HybridZ

From The Ashes

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while but I have done a few minor things on the Z like making radiator brackets etc.

Also picked up a brand new oem crank pulley to replace my seriously jacked up one I had before. Lucked out and got it for $100 shipped :D

af1b270a.jpg

I've been pretty busy lately and am hoping to get back to the Z soon. There isn't a lot of big stuff left to do on it just a lot of little stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, My name is Benjie,I owned a 77 datsun 280z, I am new to this community, and I must admit, I am very impressed with your story and your project... never really liked reading, but your story really amazed me and inspired me to do a swap on my Z. I was wondering if its not too much to ask, I would like to ask you for some technical advise during the course of my project... I would probably start with what engine and where you bought it? how much...

thanks in advance...

post-15875-038615600 1295893082_thumb.jpg

Hi, My name is Benjie,I owned a 77 datsun 280z, I am new to this community, and I must admit, I am very impressed with your story and your project... never really liked reading, but your story really amazed me and inspired me to do a swap on my Z. I was wondering if its not too much to ask, I would like to ask you for some technical advise during the course of my project... I would probably start with what engine and where you bought it? how much...

thanks in advance...

You will have problems on this forum.

Edited by Oddmanout84

thanks in advance...

HybridZ prides itself on users being able to do their own research and use the SEARCH feature on the forum. There are no hand-outs here B)

• 2 weeks later...

Benjie that's a clean Z. Thanks for your praise. Well I wouldn't reccomend where I bought my engine from. Your best bet is to get it from someone off the forums. I think there are still people that are sourcing them here and won't try and shaft you.

Anyway, I've been doing little stuff like putting the stub axes back on after greasing the joints etc. My Dads got the welder and he's been busy, so I'm just waiting on that.

I have made my decision as to where I'm going to go. As you guys may have read my stock turbo is wasted and it needs a fix. I've gone through every solution in the book and after racking my brain on it, I've settled on a no compromise turbo setup.

My interim solution is to baby the turbo until I can get everything else I need to complete a no compromise setup.

I have put down some money for a beautiful and well engineered piece that I don't think any RB-Zer has used thus far and it's place of origin is certainly not China. I'm excited about it but the part is built to order and won't arrive for a few weeks. Feel free to speculate haha, I'll update when it arrives.

In the mean time I'm still chipping away at my build, really want to get it running soon but school and work as really been busting my chops lately.

Well, didn't take long haha. I looked at all three of those. The full race would have just made everything too complex for me with all that extra piping due to the twin gates, so I passed. The raw manifold I just didn't find that many people running it. I even looked at one called a "Neukin". It looked good but I ran into a thread where the owner or someone working there was really shaaaaady to deal with.

Then the I looked at the Love Fab. Single wastegate, good reputation, and it just looks stunning.

Really really hoping there won't be any fitment issues. They are made for LHD 240sx's with RB engines so I'm really hoping everything clears.

thats what im planning on running if i ever upgrade to a single. probably willnt need to though as we dont have any interstates or on ramps to play on around these parts... 1 cop to ever 6 cars too... :angry: I'm sure you will keep us posted :D

• 3 weeks later...

Still plugging away on it. Got the shifter in (more annoying then you might think), center console back in, crank pulley ready to be swapped, brakes done and a few other things.

Big things left are mounting radiator/intercooler, wiring, and bending new clutch hard line. Rain has hit San Diego at full force the past few days so that kept me from getting as much done as I wanted to. Thankfully it looks like its going to be clearing up for this next week :)

I was thinking of running this muffler with a 3in inlet and outlet. Anyone know if its a good quality one? My HKS TI attracts too much negative attention from the fuzz haha so hopefully this one will be a more mature choice.

Edited by jakeoster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Check out justmagnaflow.com they seem to have some good options on exhaust set -ups. I used them on my IS300 to source some parts. good prices as well. Things go to a low rumble when using a resinator, and a muffler. no restrictions with the straight through stuff. Ground clearance might be an issue on the S30.