HybridZ

Picked this 240 up the other day

Actually, my brother did the transaction for me since I'm overseas. He said those funky looking rear quarters aren't bad in person - "they kind of grow on you." I, however, think they take away from the body lines. He's a body guy at a classics restoration and customs shop and said it'll take a lot of work to remove those things - not to mention who knows what they're hiding or why the PO put them on there. It seems they're blended all the way from the hatch to half way down the rear quarter. Anyways, I need to know what type of rims those are. It's soon going to get coilovers and new rims (16x9.5"). However, I can get any rims until I find out that lug pattern - apparently the PO did a conversion but I don't know what lug pattern he did. What's a common 5-lug conversion for these things? Oh apparently the PO passed away, his son inherited it then sold it to his friend. Neither one have any clue what's been done to the car. Time for a tear-down. :unsure:

35768_1341346894775_1264261560_30909046_4358998_n.jpg

35768_1341346774772_1264261560_30909045_8005226_n.jpg

It's got a SBC in it. The tranny is toasted though.

Thoughts?

Edited by Indri

Looks like a good start to me, but I am not fond of the body work. I am a fan of the stock Z body lines and rear light panel. Looks to have a bunch of work done on it though and I admire that, not my cup of tea though. Great find for a good price if the body work isnt hiding any cancer or anything and the floors and everything are solid.

Is the rear bumper painted or something or is it just the lighting of the picture?

weird. That rear body line and the rear side windows are 2 of my favorite styling details on the s30s. I can't believe someone killed both of them in one whack!! If the floors and everything down low are in good shape it's a good start for a project. good luck

I'm not sure what's up with that bumper. The pics were taken with an iphone. The bumper is more than likely going to get shaved for weight purposes.....and I'm cheap. The fiberglass ones will require a modified 70-72 bumper bracket, not to mention paint.

I'm not a big fan of the rear quarters either, but my brother makes good points. 1)they look better in person and 2)they could be hiding some damage to the body lines (like creases, which would be a LOT of work to get right again) 3)leaving it as is will free up some money to go towards mechanical stuff. He looked over everything and said it doesn't appear to have cancer anywhere - the floor pans have already been replaced which leads me to believe that the PO did do a once-over on the body for rust. The work, although not my taste, does seem to be quality. The attention to detail seems well done too. Notice the fenders are molded in with the headlight buckets.

Anyways, like you guys said, it's a good start (some would say a VERY good start) to a project. I may leave the body as is and just put money into the mechanics. Suspension, weight reduction, and drivetrain are going to be the focus up front.

I do, however, like the rear light panel. B)

Edited by Indri

weird. That rear body line and the rear side windows are 2 of my favorite styling details on the s30s. I can't believe someone killed both of them in one whack!! If the floors and everything down low are in good shape it's a good start for a project. good luck

Looks to me, to be very much inspired by a Ken Mary Skyline...

post-736-12770873621145_thumb.jpg

post-736-12770873765757_thumb.jpg

Wow! Good catch Nealsonian. I was planning on getting the fender flares and the fender mirrors for it too. :shifty:

Just noticed the car doesn't even have side view mirrors. Guess that saves the shaving step. Can't imagine that's legal though. :huh:

Edited by Indri

Looks to me, to be very much inspired by a Ken Mary Skyline...

yeah, that could be what the guy had in mind. That skyline is about as apealling as the 240 to me too...shrug. Styling is so subjective though. Make it fun to drive and I'm sure it will be a fun project for you :icon14:

yeah, that could be what the guy had in mind. That skyline is about as apealling as the 240 to me too...shrug. Styling is so subjective though. Make it fun to drive and I'm sure it will be a fun project for you :icon14:

Looks a little like a saab sonnet '70's vintage.

So my brother got the car up on a lift and dug a little deeper. It's in a little worse shape than we originally thought. Still really good for the price. But the floor pans are going to get re-fabricated. Not that it absolutley needs it - but it'll allow us to fab it the way we want it. (When I say "we" I should probably say "he" <_< ) He's talking about doing some kind of bracing - tie the tourqe boxes together to strengthen the car....or something like that. Again, he's the expert. This is a project...and a learning experience for me!

Anyways, here's the rough direction we're headed:

New jet hotted dual 2.5" exhaust (magnaflow super 40)

New stage two 700R4 transmission from monster transmission

Suspension - Coilovers, sway bars, strut tower bracing

Brake conversion - maybe the 300zx? (not sure which way I'm going to go on this yet)

LSD rear end conversion (haven't researched this yet)

new rims/tires - shooting for 17x9.5 all around

Half roll cage

Aluminum top end (the PO had iron heads on it)

Upgraded distributor (again PO has some junk on there)

Weight reduction - seats, fiberglass hood, shaved bumper, (the aluminum top end should help with this as well) and I'm contemplating a fiberglass hatch

So, how do I identify what type of conversion kit the PO used? MSA or SCARAB? The engine sits to far foward for the JTR kit. It also has full length headers - although they come down a little low - which might be a problem with the coilovers.

Once the work gets started, I'll start a build thread.