HybridZ

1971 240z rb25det build thread

5thgenluder

Take the IACV under the manifold, make a plate out of aluminum and weld it shut.

You can set your idle rpm with the throttle screw.

I have done this with 2 different RB's and my sr20, using the same exact manifold.

With a 272 duration, 12.5mm Cam, my idle is a solid 900 rpm.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ztr. Funny thing is I was blocking it off as you were telling me. I used a piece of sheet aluminum, cut it to size. Rtv'd it on and used the screw from the bracket to hold it all in place.

I really want to get this thing started tomorrow. I dont plan on driving it but just starting it and making sure she runs.

Here is what I still need adressed.

1. 6pin near firewall. Ztr said he had one that was unused. Couldnt trace it back to anything on the ecu.

2. DONE. AAC plan to have a bung welded on my IC piping but it seems from what some have said shouldnt have a problem starting without it.

3. still dont know what these cut wires are off the alternator. Any help would be great. Looks like an agua and black wire. Comes off the alternator portion of the lower harness.

4. Blue plug near alternator. Also couldnt get a read on any of the ecu pins on this part of the harness. Might be the vss like Ztr said.

5. Brown cut plug on lower engine harness. Still no idea. Both wires coming off of it are black.

6. Green plug on drivers side. No idea on this one. Couldnt find it on the ecu.

7. Maf plug. I tested the gray wire and it does power the injectors per chris rummels write up. So this should be the Maf. Should I just leave it unplugged? Their is also a female connection on the pass side that looks identical but has 8 wires in it. No idea where that goes.

8. orange plug on drivers side. NO clue

9. Boost solenoid. Not needed. If I did want it how would I hook it up? If I wanted to bypass it how would I do that. Just run vacuum to the wastegate above the turbo?

10. Done Vss blocked off. For now.

This is how my car idles with no iacv. That is 1100 rpm, before aI adjusted the throttle screw and set the base timing.

You are in Illnois, so am I, what part are you in? I am very good at wiring if you need help.

Edited by mr jdm

Well I got it started today. Lots of work to do before it is drivable. Idled a bit rough with no AAC but ran none the less. Will get a video up once I figure out how.

Mr Jdm I am in Wheeling about 8 minutes from Bob Chins if you know where that is. Im doing alright on wiring but I would like to meet up and check out your car sometime.

I am trying to get my speedhut water temp gauge installed and have a question. I plan to remove the factory gauge sender from the intake and put the speedhut sender their. What size is the factory water temp sender? I know the speedhut is 1/8 npt but what adapter would I need to get it to fit in the stock sender location?

That is too funny, I live in Buffalo Grove and store my car in Mt. Prospect, I wouldn't mind dropping by some time tomorrow if your free between 7-9pm.

Pm me your number if your comfortable

I put my car together a while ago already, the thread is either m12x1.25 or m14x1.5 I dont remember which but that fitting is exactly what I used for oil pressure, none the less it would work for coolant.

You can also avoid that fitting, its been a while since I've played with an RB but on the water neck there should be 2 senders, one for the gauge cluster, one to the ecu.

You can simply take the one out that would goto the gauge and re-tap it for 1/8 npt and screw the sender in there instead of buying fittings.

Edited by mr jdm

I tried a few different adapters but none of them worked, to my satisfaction at least. I just tapped it to 1/4 npt and used the bushing to adapt it down. That fitting you ordered is a banjo bolt. There is also one on ebay for like 6 bux but that thing snapped after like 5ft pounds of torque. I'm running speedhuts too.

The thread is M12x1.25 Here is the thread where its mentioned: http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136304. The RB sensor is the same as the KA because i had to switch mine to the KA one for the gauge to read properly in my 240sx.

And if i were you, it the hole is bigger than the 1/8npt then drill it larger and tap with a 1/4npt and use ad adapret fitting from 1//4 to 1/8... Just like ZT-R mentioned.

-Bohdan

Edited by Bohdan

There's three things you can do with the boost solenoid; (1)Leave it how it is and plumb the vacuum lines into it. (2) Take it out and plumb your waste gate directly to a boost source, however this will only allow the turbo to build 5psi before the waste gate opens. (3)Leave it in and wire it so it is constantly grounded. click HERE. I have read that having a constant ground on it can burn the solenoid out. The best way is to get a boost controller. If you do plan on getting a controller down the road. I would suggest just hard wiring the ground, that way you can have 7 psi under 4500rmp. :D

Edited by motoman

Let me know if the link works. I have completely removed the stock harness I am curious about hooking up the alternator. I have done a lot of research but everything is connecting it to the stock harness or a 240sx harness. What should I connect If I am wiring it from scratch?