HybridZ

Vacuum formed kick panel speaker pods.

Derek

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for an update!

Well I got the drivers side done including mounting and wiring. I happy to announce that the dead pedal issue is very workable. Not perfect though. I'm 6' tall and have 350Z seats in the car. This forces me to drive with a little more leg bend than I normally would and also puts my foot higher on the pedal than I normally would have it. I can't switch between the clutch and dead pedals by just laying my foot to the left like I was before. Now the funny thing about the human species is that the same skill set that allows us to comprehend driving allows us to adjust to things like this pretty quickly. Five miles in traffic is all it took. I don't even notice it anymore. Basically I just have to reposition my heal slightly as I go to the pedal.

I also pulled the passenger side today and it looks like the first one is going to be a winner. I did a quick test fit at the end of the day and I'm pretty satisfied.

Now for some issues. The carpet covers will not be on the production pieces. Nice idea but too much hassle for this size run. Also has a lot of potential for fit problems. I will cut the panels to match the factory fiberboard panels. This is the safest bet. Speaking of factory panels...I only have the passengers side. I just reversed it to do the drivers side. Does anyone have both of them out of their car and if so can you post whether or not there is a difference in the outline. I don't think there is but I want to be sure.

Now for the pricing. I have enough plastic in stock to pull 4 sets of panels. These panels will be priced at $100.00 a pair plus shipping. I think this is a pretty fair price and weighed a few things to come up with it. Kick panel pods for new cars are in the $150.00 range. If you build your own you'll have at least $50.00 in materials and a couple of weekends labor.

Now comes the tricky bit. I only want to sell the first 4 to people who are going to put them right in their car including the speaker install. Like it or not you'll be paying for the honor of being a beta tester.

The only thing I'm worried about is how they fit on a car that has stock rocker panel covering. After we verify that the four fit then I'll do a larger run if there is demand. I think there will be as this is probably the cleanest easiest way to get speakers in the front. I can't guarantee that the price will stay at $100.00 but I'm going to try.

Daphur280

Mutant Speed

RS Speed

Datsun723

Were the first 4 to ask about buying them. Sorry Chartoo I'm only doing US deliveries on the first run. If there is demand for a second run and the price goes up I'll still sell you a set at $100.00 US.

Remember these panels only work in 70-73 cars. The only issues I can see on the first run may be the lack of a hole for something on an earlier car. Mine is a 73 by the way.

I'll post pics of the passengers side tomorrow.

Derek

Edited by Derek

derek, pulled a spare pair i have in my inventory, 72 & 73 vintage. only difference i see is a small 'notch' above the dead pedal, about 1 1/2" long and 1/8" up into the panel, absent on the right or passenger panel.

Thanks for that.

I had to band saw that very area out of the way to get the panel to slide up in place.

Derek

Derek,

It's exactly this type of creativity that unexpectedly allows a new option/product for our beloved cars that makes me happy to be a part of this Hybridz. A big thanks goes to you for even making this a possibility. I may be into a set later on after the first four have installed and reported back.

Thanks Nelsonian.

Sorry datsun723. I doubt if I'll be producing these for the later models but you never know!

Well I got the passenger side mounted and wired. The carpet cover was a real PIA to get shaped correctly.

DSC_0012.jpg

Man what a difference front speakers makes! Much better sound. I tested it out with the same song I've used since 1979 for testing out my sound systems....Comfortably Numb. You can guarantee that gets volume whenever it comes on!

Well I'm might happy I followed through with this. It really cleaned up my kick area as well.

Derek

Dang, my car is a early '74 260z. It has the newer dash in it. Not sure if these are going to fit. Any ideas?

I don't know what the differences are. I do know that I'm only using the lower section of the panels on my car. It was easier for me to install by cutting the tops of the panels off. The only way you can see up in there is if you stick your head under the dash.

Maybe someone with the knowledge will chime in.

Derek

Hey Derek,

What do you think about showing some of that vacuum forming magic on the spare tire well for 10" or 12" subs? Just throwing it out there.....

Thats a lot of plastic, plus it would have to be thick to handle the weight don't ya think? Maybe a formed shape to attach to a wood panel for strength?

Hey Derek,

What do you think about showing some of that vacuum forming magic on the spare tire well for 10" or 12" subs? Just throwing it out there.....

I would probably shy away from that. Mainly because when I got it all done people would look at it and go "I could make one cheaper than that" and they'd be right. The kick pods are more sculpted and would be more labor intensive.

I will say though I'm going to be exploring a pillar pod gauge mount as my next item.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update!

I pulled and cut out the four sets. The first set is ready to get shipped to my first victim .. I mean customer tomorrow. I have a second set going out Monday so hopefully we'll know shortly how it's going to work out. I cut them exactly like the stock panels so I don't foresee any problems but I just want to make sure before I offer them up.

Here's the finished product. I sprayed them with SEM trim black for Tyler but I don't know if I'll be spraying the production ones or not.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

I'm including a bracket to move the hood release cable up and away from the speaker.

DSC_0002.jpg

And as usual I've included the hardware.

Time to start working on the pillar pod!

Derek

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interested in purchasing a pair if your still producing... or have any left.

I'm doing a production run right now as a matter of fact! I'll have them ready the middle of next week. I'll shoot you a PM when they're ready if you'd like.

Now for the bad news. I'm bumping the price up to $110.00 for the pair. If you don't want the hood cable bracket then I'll go $100.00. But if you have a hood cable then you will want the bracket.

Thanks

Derek

• 2 weeks later...