HybridZ

I recently drove my cousins LS1 GTO and was rather impressed with the motor. Nice tq and linear power.

The car was nice an all, but seemed a bit on the heavy side. I've ridden in his 99 LS6 powered Ws6 before as well, and really liked that car.

Basically, I'm here to learn about LS1, and LS2 as options for a motor swap. Price, performance and strength/ reliability for upgrades. I'm currently trying to figure out if the LS2 is worth the money over a LS1... To be honest, either motor is over kill for the car its going in, but overkill= good IMO.

I'm looking at LSx options for a 74' 260Z.

Immediate goals would be sourcing/installing Lsx, and getting it to 350-400whp.

high mileage motor, probably needs a rebuild... if its its a go, free lsx. needs accessories ecu harness trans etc...

its a 6.0L truck motor, lol... iron block, but i wont mind the extra 70 lbs in a car as light as a s30...

Edited by Northstarninja

he said he might sell his Goat and get a later Ls2 powered GTO... any one know if the Ls2 is a can/bus setup?

I don't even know what that means.

You might be a little more clear if you want a good answer.

Side note: Unless you plan on doing all the work yourself, I would say nix the rebuild plan. LS parts are still pretty expensive. You'd be better off just buying a $500 5.3 with low miles and skipping the whole rebuild headache. Just my $.02, but what do i know about LS engines?

Edited by SUNNY Z

• Administrators

LS2 EFI system is not CAN/BUS. It is typical GM PCM like the earlier LS1 stuff but with a more powerful ECU, same sensors other than cam sensor which is now on the timing chain cover vs rear of block and the knock sensors are a little different and relocated to the lower exterior of block vs in the valley.

LS2 EFI system is not CAN/BUS. It is typical GM PCM like the earlier LS1 stuff but with a more powerful ECU, same sensors other than cam sensor which is now on the timing chain cover vs rear of block and the knock sensors are a little different and relocated to the lower exterior of block vs in the valley.

thanks Brrap! I was wondering because my Cuz said the ls2's had drive by wire throttle, which reminded me of the newer Z's, which are Can/Bus.

@ Sunny, I'd be doing the work myself... maybe I'll just do a compression test to see if the bottom end is good. If its not, I'll try to score a ls1 shortblock out of a late f-body or gto. Ls1tech.com seems t have alot of parts for sale/trade. What seems weird to me is that domestic performance parts seem a lot cheaper, (inexpensive) than import aftermarket. +1 for domestics!

thanks Brrap! I was wondering because my Cuz said the ls2's had drive by wire throttle, which reminded me of the newer Z's, which are Can/Bus.

@ Sunny, I'd be doing the work myself... maybe I'll just do a compression test to see if the bottom end is good. If its not, I'll try to score a ls1 shortblock out of a late f-body or gto. Ls1tech.com seems t have alot of parts for sale/trade. What seems weird to me is that domestic performance parts seem a lot cheaper, (inexpensive) than import aftermarket. +1 for domestics!

Werd Brotherman! ;) LS1tech is the mother of all LS resources.

P.S. There is a friend of mine just up the road that recently went 9.50's in an 88 RX-7, on a 155K mile junkyard 5.3! (turbo)

Gotta love reliability!

yeah. Reliable= win. cheap performance parts= win. lots of power/tq= win. I guess its a win/win/win situation, lol.

My cousin told me its not hard to go 10's with a f bodyw ls1. I told him if the standard is .1 second faster for every 100lbs lost, then the 1000 lb less Z should run 9's. LOL... I guess the hard part is getting it to hook...

On a separate note, it seems that the f body t56's aren't all that great, that the GTO Ls1 t56 is stronger for whatever reason? why is that?

I'm still debating whether to run a 6 speed or auto... itd be nice to cruise around at highway speeds without the engine screaming...

yeah. Reliable= win. cheap performance parts= win. lots of power/tq= win. I guess its a win/win/win situation, lol.

My cousin told me its not hard to go 10's with a f bodyw ls1. I told him if the standard is .1 second faster for every 100lbs lost, then the 1000 lb less Z should run 9's. LOL... I guess the hard part is getting it to hook...

On a separate note, it seems that the f body t56's aren't all that great, that the GTO Ls1 t56 is stronger for whatever reason? why is that?

I'm still debating whether to run a 6 speed or auto... itd be nice to cruise around at highway speeds without the engine screaming...

The stock F-body t56 is rated to 450 lb/ft of torque. There are affordable upgrades that push that limit to 700 lb/ft. ( ~$600)

There are ways of making them quite stout, however, using OEM parts, such as the viper mainshaft, or the SSR mainshaft. (See attached File) 800-1000hp_rated_LS_Fbody_T56.pdf

As for the GTO t56 being stronger, I say that is a false statement. However, they are geared different (lower) with the MN12 gearset, to move the tanks that a lot of people call GTO's.

once again, domestics putt through for the budget build... Viper, as in dodge viper? :blink: I didnt know they used t56 transmissions... unless the t56 is build by a 3rd party...

The T-56 transmission is built by Tremec. It was used in several GM models, as well as a beefed up version being put in the dodge viper, ever since its creation. The viper is only offered in a 6 speed, and it is known to be quite bulletproof. On the other hand, Mustang Cobras, the "terminator" cars, came with a 6 speed as well. This is also a T56. However, it has small differences that render it useless to others, such as different input and main shafts. Different years, and models, have different characteristics, such is triple cone synchros, etc etc.

GM has since, in the C6 Vette I believe, progressed to the TR6060, which is an upgraded version of the t56.

Edited by SUNNY Z