HybridZ

1971 240z rb25det build thread

5thgenluder

Great write-up so far! I love the idea of a Rb powerplant in the Z, but have concerns about parts availability and cost in the states. Sure, the tried and true small block is a good alternative, but this is an expensive hobby no matter which route we go! I'll be following this thread closely to help determine where I want to go with my build. Keep up the great work!

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Octane,

1st let me start by saying thank you for the kind words. 2nd let me tell you why I decided to go with the RB. I guess it all started in 2003n when I bought my 350z. I quickly added a Greddy twin turbo kit to the car and fell in love with the feeling. I knew from then on I wanted any car I built in the future to be turbocharged. I unfortunately had to sell the car a few years later when my father got diagnosed with prostate cancer. I worked for him at the time doing concrete work. He managed to continue working through his sickness but was burried in medical bills and debt. I basically worked for him for free for about a year. I had 4 jobs at the time and was doing everything I could to stay above water. When it came time to crunch, the Z was the first thing to go. I still miss that car to this day. My father disolved the company shortly after and I have a job now where I am more comfortable finacially. Shortly after his cancer went into full remission and life was looking up again. I went through a few cars trying again to find that feel. One of my favorites was my Evo MR. Still the Z was always in the back of my mind. I got rid of the Evo because I had a long commute and It wasnt a suitable daily driver for my 60 mile a day drive and wasnt winter friendly. I traded it for an 09 Altima and decided no more modding my daily driver. The quest began for a car I could pay cash for. I started looking into purchasing a used 350z with the idea of rebuilding the car I loved so much. It just so happened that while searching for Zs on my350z.com someone posted a v8 swapped 240z and boom my eyes were opened to the potential of this car. Its appearance is timeless Then I remembered a 240z that was at one of my 4 jobs. It was being completely restored at the nissan dealership I worked at at the time. . I lost out on the v8 swapped car and began a quest to find a nice 240z. In March of this year my dad lost his battle to a 2nd diagnosis of cancer, this time melonoma. I needed a project now more than ever to get my mind off of my loss. I quickly scooped up this Z. I intended to slowly fix up the car and eventually drop a SBC or rb motor in it. Unfortunately fate had a different plan. The 1st day I drove the car the motor siezed. I had to make my decision quickly. I debated for a short while about what to do and then remembered that promise I made to myself to have a turbo car. The decision was clear. RB motor it was. I think I read through every Rb thread on this forum and was in the air about an rb26 or rb25. I decided to go Rb25 because of all the threads saying it was far more cost effective. Looking at what I have spent now I probably would go rb26. So now I got the while im at it itch. parts are stacking up and so are the bills. I made this thread because I think there is a lot of misinformation on what this swap costs and involves. It brings me a great deal of pride whenever I get a reply with kind words and encouragement. I hope when Im all done this can be a sticky and I can make everyone else who does this swaps life easier. Anyway Im not sure why I just posted all this. I guess I just wanted to rant or share some of my story with everyone. Thank you all so much for keeping me motivated and thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this long post. You have all encouraged my to bear the cold and get some more work done on the car. Hopefully you can all expect an update in a few days.

First and foremost, please allow me to extend my deepest condolences to you and your family in this time of loss. These hardships are never easy.

I agree with your choice to go with a turbo motor, and the RB is a great platform to build a stout, powerful car. I too have been reading up on the inline engines in this forum, and I also agree that the RB25 a solid choice for early Z performance. You're doing a great job of documenting cost and work.

update: gauges in cups and dash

So far I have gotten 2 of the cluster gauges mounted.

1st I had to make a trim ring to mount the gauge. I used some abs plastic and cut it to fit the gauge cup and to center the gauge in the plastic.

Heres a pic.

post-11227-096077400 1291784158_thumb.jpg

and another from the side.

post-11227-036871800 1291784204_thumb.jpg

then I sandwiched that between the cup and the bezel.

post-11227-002760000 1291784266_thumb.jpg

post-11227-030162900 1291784317_thumb.jpg

used the stock hardware to reinstall it. here they are from the front and also mounted the tach and speedo. As you can see my dash is ugly. I am gonna pretty this all up next year when I fix the dash. Planning on using some bondo to fill the gaps in the gauge cups and make everything fit a bit more snug.

post-11227-068650900 1291784495_thumb.jpg

post-11227-090398100 1291784540_thumb.jpg

Well Im almost done with the gauges for now. I have to finish the last pod that is different from the rest. I also have to find a place to mount my voltage meter.

