HybridZ

Is anyone making an off the shelf forged L28et piston??

jc052685

I'm not sure exactly why you're wanting an "off the shelf" piston, but many piston manufactures have specs for a stock l28et piston. I doubt anyone sells a large enough volume to keep many in stock. Custom pistons don't tend to cost any different than a stock piston either, and you get a chance to change some things to better suit the car and your application.

Have called a few an none seam to be very cooperative. Odd since this economy is supposedly so bad.

I did find this just now.

http://www.racetep.com/xmasspecials.html#dat

Does not seam too bad for pistons wrist pins and rings. All I am wanting is a factory spec l28et forged piston with an overbore.

Edit: And btw I will be emailing you as soon as I get my truck sold!!

Edited by jc052685

Custom pistons don't tend to cost any different than a stock piston either,...

I wish that were true.

Stock L28et pistons range from $50 to $60 each. I paid $49/ea (p/n 12010-P9012) from Nissan. Custom forged pistons cost about double.

I wish that were true.

Stock L28et pistons range from $50 to $60 each. I paid $49/ea (p/n 12010-P9012) from Nissan. Custom forged pistons cost about double.

Form what I can tell, this discussion is about forged pistons only and "off the shelf forged pistons" at that. Yes, cast pistons are cheaper (which is what stock pistons are). But if you talk to any of the major forged piston manufacturers, it's basically the same cost per piston, regardless if it's stock specs or not. You can get into more money with special valve reliefs or domes matching the combustion chamber and things of that nature, but from what I can tell, he wants a stock piston, but forged. Not cast.

Got to go with Spork on this one, a Forged stock-specification L28 piston will be roughly the same cost as a 'custom' one where you specify different ring land configuration, different oil wiper, maybe different pin height or diameter.

Forged is Forged. Now, you order Small Block Chevy Pistons and you get 8 for what half a set of Datsun pistons cost.

Volume and turnover is your friend. Chances are just about every reputable forged piston manufacturer will have BLANKS 'on the shelf' suitable to be turned into an L28 Piston, so knowing that, the costs are minimal to do any real custom changes in basic setup.

Like Spokr said, if you specify a 3/4" thick uncut dome, or some special combustion chamber matching dome the price will likely be higher. Maybe not, some places charge $50 a set wholesale to do a 'special'.

But 'stock forged pistons' to me would mean forged, and not cast. And in that frame of reference, they will all be about the same cost.

Forged is Forged.

That being said, looking around for things like Vega pistons, or old Corvair TRW Forged Slugs can net you a forged piece at 'cast' prices (once upon a time...)

The engine doesn't care 'where' the piston was supposed to go into, and if you're boring match the block to whatcha got! Big thing is pin diameter, Pin Height, Ring Configuration, and Overall Diameter. Searching catalogs can net interesting discounts if you don't mind having a coupla few pistons left over as spares... ;)

Got to go with Spork on this one, a Forged stock-specification L28 piston will be roughly the same cost as a 'custom' one where you specify different ring land configuration, different oil wiper, maybe different pin height or diameter.

Forged is Forged.

My misunderstanding, ...nevermind.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Forged is Forged. Now, you order Small Block Chevy Pistons and you get 8 for what half a set of Datsun pistons cost.

Volume and turnover is your friend. Chances are just about every reputable forged piston manufacturer will have BLANKS 'on the shelf' suitable to be turned into an L28 Piston, so knowing that, the costs are minimal to do any real custom changes in basic setup.

Like Spokr said, if you specify a 3/4" thick uncut dome, or some special combustion chamber matching dome the price will likely be higher. Maybe not, some places charge $50 a set wholesale to do a 'special'.

But 'stock forged pistons' to me would mean forged, and not cast. And in that frame of reference, they will all be about the same cost.

Forged is Forged.

That being said, looking around for things like Vega pistons, or old Corvair TRW Forged Slugs can net you a forged piece at 'cast' prices (once upon a time...)

The engine doesn't care 'where' the piston was supposed to go into, and if you're boring match the block to whatcha got! Big thing is pin diameter, Pin Height, Ring Configuration, and Overall Diameter. Searching catalogs can net interesting discounts if you don't mind having a coupla few pistons left over as spares... wink.gif

Bringing this thread back to life. Getting ready to order a set of forged pistons, and I like your input about the small block Chevy pistons, Tony. Can you give more details about how to go about this?

Basically, I want to end up with a set identical to that in the link below, without the $850.00 price tag!

Link: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic12d08/10-4081