HybridZ
Nelsonian

Nelsonian 240z

As usual it's been awhile since last updating, but not a whole lot to update on currently. I just received my new rear YZ quarter panels from Ztrix.com and did a quick mock up for visual sake. After switching wheels from the 9.5" Rota RB's to the wider Volk Te37's at 10" I wanted to stuff the widest performance street tire that I could and the old Subtle Z rear quarters would not have let me do that. Today I ordered a set of 275/40R/17" BF Goodrich Sport Comp 2 tires and will have them in and mounted mid next week. I also picked up a mint condition, barely used Ford 8.8 IRS posi trac differential 3.55 gear ratio from an '02 Expedition whom the seller said only had between 50 to 75 miles on it. He is or was a Ford tech and said the then new expedition still under warranty was misdiagnosed as having a bad rear diff causing a shimmy. After the new one (this one I purchased) was installed and driven for the said 50 to 75 miles it was clear that it was not the root cause. The diff was then purchased by the seller and he held on to it until today when he put it up for sale and I snagged it. I am patiently waiting for the custom mounts to materialize in another thread so I can get some and continue on with the other parts needed to put all on the car.  I had my body/paint guy Stuart come out and look at the new quarter panels in preparation to starting back working on the car, but he wanted me to have all parts on and ready before going down the guessing route with body mods and fitment. Makes sense and I should have known better by now after having something built before a major component is in it's place for fitment purposes.

I started cleaning out some of the light surface rust in my stock 240Z gas tank with Evapo-rust and have it soaking from last Thursday. I had it boiled out a long time ago and put into storage, but you can't hide from the damn rust demons. I am also now committed to removing the rear spare tire well and going with a fuel cell and surge tank set up and when the time comes to resume will commission  that work to Stuart. I am also putting the remaining "to get" engine parts on hold (forged pistons and rods, fluidamper), to focus on the body work. Tomorrow I will pick up my 2JZ engine from my planned engine builder Mark and put it into my storage garage for a bit. Mark has had it in his garage for a few years now and has moved into a new house with a smaller garage and has another three engines and tons of other parts. That's about it for now. Pictures show the quarter panels loosely taped on and over the existing Subtle Z panels along with the custom blended spoiler protruding into it's intended spot of application resulting in it pushing out a good inch a the top and back. Basically just excited when the box arrived and had to get a quick and dirty visual look for motivation......

9912.jpg

P1030561_IRFV.jpg

P1030563_IRFV.jpg

P1030564_IRFV.jpg

P1030566_IRFV.jpg

P1030568_IRFV.jpg

P1030569_IRFV.jpg

P1030571_IRFV.jpg

P1030589_IRFV.jpg

P1030591_IRFV.jpg

P1030593_IRFV.jpg

P1030594_IRFV.jpg

P1030595_IRFV.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian
I'm old and can't spell any more

Had to meet with Mark my previously planned engine builder and pick up my engine to bring down to the storage garage today. This is the closest my car a has come to it's new intended heart transplant so far. Just a few pics and finally bagged it up for a little more hibernation .....

P1030601_IRFV.jpg

P1030597_IRFV.jpg

P1030599_IRFV.jpg

The new tires came in and had them mounted at the end of last week. This has me motivated to make some progress with the build. I called my old friend Tho Chung who has previously done the majority of fab work on the car, to see if I can get him to finish up the stitch welding in the front and rear of the car as well as cut out the rear floor with the spare tire well. Still waiting to hear back and plan accordingly. 

P1030603_IRFV.jpg

P1030602_IRFV.jpg

P1030604_IRFV.jpg

P1030605_IRFV.jpg

• Like 1

It looks like you are pursuing the same basic vision as I am...you are just much further along.  Looking really great.

What do you think of the basic quality and fit of the Ztrix parts?  I am torn between the IMSA kit, the YZ kit (like yours), or the Pandem kit.  I like the looks of the pandem kit the least, but being Japanese it is probably of very high quality.

Do your strut tower bars tie into the dash bar, or ?  And do they eliminate the possibility of using wipers?  I still haven't decided how I am going to handle doing that portion of the cage.

I admire the dedication of your fab guy doing the stitch welding for you.  I did it on my own car and thought about killing myself a few times.  It really is a sucky job, particularly if done thoroughly.

Edited by Ironhead

I am happy with the overall quality of the Ztrix parts, but as with any fiberglass parts there are some finishing touches needed. John Washington is a great guy to deal with and responds and answers any and all questions in a timely fashion. As for my front chromoly tubing, the shock towers just connect to a flat plate footing on the fire wall so the wipers still function. I intend to stitch weld the firewall next. I only have a 4 point roll bar as it will primarily be a street car with intentions to occasionally autocross, canyon carve, maybe non competitive fun day run at Willow Springs, etc... I just got in touch with Tho Chung of Time Machine Race craft who has the time and has agreed to finish all the stitch welding. We also discussed the removal of the rear spare tire floor area in prep for a fuel cell and mounting cage. Hopefully next weekend I can get the car up to him to start. Tough decisions on how to go about it with the widebody  choices. I would agree with you and say the Pandem kit would be my last choice of the three, just my opinion there...

