HybridZ

swapped my .63 for .82 hot side gt35r VIDEO

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but with a single cam trying to move all that air around all while swapping exhaust housings all willy nilly disregarding cam profile, its quite possible its the head gasket.

compression test 120 across the board, now pulling turbo off

You "should" be able to see a bad head gasket in a compression test. That is strang that it smokes like that with good compression. Run the car and see if you find bubbles coming up through the radiator, with the cap off.

BTW, what pistons are you running? Dished or flat top?

EDIT: Just talked to my lead tech who has been in the powersports business for 40+ years as a tech and he noted that a ring problem could yeild you good compression but still cause the engine to smoke like a dehydrated hooker being dragged across the assphault at 80mph. Time for a leakdown!

Edited by S130Z

If its definitely not the turbo I would consider

A ) The head gasket

B ) A warped head

C ) Maybe you broke rings/ring lands/piston damage

At this point, if you pull the head off you'll know. Been there, done that! Check your dip stick and radiator too, that could possibly give clues as to what is going on. You said its probably coolant, so my thought is that the only place that would show up is from a leaking head gasket or maybe you blew a valve seal? :hs:

Good luck Phil, you should take a video of your findings!

Edited by jacob80

You said its probably coolant, so my thought is that the only place that would show up is from a leaking head gasket or maybe you blew a valve seal? :hs:

If you have coolant coming out of your valve seal, you've got some major problems...

Phil, why do you think it's not the turbo?

If the valve seals are fine, try checking down the length of the intake and exhaust runners in the head. Just thinking, since it is a ported head, maybe a thin area in a wall cracked and is leaking oil and/or coolant into the runner/s, and then leaking down into the exhaust manifold and also going passed the valve/s onto the piston.