HybridZ

At wits end. Car won't start

phantom3

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some help here.

My Buddy and I just finished restoring a '83 280zx Turbo. The car looks amazing but we can get her to start to save our lives.

The engine is completely rebuilt. everything is new. We installed the JWT z31 450hp package and triple checked everything.

-Dropping resistors installed

-fuel pump mod done

-Checked the base timing (0*) and set the operational timing to 20*BTDC.

-Fuel pressure is 50psi on the rail. the 450cc injectors are all tested and firing.

-MSD box and all new ignition components are providing a nice spark to all 6 cylinders.

-Compression is 100-105psi on all cylinders.

-Cobra MAF is wired correctly.

-All emission crap has been removed

-pressure tested intake (no vacuum leaks)

-Encoder disk installed (flipped it over to check in case installed upside down)

The car turns over fine, but she won't catch and fire.

Any suggestions would be a great help

Thanks guys,

David

what's your idle timing set at? Try advancing the dizzy a little at a time to see if you can get it to fire over.

My EDIS converted engine wouldn't fire off at 8* initial timing, at 12 it would backfire out the intake, at 15* it will start and run, poorly, and at 18* it is sitting pretty. I suspected that I was triggering a tooth off, at first, but after double and triple checking, i think my engine just likes 18* initial timing.

Edited by Xnke

what's your idle timing set at? Try advancing the dizzy a little at a time to see if you can get it to fire over.

My EDIS converted engine wouldn't fire off at 8* initial timing, at 12 it would backfire out the intake, at 15* it will start and run, poorly, and at 18* it is sitting pretty. I suspected that I was triggering a tooth off, at first, but after double and triple checking, i think my engine just likes 18* initial timing.

Haven't been able to get to idle, but during cranking the timing is set at 20*BTDC. we tried rotating the distrbutor During cranking and ~20* is where she seemed like she wanted to fire.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Let me get this right. You have sparks but the engine won't fire correct? Open up your valve cover and set the engine at TDC and check the markings on the timing gear and chain. Make sure they still line up. I rebuilt my engine before and had the same problem. It was the timing issue that it didn't start. Good luck.

• 5 months later...