Edited by Nelsonian

Nelson, do you have any estimate as to how much of the flares will be filled up with the 275s?  I suppose without your drivetrain mounted it is pretty hard to guess....

I am "thinking" (still a ways down the road) of running 315s in the rear....and I was wondering if the YX flares would fit them....or if I would have to go with the IMSA kit....

3 hours ago, Ironhead said:

Nelson, do you have any estimate as to how much of the flares will be filled up with the 275s?  I suppose without your drivetrain mounted it is pretty hard to guess....

I am "thinking" (still a ways down the road) of running 315s in the rear....and I was wondering if the YX flares would fit them....or if I would have to go with the IMSA kit....

I could only guess at this point as to how the final fitment will play out. I will be using a Ford 8.8 IRS diff, custom Driveshaft Shop axles for my rear set up. I called and spoke with John in regards to the possibility of making the rear quarters a half inch narrower. He seemed to think it could be done, but in the end I decided to just order standard size. I still like other wheel options out there, (Work VS KF, or VS XX, BBS RS GT, or SSR Professor SP1R) all in 2 or 3 piece and wide width's.  

The YZ rear quarters will accommodate up to a 12" rim and house 315's. Case in point would be Darius' 240Z here...

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1412-1972-datsun-240z-chevrolet-small-block/

Posted (edited)

Finally got the old project moving in gear and loaded up for a little 45 mile drive up to Tho Chung's garage at Time Machine Racecraft for more stitch and spot welding as well as some fabrication. I also got a chance to see his '74  Mazda RX4 that I love in that green color. Also snapped a few pics of the front upper engine bay structure that was crumpled in the previous owners wreck. I am on the hunt for a replacement piece if anyone has a clean non rusty/crusty piece on the passenger side.I am planning on having the new Ford 8.8 lsd vapor blasted to remove the years of oxidation and leave a clean even sheen. That's it for now....

IMG_20180308_140122653_HDR_IRRFV.jpg

IMG_20180308_152536401_HDR_IRFV.jpg

IMG_20180308_153800061_HDR_IRFV.jpg

IMG_20180308_162133718_IRFV.jpg

IMG_20180308_162156780_IRFV.jpg

IMG_20180308_162203365_IRFV.jpg

IMG_20180308_163012125_IRFV.jpg

P1030591_IRFV.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

Posted (edited)

A few pics of the initial front end stitch weld progress from this past week. The Endura brand epoxy primer has been a real challenge to remove and prep for the stitch welding. I have been super stoked that it has lasted as long as it has since it was applied several years back, but it has slowed down the welding with pre prep. I am in the process of breaking down the diff to bring up to Anaheim and have it vapor blasted, but have been contemplating having it dry blasted then powder coated instead. Not quite sure which path to take just yet. More to come. 

Stitchweld.jpg

Stitchweld_2.jpg

Stitchweld_3.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

20 minutes ago, seattlejester said:

Wow, going all out.

Are you going to reinforce the master cylinder area as well? 

Yes, every seam will be touched. Going to make it as strong as I can, minus full cage. Squeaks Be Damned!!!

Posted (edited)

Went up to visit the car today and pay off some of the bill and generally view the progress. The engine bay is almost complete, just need to remove and back fill the rivnut holes that were intended for the battery tray that will no longer be used. Prior to this round of work, I had Tho weld in rivnuts to make the cleaned up battery tray removable, but after committing to the fuel cell I will mount the battery in the back as well. A few of the factory spot welded areas will be beefed up with new spot welds beside them also. 

Opened up the Ford 8.8 irs diff to find a watery mix in with the synthetic fluid which has a grit like, dirt texture inside. Starting to wonder if this diff was involved in a flooding. Not quite jiving with the sellers story ,but I was in need of a housing anyway and it is very externally clean. None of the gears are damaged in any way thankfully. I will be cleaning this out this week and getting new bearings and gasket. That's about it for this past week, but stitch welding will continue starting in the cabin.

P1030607_IRFV.jpg

P1030608_IRFV.jpg

P1030609_IRFV.jpg

P1030610_IRFV.jpg

P1030611_IRFV.jpg

P1030612_IRFV.jpg

P1030614_IRFV.jpg

P1030615_IRFV.jpg

P1030616_IRFV.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

On 3/20/2018 at 5:26 AM, Nelsonian said:

But it adds + 5HP, I read it on the internet so it must be true!!!:lol:

It's kind of funny...with that stitch welding....I found it was easier to just do everything than to decide where there might be a benefit and where there wouldn't.  As long as you do it slowly and don't overheat things....there is no way a stitch weld can really do harm...so....you know....go for it.

Project looking great dude.

A little update on the work that has been happening for the last month plus. Almost all of the stitch welding is complete from the front of the rear shock towers forward. I will have the rear finished at another time when we get the 15 gal Radium (FCST) fuel cell surge tank and have the car back on the intended suspension and wheels. The rear spare tire will obviously be cut out and provide better access to the intended stitch welding areas. The passenger side rear quarter panel that was poorly applied by the previous owner who fixed the wrecked area, was cleaned up and new spot welds applied. The small window areas will be cleaned up and fixed as the passenger side has a screw hole piece of metal as thin as dental floss on one of the holes. 

