Blow through turbo setups?

vega

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is funny how this subject is rehashed over and over. Tony D always tries to set the record straight on the drawbacks of blow through carbs and to use EFI. There is no one that I know of who has as much experience with blow through set ups on Zs. For myself I will probably get my blow through supercharged running one of these years and learn the hard way that I should have just used the triples normally aspirated. But what the heck, some of us are just too hard headed to listen to the experts on the subject and can only learn by our own mistakes.

Edited by SHO-Z

As for the r200 I don't think it can handle the tq of a low revving v8 without too much stress if the tires actually hook as I am working on the suspension to do so- I am not building a drift car where it doesn't matter.

You may break halfshafts but I think it's proven that the R200 is strong enough for most people.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/72292-r200-durability-can-it-handle-400hp/page__p__686923__hl__%2Br200+%2Bhorsepower__fromsearch__1#entry686923

"no that is NOT the criteria of the swap.... that makes no sense. My point was that nistune is not available for these the 280z ecu- one would have to- as previously stated swap to a z31 ecu. OR one could just swap to a gm ecu. I will NOT be retaining my stock ecu when the car is modified for any reason. "

Then why did you mention it in the first place? I said Nisstune, you said 'Nistune don't work on my stock ECU'---ergo, You can't use Nisstune, inferring a dependence on the 78 ECU. I don't see why you mentioned it other than to make a non-sequitur in this instance...the whole flow of the conversation has already at that point obviated a different ECU, ALL of which (Nissan Based) will work with Nisstune. That you want to parse the meaning of the installation is beside the point (daughterboard allowing on-the fly burns and changes as opposed to physical chip burning outside of the case after hexidecimal hacking....) (I guess)

As for that spooner attitude on the R200, since nobody has posted the obvious and he mentions 'wheels hooking'...:

post-380-073437700 1282253378_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tony D

well I am looking for about 350-400 crank hp.

I have seen that picture before I was told that it was not an r200 in that pic. Also proven force a the major diff builder up here in mn told me that 400 tq is about max those diffs can take before they start breaking- now I can't remember if it was wtq or crank but all the same. Also he was the one that told me how the diff is affected with different rpm levels etc. he (mike- his last name escapes me) has been doing the diff thing for 30 plus years.

What is a spooner attitude btw? I have not heard that phrase before-

You may break halfshafts but I think it's proven that the R200 is strong enough for most people.

http://forums.hybrid...__1#entry686923

that is a great link- i hope all the people there are telling the truth if that is true then that is great- what are these 10 second z's doing for maintenance and what kind of oil in their diffs?

well I am looking for about 350-400 crank hp.

I have seen that picture before I was told that it was not an r200 in that pic. Also proven force a the major diff builder up here in mn told me that 400 tq is about max those diffs can take before they start breaking- now I can't remember if it was wtq or crank but all the same. Also he was the one that told me how the diff is affected with different rpm levels etc. he (mike- his last name escapes me) has been doing the diff thing for 30 plus years.

What is a spooner attitude btw? I have not heard that phrase before-

Thanks for the tip. I'll stay away from Proven Force if I have to get something rebuilt.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

It is funny how this subject is rehashed over and over. Tony D always tries to set the record straight on the drawbacks of blow through carbs and to use EFI. There is no one that I know of who has as much experience with blow through set ups on Zs. For myself I will probably get my blow through supercharged running one of these years and learn the hard way that I should have just used the triples normally aspirated. But what the heck, some of us are just too hard headed to listen to the experts on the subject and can only learn by our own mistakes.

Guys I'm sorry, I know this has been beaten to death, but I'm new to this whole scene. I realize this thread died a long time ago but I'm curius as to if there is a improved method to blow through triple carbs these days. are there still hard heads still running this set up? If so can someone enlighten me. If not, what is the best way to turbo my engine if I currently have triple mikuni's that most say will not work with a turbo set up. I just want a semi daily driver that can get me there fast as hell, or faster.

So are my options? ....

1. The ITB with the engine management set up is attractive but what kind of street speed will it deliver?

2. How much of a nightmare would converting to efi with turbo be?

3. What other turbo options would I have that I don't know about (if any)? Is there something like a bolt on turbo manifold with some kind of fuel management/delivery out there?

Again, please excuse my lack of knowledge on turbo, and keep in mind I have an expert that is going to get me there, I am just waiting in line for him to get to me, we have discussed this over the phone but again I am eager to start learning what my options are going to be once he gets to me.

There's a guy in our club (Ontario Z Car) who just made over 600 Hp on a 3.1l L28 with a triple Mikuni blow-through setup. No EFI. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the dyno sheet. So it can be done. I don't have many details beyond that though.

Nigel

There's a guy in our club (Ontario Z Car) who just made over 600 Hp on a 3.1l L28 with a triple Mikuni blow-through setup. No EFI. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the dyno sheet. So it can be done. I don't have many details beyond that though.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, 600Hp wow, I'd die an early death with all of that. Actually I don't desire the absolute fastest beast, just fast for me, if that makes sense.

Anyway, How can I get in touch with this fellow?

"if there is a improved method to blow through triple carbs these days."

Yes, I got an e-mail from Newton just the other day, the laws of physics have changed and don't apply anymore!

Asked, Answered, Documented: Search and Read.

The "Slow" RS-Okinawa car had 444kw (Bosch Eddy Current Dyno) in 1987, no computer controlled ignition, no efi, no crankfire timing.

Edited by Tony D

"if there is a improved method to blow through triple carbs these days."

Yes, I got an e-mail from Newton just the other day, the laws of physics have changed and don't apply anymore!

Asked, Answered, Documented: Search and Read.

The "Slow" RS-Okinawa car had 444kw (Bosch Eddy Current Dyno) in 1987, no computer controlled ignition, no efi, no crankfire timing.

LOL!!!

Point WELL taken Bro.

I've been introduced to a  fellow z driver  who recently dyno'd 640Hp with his set up, so hopefully when we talk he will shed his experience about the science of blow thru.

Oh and I heard back from Whitehead performance, and was informed that they would be glad to help mewith the necessary hardware. Good news Indeed.