HybridZ

Spoilers effect on drag

Hey guys,

Im working on cutting down the drag on my Z, so far Ive made up a partial belly pan extending from the air dam to mid engine and make lower grill block from front bumper hight to air dam.

After looking at the wind tunnel results it looks as though a rear spoiler actually reduces drag, but this would seem counter productive as it disrupts airflow before the two streams rejoin.

I two hatches, one with a spoiler similar tot he 5" one in the wind tunnel testing, with a less aggressive curve. The second is stock. Im looking to install the one with the least amount of drag, does anyone have any experience or knowledge on the subject?

Thank you

Meph

Incase anyone is gonna start flaming, yes I searched first but didn't got a definitive answer.

Depends on your spoiler design. The stock BRE/432 whatever you want to call the 'little kick tail' will increase drag to balance the front spoiler and give grip. The same effect can be had by ballasting the rear end of the car.

Taking the kick tail off the car gained us 3 mph (140 to 143mph) on the same day at the races, in hotter less dense air (read power lost on the engine).

Adding ballast (200#) in the spare tire well regained us traction at speed (half spin at 140 is not fun...) and picked up even more speed.

The design of the spoiler is as important as having one there in the first place. Some will give a high drag penalty (the small kick-tail) at the tradeoff of traction. Others, not so much drag but same increase in stability/balance (Rusty Old Datsun style).

It pays to experiment.

racing aside, my biggest curiosity is if a spoiler will reduce drag over a stock hatch (as the wind tunnel tests seem to suggest). As a stock Z is about as aerodynamic as a parachute, I'm trying to find way to maximize efficiency when simply cursing around.

Thanks for the input

A full G nose would reduce drag more than what you have already done to the front, although that will help. On the rear, why not test the ones you already have? The rate the car slows down from a set high speed will give a useable result.

If you are only after cruising efficiencey I would not add ballast. It is great for high speed traction and stability, as Tonyd's experience suggests, but for up and down shifting accel/deccel around town driving its not good. There is a reason s30 ls1 cars get amazing mileage numbers eventhough their corvette counterparts have much better aero. The reason is weight. Lugging extra weight around town kills mileage. I am assuming by "maximize efficiency when simply cursing around" you mean mileage.

• 1 month later...

Yeah looking to improve the 1jz's mileage. but when looking at the windtunnel results the spoilers all seem to to reduce the drag over stock hatch, dont seem to make sense to me

what kinda of mpg's does it get anyways?

i say get a g nose. your car would look great with it while improving its aerodynamics

I can squeeze about 35 MPG out of my 1jz right now, thats on 80km/h roads driving it with fuel economy in mind. My goal is 40 mpg when alls said and done. I hope to get there with more tuning but im already on the edge with my ignition. I have left the spoiler on, and confident Ill be able to get to 40 after some more tuning, new diff (3.54 to 3.03 LSD hopefully) synthetic gear oils, new tires and an alignment.