HybridZ
azcarbum

Performance S13 Coilover Adaptor tubes - ZCCJDM

I have been asked to start a new thread regarding the coilover adaptor tubes that I will be having run for you guy's. This is being done so that I don't seem to HiJack Dan's thread that he had began regarding these tube adaptors.

I want to make it perfectly clear that I am accepting no credit for the developement Idea of these tubes. The reason I have offered to make these, is only on the basis that it had (has) appeared to have stalled on the production of these items, and I was contacted and asked if I could make these items happen in a timely manner.... I give full credit to Dan for this part idea, and if he is now completing the run on these items, I would have members purchase through him if they so feel that is more appropriate.

But as per the last page of so of the original thread, I have began the production of sets for both 280z and 240z.

Brian - ZCCJDM

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The run on the 240z & 280Z Coilover tube adaptors for S13 Coilovers is continuing as described in earlier thread.

Tubes will be made of DOM steel. Lower tube ends will be machined to allow for "Press" fit to either 240z or 280z strut tubes. Tube threads available will be both for Stance & Megan's style coilovers. These threads cover many other coilover options, and can be researched on this site.

Coilover camber plate adaptors will be available to allow the use of the S13 camber plates. These strut plates will require modification and welding to the strut tower.

Coilover tubes are expected to be completed in the next 2-3 weeks. Initial run for HBZ will consist of 20 sets ( 10 240z and 10 280Z )... ( 5 of the 10 sets of each will be for Megan's, and Stance coilovers. )

**I strongly recommend that all welding and modification be completed by a professional shop.

Edited by azcarbum

Glad you're in a new thread. Many props to ZCC for making these happen with speed. With the backing of a company already making a ton of pieces for Zs, we can even now know that this option will be around for a while and we can rely on great communication regarding as well. I'm all for a 240z setup.

update:

First we are going to run the Megan's.... The plan is to make two sets to have you guy's evaluate. This is to make sure that the tubes press into place and fit appropriately. So when he has them done, ( which will be in the next week or so ) I'll contact 2 members.

I would like to have 2 members that are ready to go on this conversion. This way we can get feedback asap!!...... So please speak up if your down for taking this on.

If feedback looks like everything is appropriate, I will then have him go for making a larger run.... Also, by that time I should have the Stance coilover in my hand as well. Then we'll get going on that run as well.

On another note.... I have the camber plates for the bolt on conversion. These are the ones that need to be welded to the top of the strut tower, and allows for the use of the upper ball hat and camber setup from the Megans. I will also be working on getting them for the Stance hats as well.

So all the peices are sourced, and I'll be working on making not only tube kits, but also complete packages w/ plates, and or plates only.. etc...

B.

Brian, out of curiosity, will strut bars be able to be used with these new upper plates? I saw that 240dan's original plates lacked the upper strut mount bolts, therefore eliminating the possibility of running a strut brace without welding it on.

I am sure it can be made to be.

There are no strut top bolts as the early Z's with this setup. The only bolt shown on the plates would be the adjustment bolts for the camber hats. I already have something in mind to allow for a strut bar.

B. ;)

Edited by azcarbum

Update:

Stance coilover has arrived.. So both Megan and Stance are at the shop for R&D.

My machinist is working on his thread Test plugs for the Megan's. After that we'll get on the Stance.

Now my mahcinist and I have been doing some serious digging on this project, especially in the material department. Our conclusion at this time is that chromoly is NOT the right material for these adaptors (hang with me here )... Yes chromoly is hard and tough, but it's welding properties, even by a experienced welder leave to much possiblities for failure and fatigue in the welds. Due to this being so important, as it's our suspension, we both feel this leaves to many possibilities for problems.

We are evaluating what we feel will be a better material. It will require a bit more machine time as we will be making the tubes from solid core, but the cost is a GIve-Take when it comes to chromoly. The main improvment will be a simple welding process by a competent welder with no pre or post heating, and with no issues with weld integrity. Compression strengths are 80,000lbs as well, which should be more than appropriate for this use.

My machinist ask's that you have a bit more patience than 2 weeks, as he's a bit of a perfectionist, and covering all the aspects of this part in everyway is important.

PS: camber plates for both Megans and Stance will be available w/ strut tower bar options to be added.

Edited by azcarbum

I think that's a delay no one can really say no to. One of my biggest fears of coilover adaptors are failing welds. You can never be too safe with something like that, so glad you guys are putting so much effort into it all!

Edited by LoneStarS30Z