HybridZ

289/302 in a 260z

DavidDimo

hey guys, my plan is to put a 289/302 windsor in my 74 2+2 260z.

i want to use a c4 gearbox but because im keeping the motor and the gearbox stock. i was thinking of just using a standard ford tailshaft and putting a datsun rear end on it so i can keep the diff and half shafts original.

just want to know has anyone done this and are they strong enough.

personally i think it will be fine because a stock windsor isnt making much more power then a 2.6L when u think about it.

Wow. Did you bother to read ANY of the faq section or stickies? Ok. Welcome to the forum. Your swap has been done many times, and yes the rear end can handle fairly stock levels of power. I would next like to direct you to the WONDERFUL FAQ forum section. IT has threads for pretty much everything you might need. Searching the subforum of the ford v8 section will get you all you need. There are a few personal websites built by individuals who did the ford swap. There is a member who makes the mount cradle for the SBF.

You will be much better received here if you do your own research first and then come back with half a clue and begin asking questions pertinent to specific issues you may be having.

Welcome to the site. Not everyone here is so sarcastic but searching will be your friend. There is tons of info here and some people are really sensitive to repeating info.

Alsil used to make a engine cradle for the sbf, not sure if anyone took over for him. I've seen a similar setup here that uses a bolt on crossmember between the engine mounts. The dimensions were given so you could make your own, I don't think Alsil's measurements are available.

http://zcar.netdojo.com/ Thats Alsil's website.

Get a shop to make a drive shaft and put ford and datsun ends on them and you will be fine for a stock sbf.

Good Luck!

• 3 months later...

post-3894-020187000 1290918114_thumb.jpg

hey guys, my plan is to put a 289/302 windsor in my 74 2+2 260z.

i want to use a c4 gearbox but because im keeping the motor and the gearbox stock. i was thinking of just using a standard ford tailshaft and putting a datsun rear end on it so i can keep the diff and half shafts original.

just want to know has anyone done this and are they strong enough.

personally i think it will be fine because a stock windsor isnt making much more power then a 2.6L when u think about it.

Hi David, I was looking around ebay today and happened to see a Ford V-8 mount set up for the 240, 260 and 280z bodystyle. see this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250730638517&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT if the reserve price is not set too high, that could be a good deal to help your installation.