HybridZ

swapped my .63 for .82 hot side gt35r VIDEO

I have a fully ported head, Isky turbo cam (pulls to 7K) 3in intercooler pipe, 90mm throttle bodie, custum lonewolf intake with hudge runners, stock lower end.

Tony it is a little peaky, Full boost is in the 4's where as in the 3's with the .63 but the creep was terrible?

I just dont think I could go back to the .63 look at the boost creep i had with it. WATCH AT 3:40

tHAT WAS WITH THE .63 creeped to almost 25 lbs with a setting of 14-15

Edited by big-phil

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would run the 0.63 also. but use a stage 5 turbine setup. you should get full boost by 3500 which will work nice with a 7000 rpm redline.

creep is normally caused by a wastegate problem or a wastegate that doesn't flow enough. I had a creep issue until I increased the size of the stock wastegate hole and smoothed out the edges leading up to the exit hole inside the turbine.

what wastegate are you using?

I also had a recent spark plug issue on my turbo. Ended up being caused by loose spark plugs. I wasted lots of time and energy trying to find that problem. Champion spark plugs work very nice on L28's.

Edited by Pyro

but with the .63 on there i have uncontrolible boost creep. Like it was so tight it was chocking the exhaust from coming out? Now with the .82 i have about 3-4 lbs of creep

You guys and your tiny ARs... :P

I'm thinking that Phil's more aggressive cam probably likes that larger AR quite a bit better too. Just because you can make boost sooner doesn't necessarily mean that it will make more power.

Also - if it's working for you without detonation then don't f with it, but I would've thought you'd be running a bit colder plug with that setup - I'm using the 8 heat range in that plug style...

Edited by TimZ

I would think a 3500 rpm power band would be ideal, anything less is not correct.

but the problem remains even with the 0.82, should not have any creep issues. There is some sort of wastegate issue.

I run a t3 turbine, 0.63 with a stage 5 and makes full boost at 3500 and pulls to 6500 with a msa stage 1 turbo cam. no creep issues at all. But wish I would had keep the turbine stock. the power band is a little too short

now im reading that the garrett ball bearing turbo can not be rebuilt. You have to buy a new center cartraige? $300-$500. So now im hoping it is the motor or the head? I have a metal head gasket. I have all the stuff for a fully built L28T, just been waiting for a reason to build it haha

Edited by big-phil

Not sure coolant can even reach the seals.

I'm pretty sure that this is correct - the water just needs to pass through the cooling passages and has no need to be in direct contact with any moving parts. I guess you could have cracked the center section, but I sincerely doubt it. While allowing a cooldown period after hard running is still a good practice, water cooled center sections are much more forgiving about this.

I'm thinking I'd be looking at the head gasket - it's a bigger pain in the ass, but probably a lot quicker and cheaper to fix, if that makes you feel any better...

Hey Phil, ever thought of turning the boost down? :P Run a compression test and see what you find. I'm a little concerned about the temp of your spark plugs, 6 seem way too hot. I would go for at least a 7, but I prefer 8's.