HybridZ

Post your Intercooler setup.

How come no one is going in and out the same side? Rather than going across the front of the motor and fhe radiator.

That approach uses the two holes to the left of the radiator - routing across the front of the engine allows one of those holes to be used for a cold air intake.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just what the GURU`S tell me. In my opinion as long as its on the cold side of the intercooler, who cares.

Well, it depends on your "Guru" I guess. Some claim that the hot side is better. Why run hot air through the intercooler if you don't have to? But as Six_Shooter indicated, most of the opinions are based on conjecture, so just put it where ever it makes you happy.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Well, it depends on your "Guru" I guess. Some claim that the hot side is better. Why run hot air through the intercooler if you don't have to? But as Six_Shooter indicated, most of the opinions are based on conjecture, so just put it where ever it makes you happy.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I agree

Nigel

'73 240ZT

While I tend to agree with Nigel......the S30 can house such a large efficient IC that the choice of placement may be a mute point for us. Guys that have little to no room might benefit in efficiency with mounted close to the compressor so not to tax the IC minutely even.

Edited by Vintage-TechZ

I think putting it wherever air can flow out the easiest is more important. I'm having issues with surging on throttle-off. Could be many things. But I did have this BOV and this engine working fine together. And that's about all that's stayed the same now.

317c161.jpg

f56b981.jpg

I thought I posted pictures of mine in this thread already, but I just went back through and didn't see any pictures of mine, so here it is:

Another Brown and Boosted S30...

This is when I first installed my turbo and EFI, technically, this isn't an intercooled set-up in these first pictures, since I was simply running a bypass pipe across the front of the rad, since I hadn't got a change to make my IC at that point. I did have my BOV attached to it, at the front left corner of the car, just in front of the rad support.

turbo%20driver%20day%20front.jpg

turbo%20pass%20after%20drive.jpg

Just a couple pictures of the IC (BOV?) piping running under and around the engine, yes I need to weld some of the tubes together and get rid of some of those couplers...

59233_10150244626195051_651865050_14557407_532592_n.jpg

59233_10150244626210051_651865050_14557410_6548804_n.jpg

59233_10150244626215051_651865050_14557411_6475833_n.jpg

Move along a couple years (I really slacked on making the IC, even though I had most of the material for a long while):

59531_10150247000340051_651865050_14621529_6700801_n.jpg

200178_10150417694935051_651865050_17576605_8033113_n.jpg

189806_10150417695190051_651865050_17576609_5379925_n.jpg

Mitsu BOV:

189850_10150417695025051_651865050_17576606_5459384_n.jpg

I've changed the plumbing a bit at the IC/rad support. I was really trying to keep the IC tubing going through the lower holes in the rad support, but it just wasn't a nice as I'd have liked, so I moved to using both the upper holes, where the vent pieces were.

I also have an IC from Mishmoto, that I'm going to try, It's a cross flow, but with the fitment I did on another S30, it looks like I can change the IC piping to be more like how I want it to be.

Edited by Six_Shooter

6eeaf9a3.jpg This is my old set-up and is pretty typical I've found.Flowed off throttle very smooth and never had anything but very cool intake temps under long duty cycles. BOV was mounted below one of the elbows prior to the IC.

One thing to note.....when I had the same configuration in Aluminum pipe it heat soaked temps quite a bit higher....but when in Stainless, it all but went away.

I made an air tight seal all the way around the space between the radiator and IC due to having dual fans pulling through the IC and pushing back through the radiator.

Edited by Vintage-TechZ

Bloz up, any reason you spaced the intercooler soooooooo far from your radiator? You are generating alot of turbulance in between them and that hurts the efficiency of BOTH systems. I bet if the intercooler was placed properly you would not need that push fan in there. Just my .02

So the piping would fit. The intercooler is a little too wide.

I didn't need that pusher--it's not longer on the car. Plus that fan was worthless in a push configuration.

Right now I have one 12" puller cooling off the car just fine at low speed. Otherwise airflow seems sufficient and my datalogs confirm that the intercooler works well also.

8902b16.jpg

• 1 month later...

The reason I didnt go with a same side inlet outlet is because I didnt want to cut a hole in the core support, and the reason I went under the motor vice across the front of the engine bay was so I could retain the stock fan. (for now!)This is what I have so far. I havent made mounts for the intercooler or hooked up the piping by the starter yet. I also have to pull it all back off to clean the metal shavings. This is a pre mock up to say the least but it should be ready for the maiden voyage soon.

post-26371-049536900 1332181241_thumb.jpg

Edited by kaito

I have a "zero budget" M30 build I had to press into service as a "minimum budget daily driver" that needed intercooling to keep the F54/P90 with flattops safe so I scrounged my stash for a supra intercooler and a way to plumb it without violating my project guidline of not cutting the body in any way.

At the junkyards, I bought a bunch of random saab and volvo intercooler piping, soft hoses, and a blow off valve and was able to weave them through the body and cut the soft hoses to length and ended up with an intercooler/boost control/blow off valve system that cost around $80 dollars in parts for everything...(including intercooler)

I'm using the stock "vacuum control valve" which is a very small recirculation valve and added a much larger recirculation valve which is plumbed in right before the throttle body and is routed to the turbocharger inlet elbow.

It is dead silent like the rest of the car because of the usage of mostly factory stuff designed to deaden sound.

If I remove the air cleaner box top, it will give off "Pssstt" sounds like most of the turbo cars that the sideways baseball cap wearin' beings prefer.

7005932467_162c16528f_b.jpg

VintagetechZ using stainless on the piping behind the radiator is definately doing it right.

It's amazing how little engine bay heat the charge picks up from the piping when you use stainless......which is all I would consider if my project had a budget.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

• 2 weeks later...

photo-mar-24-11-46-03-am-e1332740179364.jpg?w=764&h=1024

I'm noticing a lot of you guys run your intercooler return piping across the radiator after it has been cooled rather than the way mine is installed. Is there advantage to doing this? It seems obvious that there would be significant heat soak since the air is already cool and you're now running it across a hot radiator, therefor decreasing your efficiency.

Edited by jacob80

It might be that they don't want the charge pipe heating radiatior. I know honda's and evo's that heat soak the rad with the turbo, but I don't think a charge pipe would do it much. If you use stainless it should keep the radiator heat out of the cold pipe running opposite routing to your example. I say cough up the extra bucks for stainless piping wich ever way you rout it.