HybridZ

Molding ZG flares into the Z body?

logan1

Just out of curiosity has anyone every tried to mold the ZG flares into the Z body to make them look like a part of the fenders as oppose to bolt on flares?

I have been looking for those flares for a long time! Anyone know what they are/who sells them?

newZ_008med.jpg

newZ_010med.jpg

Edited by kjones
  • Like 1

I am in the process of doing just that. I decided I wanted a molded look rather than the usual look for the ZGs. I used Austin's method to initially mount the standard flares I got from MSA. I built up the inside top where they meet the fenders with tiger-glass to give more surface to add 3M 08116 panel adhesive. I still bolted them on using countersunk bolts and red lok-tite after applying the panel adhesive. I then filled in the bolt cutouts using several layers of fiberglass and molded the flares to the body with Rage Gold. I haven't started painting yet. I don't even have the primer on, hopefully tomorrow. When I get the primer laid down I will probably have more smoothing to do before paint. I did a lot of reshaping on both ends of the flares to get them to mold in. I am also molding in my side skirts to the fenders and the flares are molded to the skirts. I will post some picts after the primer goes on.

I am in the process of doing just that. I decided I wanted a molded look rather than the usual look for the ZGs. I used Austin's method to initially mount the standard flares I got from MSA. I built up the inside top where they meet the fenders with tiger-glass to give more surface to add 3M 08116 panel adhesive. I still bolted them on using countersunk bolts and red lok-tite after applying the panel adhesive. I then filled in the bolt cutouts using several layers of fiberglass and molded the flares to the body with Rage Gold. I haven't started painting yet. I don't even have the primer on, hopefully tomorrow. When I get the primer laid down I will probably have more smoothing to do before paint. I did a lot of reshaping on both ends of the flares to get them to mold in. I am also molding in my side skirts to the fenders and the flares are molded to the skirts. I will post some picts after the primer goes on.

:worthless:

Please post a few pictures of your work on the ZG's i'm really curious as to how it looks.

This is all I have right now. If I get the primer on tomorrow I will take some more.

http://dejavideo.net/flares-finished.jpg

deja excellent work on the ZG flares and the side skirts. I think it looks awesome. Please be sure to share more pictures as your work progresses.

I’m going to hold off on molding my ZG’s onto the Z until I see how your ZG’s turn out

Edited by logan1

deja excellent work on the ZG flares and the side skirts. I think it looks awesome. Please be sure to share more pictures as your work progresses.

I’m going to hold off on molding my ZG’s onto the Z until I see how your ZG’s turn out

Well primer didn't go well this morning. I am totally new at painting and I obviously didn't have the gun set right and ended up with a very uneven coat witha lot of runs. I will sand it tomorrow and try again with a better setup on the gun. :(

Edited by deja

Well primer didn't go well this morning. I am totally new at painting and I obviously didn't have the gun set right and ended up with a very uneven coat witha lot of runs. I will sand it tomorrow and try again with a better setup on the gun. :(

always try spraying on a test panel (extra hood etc) not the actual car and you can avoid alot of headache. -Jeff

What size spray tip are you using? If it's too large it will spray too much material... Also, if you thinned it down too much it will run and not cover well...

If you need some guidance, share some more details about the product you're spraying and your equipment etc etc etc and maybe we can help you tweak things

Also shar gun pressure pressure and whether its an hvlp gun would be good to know as well