HybridZ

Post your Intercooler setup.

I know i was wondering, What do I buy and what setup will actually work.

I ended up going with a Center to Center a 22"x12"x3" Treadstone core, end to end it's 29" went this route because for some reason it was only $140 shipped.

Ended up buying a cheap ebay pipe kit which was

2 x Straight Aluminum Pipe

2 x Aluminum Pipe 45 Deg

2 x Aluminum Pipe 75 Deg

2 x Aluminum Pipe 90 Deg

6 x Silicon Hose, Straight

2 x 90 Degree Elbow Hose

16 x Matching Stainless Steel Clamp

The tubing is about 17 1/2" long

And bought a 2" to 3" 90 Deg couple and had a foot of straight 3".

I haven't used either Straight tube yet and i still need to take care of some issues, like the long coupler and the Intercooler definitely needs to be adjusted. I haven't pounded the wheel well and may need to get a better angle to the 90 deg coupler on the passenger side.

This is what I've roughed in.

th_Front.jpg

th_top.jpg

th_side.jpg

Show us your setup.

Edited by goodoldjam

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I was always wondered, do you guys have noticeable amount of lag with all that piping?

I was wanting to go with another same sided intercooler to replace my Porsche one but have always considered the set ups you guys have. Just seems like there's a ton of piping involved.

One thing I was always wondered, do you guys have noticeable amount of lag with all that piping?

I was wanting to go with another same sided intercooler to replace my Porsche one but have always considered the set ups you guys have. Just seems like there's a ton of piping involved.

I dont have much lag at all, ofcourse I have never ridden in a same sided intercooled car with minimal intercooler piping.

I have the same sided inlet/outlet Treadstone "kit" put together by member 240Hoke. Austin left everything in the front of the car(intercooler, some piping)flat black, and everthing inside the engine bay a brushed appearence. It has a Tial blowoff valve, and the piping fits up to a 60mm throtle body.

One of the intercooler pipes runs below the front vertical radiator support/structure, but causes no issues as mentioned by him. I imagine the short length of piping has got to have some advantages over running behind the radiator. I have not installed or ran it myself as my car is completely stripped and receiving lots of rust repair. There was/is a video I believe of his former setup in action, iirc. Included are some pictures that Austin took of his car's previous setup which is relevant to mine, as I am using his turbo(rebuilt), intercooler kit, and downpipe.

post-736-055325600 1279502588_thumb.jpg

post-736-034977700 1279502628_thumb.jpg

post-736-074057300 1279502680_thumb.jpg

post-736-098515100 1279502849_thumb.jpg

post-736-013472300 1279502874_thumb.jpg

Here is my setup. 2.5" aluminum piping, I made the cold side as short as possible to avoid any heat soaking before going into the TB. I get really no "lag" at all with this setup boost comes on fast and lineal. I think the IC is 12x24x3.

med_DSC00005.JPG

med_DSC000032.JPG

med_DSC000011.JPG

This pic shows my IC size and how my old piping was ran. I see much better AIT with having the piping the other way.

med_DSC00290.JPG

I remember talking about pipe length a long while back and the time it takes to fill was far less important than endtank design and inlet/outlet location. Obviously extra bends in the piping have a effect, also how sharply the turn the air takes.

http://www.dvdtfab.com/intercoolertestlab.pdf

This is a very interesting read, you can get a idea how placement and design effect how efficiently the core is used.

This is also helpful

http://www.extremeintercoolers.com/tech.html

There is already a very exhaustive thread on this. How is that Jacobs ignition working? If you do a search you will see a 4+ page thread on this with pictures.

Jacobs kit doesn't really work to well because it's the EZ kit, I picked it up at a swap meet for $20. It needs a second coil to trigger the box, so I just use the coil. It did put out some major energy though, you definitely wouldn't pull a plug wire while it's running.

I've searched, I did see the "show your engine bay" but that's in the L6 section. I certainly like to see other swaps to.

Unless your talking about a different thread.

• 3 weeks later...

There is already a very exhaustive thread on this. How is that Jacobs ignition working? If you do a search you will see a 4+ page thread on this with pictures.

Most of the pictures in that thread don't work anymore, that tends to happen after 5+ years. Some were probably lost in the switch to IPB.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a pic for their S130's? need some ideas.

I have an S130 IC setup using a 24x12x3 core "straight" endtanks and 2.25" piping. I ran the IC pipes through the stock airbox holes and through the headlight buckets. You can see the details in my build thread.

finished_2.jpg

This is a really old photo, my engine bay looks quite a bit different now, but this shows the routing.

Here`s mine. I cut the rad/core support a bit and ran all the pipes to one side. Had to mod the Isuzu NPR intercooler. I ran the 3`` intake pipe in front of the IC unit so cold airflow hits the pipe while the car is in motion. The 2/12 turbo pipe runs straight through with no bends to the IC. This works fine for me.

CIMG3375.jpg

CIMG3376.jpg

CIMG3374.jpg

CIMG3386.jpg

CIMG3383.jpg

Edited by PR280z