HybridZ

280zx mods

Dusto1002

no turbo l28 motors or tranys or ecus around. not even a donor car with bad exterior or interior :/ im running low on hope, can i keep it n/a and make 250+hp? including a turbo ecu for tuning a custom cam and all bolt ons available, i want it to be kind of a sleeper/daily driver

no turbo l28 motors or tranys or ecus around. not even a donor car with bad exterior or interior :/ im running low on hope, can i keep it n/a and make 250+hp? including a turbo ecu for tuning a custom cam and all bolt ons available, i want it to be kind of a sleeper/daily driver

The 280zxt turbo ECU is not tuneable, you need a 85-89 300zx ECU with nistune, or an aftermarket ECU. I would say 150-200WHP with all bolt ons, a cam and a custom tune.

3k will easily get you a good turbo L28.

You could even turbo your stock motor for now.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/82371-my-notes-on-the-na-l28-to-turbo-swap/page__view__findpost__p__780383__fromsearch__1

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/80019-mats-flat-black-z-build-thread/page__st__100__p__863509__hl__flatblackz__fromsearch__1#entry863509

Read these. Specifically the first one. Possible plan if your wanting to improve performance would be megasquirt your ZX as is, then find a f54/p90 or other lower compression combo and swap it in with all the turbo goodies once you have a grasp of megasquirt.

But.... I reccomend before any of this you learn all that you can about the engine/car as is. Once youve learned it inside and out THEN modify it.

Edited by Challenger

ok i think i can manage to find a f54/p90 if i get that combo id be able to run a turbo with a 10-15 psi range and it would bolt up to everything else already in the car right? thanks alot btw ive been reading that forum at work and getting yelled at hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Turboing the na motor is very feasible.. I'm doing the slow process of getting all the parts.. The na l28 can easily handle stock boost ~7psi. It would probably be cheaper to swap to turbo and build from there.. Doing intake and porting along with head work like you said would most likely be more expensive than boost.. I'm piecing together the stock turbo parts and I'm only spending about $1500 for every thing, most expensive being megasquirt. I suggest dig around this forum and plenty of reading, there's plenty of good info on aftermarket modifications for the l series.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi I'm new to this forum I have a 79 280zx that I'm building I have megasquirt 2 v3 lc 2 wideband o2 and 6 al ignition blaster 2 coil Walbro 255 fuel pump 96 240sx throttle body etc. I'm having a hard time finding a turbo engine any help would be amazing as I have everything wired up to my na engine and its nice but want the l28et that was my plan when I started my build I see a lot of post where people have picked them up for dirt cheap just want in on that lol thank you for your time