Keep up the great work I need motivation to ! I am in a bit of hold up since im waiting for cash to come in and im doing stuff that dont cost a thing but are very unpleasant to do. I am removing the sound deadner and this jobs sucks. Reading build threads of projects like mine makes it a bit easier to get the job done.

My condolences for you and your family.

Guys help me out here. I am trying to compile all the missing items for my car.

I have the following.

1. motor mounts

2. drive shaft

3. exhaust

4. intercooler

5. radiator with fan

6. greddy style intake manifold

I have on my list.

1. rb25det timing kit.

2. greddy type rs blow off valve

I think I may need.

1. new water pump. ( maybe N1)

2. boost contoller ( maybe greddy profec b )

3. zeitronix zt2 wideband.

What am I missing? What else do I need or not need?

i would definitely do a water pump. i went with the stock water pump. i hear things about street driving with the N1. i would go ahead and change the oil pump while your in there. just my opinion though... if you do change the oil pump make sure you order a gasket :P

If you have any spare patience please let me know i will paypal ya :P

I have the following.

1. motor mounts

2. drive shaft

3. exhaust

4. intercooler

5. radiator with fan

I have on my list.

1. rb25det timing kit.

I think I may need.

Oh I think I also need a q45 throttle body right?

That's a great question. Care to explain the benefits of one over the other or make a recommendation? As I understand it map is a better setup because it keeps track of pressure and therefore can monitor boost and would be an ideal setup for a tuner. As of right now I was hoping to get away with the stock ecu for a while.

Edited by 5thgenluder

• 1 month later...

Anyone got an answer on my map vs maf q45 throttle body question. Also it appears as if my master cylinder is leaking. Any ideas as to why it would leak from just sitting in my garage with no pressure in it? Also should I just replace it? And if so with what? Is there a better option?

Anyone got an answer on my map vs maf q45 throttle body question. Also it appears as if my master cylinder is leaking. Any ideas as to why it would leak from just sitting in my garage with no pressure in it? Also should I just replace it? And if so with what? Is there a better option?

I used the 1983 280zx m/c on my car, it's larger and a must if you plan on doing bigger brakes. Plus it goes right in with no modifications and can use your original dual reservoirs. Can't wait to see your car finished, I have been wanting to do this to mine for two years or so now!

GeeMan, all the info you need to do the swap is on this forum.

You just need to decide if this is what you want (there's plenty of YouTube videos of rb25 performance). Also you must consider if you are able to finance the swap.

5th gen-

The N1 water pump was designed for a street driven R34 N1 spec GTR. I would have to believe that Nissan would not include a pump that would overheat the car in normal use as this is a street car. In my opinion get what you want. Honestly, I think the negative is heresy that the Internet has talked up.

Haha sorry, just figured it was time to put that out there.

GeeMan, all the info you need to do the swap is on this forum.

You just need to decide if this is what you want (there's plenty of YouTube videos of rb25 performance). Also you must consider if you are able to finance the swap.

5th gen-

The N1 water pump was designed for a street driven R34 N1 spec GTR. I would have to believe that Nissan would not include a pump that would overheat the car in normal use as this is a street car. In my opinion get what you want. Honestly, I think the negative is heresy that the Internet has talked up.

Haha sorry, just figured it was time to put that out there.

jakeoster I agree with you about the N1 oil and water pump. I'm running N1 oil and water pump on my car and have no complains. The ones I took off were N1 as well. All of nissans N1 products are better than the oem stuff.

I have the following.

1. motor mounts

2. drive shaft

3. exhaust

4. intercooler

5. radiator with fan

I have on my list.

1. rb25det timing kit.

I think I may need.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/97559-74-260z-rb25det/

I have made some what of a list on my posting of things I used and it might give you some idea. Unfortunately I didn't really document my build from the beginning but have learnt a lot from it.

If you will retain your stock ecu and stuff for a while than don't waste your money on a greddy or any other BOV at this time. My motor has a MAP and TPS based tuning in which case I run a turboxs rfl bov vented to the atmosphere. If you run a MAF you will have to recirculate it back in the intake as its measured air like the stock setup. When you get to the point of upgrading your motor and see what direction you are head it than you can choose the correct bov for your setup.