HybridZ

Speedometer Malfunction

Phantom

I have a 1993 N/A convertible with an automatic transmission and about 130,000 miles. The car is bone stock.

The speedometer quit working last week. The odometer and tripometer both still work, though.

I did a search but it came up empty. Any suggestions as to what the fix would be?

• 3 weeks later...

dunno, take it to the dealer and have then hook it up to their consultII and have it test the speedo. I don't believe the Z32 speedo's are cable driven. Otherwise I'd say it was the cable. But the ConsultII should be able to test it. Probably cost you 65$ as nissan. Cheaper if you're part of a Z club.

• 1 month later...

Bump - anyone knowlegable about the electronically driven speedometer on the Z32? Is the speedometer input separate from the odometer? I have a functional odometer but the speedometer has ceased functioning. The input is from the differential on this car. NA with automatic.

You've got two main points of failure that drive these speedos.

The first is the VSS in the transmission. Since the odo and tach are still working, it's probably not that.

The second is the gauge itself - old solder and stress will do a number on the physical interface between the tach and the driver board, so check those and repair as necessary.

edit: and the input is most certainly *not* from the differential. It's from the tail shaft of the transmission.

Edited by Jehannum

Jehannum - thanks for the input. Wonder what the electrical connection was to my differential when I changed it out? I thought it was the speedo but I guess not. Anyway - looks like it's time to give it to Nissan and get ripped. Don't have the time to go after it myself.

Jehannum - thanks for the input. Wonder what the electrical connection was to my differential when I changed it out? I thought it was the speedo but I guess not. Anyway - looks like it's time to give it to Nissan and get ripped. Don't have the time to go after it myself.

Those were the sensors for the ABS.

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem on a 92TT, Auto. The speedo was intermittent before it died for good. I figured it wasn't the speed sensor after realizing the odo and whatnot kept ticking off. Took the dash out, took it apart and removed the speedo motor and circuit board. There was corrosion on the Speedo circuits. Not sure where it came from; thought it was a blown cap but after I cleaned it up it's been working fine. I soldered in a new wire to short the trace that corroded.