very fair price for the Z while allowing me to retain it.

IMG_0341.jpg

I was devastated. I looked around on craigslist and other sources and could not find a Z which I felt could be a suitable replacement. Then I thought back to a time when I was skateboarding to a friends house about five months earlier. Since I was on my cruiser board I figured Id go down some hills and take a longer route which I had never been down before. As Im skating by I see this very nice blue 240z and several other Z car shapes under covers in front of this set back house. With nothing to loose I decided to drive down there the other day and check it out. I walk up and a gentleman comes out of the house. His name is Bill and he is very friendly and is a real Z car enthusiast. He has five Zs if I remember correctly, all of which are in awesome shape and look amazing. I told him my situation and he says "I have one I would like to sell, it doesn't run". He proceeds to pull back the cover and a beautiful 1972 240z is revealed. I can hardly contain my excitement, as this was more than what I was hoping to find. A deal was struck and I called a flat bed to have it towed over to my house. RBz build 2.0 has commenced.

DSCN2656.jpg

DSCN2657.jpg

How cool is this plate that I inherited?!

DSCN2658.jpg

DSCN2649.jpg

DSCN2648.jpg

DSCN2653.jpg

DSCN2654.jpg

DSCN2647.jpg

Oh and since this is Hybrid Z, Im sure you all will understand that this has to go.

DSCN2651.jpg

Edited by jakeoster

Looks like a great new start! But, I'm hoping I'm wrong, but that looks like rust on the inside of the passenger rocker panel. I can't imagine why it would be rusted like that there, and the rest of the car looking solid as a rock.

Mine was the same way, actually turned out to be mostly the (what used to be) rubber covered metal door seal channel, thing. Caused by a leaky door, or jet blast water from the front at ludicrous speed. ;) If you don't have the metal kicker guard or it's rusted away as well it's just a matter of time before the rubber comes off and the unprotected channel turns to dust

Thanks for the comments guys. I won't be able to do the swap for a few weeks because of prior commitments so I figured I would try to get the stocker L24 going. Turns out I needed to get a new starter because the one that was in it had seized up. After changing the starter with a new one, I go to start it and she cranks over. Problem is I just couldn't get it to start. I glance over at the fuel gauge and it says empty. Duh! So I go get some gas and fill it up. She fires right up but is blowing a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust. I figured what the hey, it's been sitting around for a while maybe it just needs a good run around the block. The white smoke persists, so I may have a blown head gasket on my hands. Might be high time for the swap after all.

So, I pulled the head off after what turned into somewhat of a headache and noticed that I do indeed have a blown head gasket. Good news is that everything else seems to be ok. I snapped a head bolt in the process so I have to go to the junk yard and wrench one out tomorrow morning. Got my hands on a felpro gasket for under $20 today which is nice. Its not the RB25 swap yet, but i need to collect a few parts and put aside some time to get that done. I was hoping to get the L24 cranking so I can use the Z to get around for the time being. Work continues...

Work begins

DSCN2661.jpg

Headless

DSCN2662.jpg

Problem area

DSCN2663.jpg

Edited by jakeoster

Yeah I know haha. When I felt it snap I just sighed and envisioned myself drilling it out and going through that drama. A couple threads were stuck in the head so I had to get a pry bar and man handle it a little bit :rolleyes:

Found a guy on craigslist and was able to get a head bolt. I cleaned the surfaces up a bit and switched the head gasket. All the snapped head bolt took was a swift blow with a hammer and a pair of pliers and it came out. Cranked it over and didn't notice any white smoke this time after revving it up a little. I got to finish putting the exhaust manifold back on and a few other things and I think it should be good to go. After it was all said and done, I have to admit it was a bit of a pain in the ass :lol:

Edited by jakeoster

• 2 weeks later...

Just did some minor things today and fixed a few things that have been bugging me. I went to the store and got some various hardware to fix what was missing and half hanging on.

Changed the weatherstripping guard to a brand new one on both sides. I had some sitting in my garage.

DSCN2668.jpg

Got some brand new kick plates from Nissan today, I got the hook ups from the factory...not ;) They were laying around. I havent installed them yet because the screws are stripped :fmad:

DSCN2670.jpg

"Plate Kicking" haha

DSCN2671.jpg

Edited by jakeoster