HybridZ

Post your Intercooler setup.

goodoldjam Curious to why you mounted your BOV right off the Turbo as you did?

The main reason, if you vent after your venting air that has already been cooled and that gets replaced with more warm air.

Having to remove extra heat is always something you want to avoid.

Second reason, I'm with the thinking that I'm protecting the turbo and not the throttle plate. The higher pressure is before intercooler.

It's a pretty normal BOV placement it just doesn't get recommended as much as it should.

Edited by goodoldjam

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason, if you vent after your venting air that has already been cooled and that gets replaced with more warm air.

Nope. Remember, the air is "cooled" after passing through the I/C. It gets replaced with more air cooled by the I/C.

Second reason, I'm with the thinking that I'm protecting the turbo and not the throttle plate. The higher pressure is before intercooler.

It's a pretty normal BOV placement it just doesn't get recommended as much as it should.

You are talking about maybe 1 to 2 psi. The BOV is venting to prevent damage to the turbo in all applications. Google "water hammer".

Nope. Remember, the air is "cooled" after passing through the I/C. It gets replaced with more air cooled by the I/C.

You are talking about maybe 1 to 2 psi. The BOV is venting to prevent damage to the turbo in all applications. Google "water hammer".

Yes the air is re-cooled, consider that your intercooler does do work to cool the charge. Intercoolers do heat soak and dumping air that has already been cooled is a waste and should have at least some negative effect on intercooler temps. Your dumping cool air and now you have to re-cool, doesn't sound efficient. Probably could argue that it has little effect but..Remember placing on either side is no more work if you have the room.

Edit: You make 1 to 2 psi sound like a irrelevant number.

Actually I was asked a question as to why and I don't need correction. I'm not trying to push this placement down anyones throat. It is not a strange place to put a BOV. Obviously most people can decide, as did I.

Edited by goodoldjam

I don't run an innercooler. Boosting through a Holley carb cools off the charge nicely. Currently scaring the hell outa myself @22 psi on pump gas..Yup the charge pipe comes off the turbo and goes directly to the carb using less than 2 feet of 2.5 inch to 4 inch pipe. Cheap enough, simple, and very effective except the mpg but hey its boosted!!

100_2848.jpg

Edited by 280zex

the carb doesnt cool anything at all. However the atomization of fuel in the carb works like meth injection. I have 100 deg F intake temps at full run at 22psi. Its not at all good with fuel. 17mpg average and 4 mpg at wot and if it idles too long it will foul the plugs. Mabe I need to try a msd box. This setup is very different. The longer I stay on the throttle the more hp it makes until peak turbo flow.

the carb doesnt cool anything at all. However the atomization of fuel in the carb works like meth injection. I have 100 deg F intake temps at full run at 22psi. Its not at all good with fuel. 17mpg average and 4 mpg at wot and if it idles too long it will foul the plugs. Mabe I need to try a msd box. This setup is very different. The longer I stay on the throttle the more hp it makes until peak turbo flow.

OK so it runs good all im saying is it would run better, boost higher with an intercooler.

if the outside temp is 75 degrees, my air intake temps are 75-79 degree at the top end of a 1/4 mile run. running 750 rwhp at 31 PSI

My original setup had 2" SS piping and an AiResearch intercooler:

post-103-038933000 1286190520_thumb.jpg

The current setup uses 2.5" MS piping, and 450x300x76 FMIC:

post-103-092806500 1286190616_thumb.jpg

I too swapped the hot/cold side plumbing in my second version.

The intercooler/plumbing changes saw an extra 3psi boost at the same WG duty-cycle, and allowed a 15kW increase via lower AIT's and the ability to lean out the mixture.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm using a Laminova three core aftercooler built by Rick Zimmer at www.boostecus.com for my SC'd L28 240Z. This is a mere 14" x 6" x 1.6" and rated to approximately 350hp. It is sandwiched between the SC and the plenum. A 12 volt pump, reservoir, hoses and a small radiator (around 20" x 6" x 1") will complete the system. No problems with long complex piping or giant intercoolers. Cost will come in around $1200.

post-881-062030700 1288791916_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ezzzzzzz

• 2 weeks later...

Having to remove extra heat is always something you want to avoid.

The problem is the air volume that has to be exhausted is more when it's hot than when it's cold. This is a common problem with industrial turbos where one side BOV works after the cooler, but it must be 25 to 50% larger when placed upstream of the cooler.

Placing it there will work, but only if the additional volume of the hot air being relieved is taken into account. Otherwise, this can cause a surge issue due to inadequate relief valve sizing.

Unless your car completely stops airflow across the intercooler when the BOV opens, it's a spurious argument to justify placing the BOV before the I/C as opposed to after it.

Additionally, the reverse wave of pressure will start at the T/B, and a BOV will stop this from travelling upstream towards the turbocharger. Your flow remains 'towards' the T/B when it vents there, venting at the turbocharger will allow reverse flow through the entire system before relief...

This can manifest itself in transitional response issues.

Edited by Tony D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im using a 2" to 2.5" 90* elbow right off the stock t3. 2.5" all the way to the 60mm TB. I figured it would be the smoothest way to transition from the two sizes and 2.5" inlet/outlet inter coolers are plentiful. used an ebay kit and had left over parts but I didn't go under the motor or anything fancy. My cold side is rather long as it comes from the passenger side fresh air hole in the core support, I dont like the idea of adding more bends and trading cooler air for less efficiency. One of the reasons I went bar and plate for the IC.