HybridZ

F54 with su carbs??

corey_49

Well it is about time that my 71 240z needs a new motor, or a rebuild. My mechanic wants me to Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) and just rebuild the original but it seems like a bit of a wast of time when i already have a 280z 5 speed in the car. Is it possible to use the F54 block with su carbs. Then later if i want to switch to a turbo motor or fuel injection i can, and already have a good motor to start from. I just don't want to rebuild this engine and 4 years down the road have to make a new one again from scratch. Also parts for the F54 block are easier to get since the engine is a few years newer. All i would like to know is how hard this could be and if it is worth doing, i am not looking for a hardcore motor with lots of HP i am going into university and want it to last and be cheap to repair if i do have a bit too much fun. :)

Dude, you do realize that except for a couple minor details there is no difference between them, right? Also parts are still going to be hard to find, as only the distributor and fuel system are different.

(besides the head casting number, even then you can switch it out with the one you currently have)

Edited by hoov100

That is what i thought, but i am not a mechanic and am unsure of all the small changes. What i would like to know exactly is what differences there are between the original L24 and the updated L28 F54 block.

Thanks for your advice

Differences between the blocks? Not much except for the size of the bore.

The advantage to switching out your L24 for the L28 are those extra 400cc of displacement.

This swap can be done, and very easily. About the only modifications I had to do to my F54/P79 in order to run SU carbs involved providing the right fuel pressure and drilling some extra holes in the intake/exhaust gasket so my intake manifolds could bolt up to it. That's it. There's nothing fancy at all about this swap.