HybridZ

1971 240z rb25det build thread

5thgenluder

Wow!!!  Just got to page 18. Ive been lurking the threads for a while now trying to learn as much as I can.  I am already into my build and found the information on yours very helpful.  Thanks for the detailed post/ cost breakdowns/ links.  Doing an RB25 build as well.  Cant wait to see pictures after body shop.  I think my most exciting day so far was when I brought mine back from paint.  I will have to start a thread soon.  I am also learning and resolving things as I go, thanks for the added inspiration. :D

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got done binge reading the whole thread.. just wanted to say thank you!! for taking the time to explain, taking and posting pics, answering questions and posting links.. I know all of this is time consuming,but you still took the time..

I purchased a 72 240z with a blown head gasket a couple of years back (man..time flies) didn't even give it a second thought.. I knew I wanted an rb engine in it. after sourcing one about a month later, an aggressive tear down began, within a couple of weekends engine, tranny, fuel tank and even the rear end was out of the car..and then.. yep you guess it ..NOTHING!! ... anyways enough of my winning..

Thanks again for your thread.. it's been?? In a word reEnergizing!!

post-46089-0-03508400-1484410278_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought my first car. It's a '72 240z. The previous owner said that the engine had some minor problems but after further investigation its too far gone to restore. I guess I'm in the same spot you were some 7 years ago. I'll be using this thread as a bible. Great job on the build, i can only hope mine will turn out as good as yours.^_^

-Johnny

• 4 months later...

4.6 that is one of my all time favorite dash boards. I have drooled over the idea for a while. Unfortunately it is out of my current budget. I have been working on the car getting it ready. I have been tinkering with the wiring trying to get it all working. Im gonna need to update my wiring guide. I was having issues with the front parking lights coming on when I hit the brakes. I got the remainder of the original sound deadening off the floor pans. I wire wheeled them clean, rust encapsulated them, then put some dynamat down. I also used some fiberbondo to smooth the dash and then some resin as to smooth it even further. Im gonna post some pics of some of teh progress.

attachicon.gifsteering column wiring.jpg

attachicon.gifdynamat 1.jpg

attachicon.gifdynamat 2.jpg

attachicon.gifDash top.jpg

attachicon.gifdash front.jpg

Hey mate, I know this is a very old post but I am doing the exact same thing in my z with the EZ 21 relay. I'm mounting mine in the exact spot as yours I've found, and I'm curious how exactly you did it? It seems the easiest way is to get two long sheet metal screws and just drill em in, is that what you did? if you have any pictures that would also be helpful! Let me know pretty please with sugar on top haha. Regardless, rad build!

Edited by Jboogsthethug

• 4 months later...

Whats up guys! 

First off, awesome build man! Great job! 

I also have an rb25 73 Z . 

I have an issue. If I am at a quarter tank the car suddenly dies. I filled her up the other day and she is not idling correctly. When parked, i rev it and it seems to want to turn off. I do not have a surge tank, or any filters. Could this be my issue? I just got the car running and doing work on it as i go. Also cleaned out the AFM and made sure i had no vacuum leaks. I had to change out my turbo because my last one the compressor wheel blew up lol. I got an s1 turbo with steel wheel. She pulls hard but i am not sure if wastegate is opening. I have no boost solenoid. Any ideas guys? 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:47 AM, Agarc315 said:

Whats up guys! 

First off, awesome build man! Great job! 

I also have an rb25 73 Z . 

I have an issue. If I am at a quarter tank the car suddenly dies. I filled her up the other day and she is not idling correctly. When parked, i rev it and it seems to want to turn off. I do not have a surge tank, or any filters. Could this be my issue? I just got the car running and doing work on it as i go. Also cleaned out the AFM and made sure i had no vacuum leaks. I had to change out my turbo because my last one the compressor wheel blew up lol. I got an s1 turbo with steel wheel. She pulls hard but i am not sure if wastegate is opening. I have no boost solenoid. Any ideas guys? 

Best to start a new thread for this as not to clutter up his build thread

• Like 1