I am having Tho remove and weld in the Riv nuts that he had applied awhile back to make the battery tray removable as that will now be relocated to the rear with the intended fuel cell project.

The pinched upper frame rail in the engine bay has been cut, blasted, a weldable primer applied and pieced in place with a little bit more clean up work needed, ( Big Thanks to Member NW240Z for cutting the piece out from his parts car and sending it my way). The stock transmission mounts/ears were removed in preparation for the CD009 trans swap for when the time comes for that. I bought a Hoke Performance lower mount for that swap. He ended up sending me out some better slotted mounting plates after I received the mount kit on his dime, (Great guy to do business with).

The BF Goodrich all season tires were returned as I saw another ad for the performance summer version (sport comp 2) that I initially wanted but was told they could not get them. The company contacted BF Goodrich and got me the 275 rears and 245 fronts, so back in business with all things wheels.

I am hopefully looking at all the welding and fab work to be finished in two more weeks and will hopefully have the car brought back down to my body/paint guy Stuart to start blending in the new rear YZ quarter panels and adjusting the front Rocket Bunny bumper to fit within the Ztrix subtle Z front end.

P1030623_IRFV.jpg

P1030652_IRFV.jpg

P1030653_IRFV.jpg

P1030656_IRFV.jpg

P1030660_IRFV.jpg

P1030662_IRFV.jpg

P1030664_IRFV.jpg

P1030676_IRFV.jpg

P1030677_IRFV.jpg

P1030680_IRFV.jpg

P1030696_IRFV.jpg

P1030697_IRFV.jpg

P1030710_IRFV.jpg

P1030711_IRFV.jpg

P1030713_IRFV.jpg

P1030714_IRFV.jpg

P1030715_IRFV.jpg

P1030728_IRFV.jpg

P1030730_IRFV.jpg

P1030732_IRFV.jpg

P1030734_IRFV.jpg

P1030635_IRFV.jpg

P1030636_IRFV.jpg

P1030637_IRFV.jpg

P1030738_IRFV.jpg

Posted (edited)

I started on a few small projects of my own as in stripping the exterior of the stock gas tank priming then painting it. I also soaked the inside with Evaporust for three weeks flipping it around in a big tub as over time in storage it began to have flash rust form inside. I originally had it hot tanked at Ace Radiators in San Diego years back with intentions to modify it into a custom fuel cell. I bought a member made ring and had it Cadmium coated as well as bought new fuel filler tube and fuel sending unit from MSA. Stripped the outside paint with Aircraft remover, my Crud thug and 3m wheel. Applied Dominion Sure seal etching primer and finished with Rustolium gloss black rattle cans. It's an amateur job at best and shows the dings and dents, but it sure was fun doing it. I also took my new used Tech 2 Motorsports 2JZGTE cross member and engine mounts and applied the same Rustolium gloss black to clean up the scrapes from the previous owner who test fitted his engine in the bay with it. I intend to sell the stock tank, filler tube and  fuel sending unit soon.

Lastly I wanted to have all the cross members, mounts and steering pieces in a uniform gloss black color so painfully had to take back some of the components I had powder coated in a wheel silver years ago to have re powder coated in the mentioned gloss black.  I also took the front T3 lower control arms apart and along with the rear Z Race Products had them coated in a sparkle silver and the tc rods in a candy sparkle red to match the aftermarket front sway bar I had done along time ago. Lastly I came across some new, unused  Bad Dog single point jack plates that I forgot I had in an improperly marked storage box. I soaked them in the Evaporust to clean them back to original condition and will put them up for sale shortly as I will not be using them. That's about it for now...

P1030572_IRFV.jpg

P1030573_IRFV.jpg

P1030576_IRFV.jpg

P1030584_IRFV.jpg

P1030588_IRFV.jpg

P1030617_IRFV.jpg

P1030619_IRFV.jpg

P1030620_IRFV.jpg

P1030621_IRFV.jpg

P1030628_IRFV.jpg

P1030629_IRFV.jpg

P1030641_IRFV.jpg

P1030642_IRFV.jpg

P1030643_IRFV.jpg

P1030645_IRFV.jpg

P1030648_IRFV.jpg

P1030670_IRFV.jpg

P1030674_IRFV.jpg

P1030700_IRFV.jpg

P1030701_IRFV.jpg

P1030703_IRFV.jpg

P1030716_IRFV.jpg

P1030719_IRFV.jpg

P1030720_IRFV.jpg

P1030721_IRFV.jpg

P1030722_IRFV.jpg

P1030724_IRFV.jpg

P1030638_IRFV.jpg

P1030639_IRFV.jpg

P1030640_IRFV.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

1 hour ago, Ironhead said:

Lookin great dude....thanks for the update pics!

Thank you sir...

33 minutes ago, rturbo 930 said:

Any thoughts on gusseting your cage to the roof? I've heard it helps.

I think I will skip that final move as this is more than enough for a primarily intended street driven car. I am hoping to wrap most of the interior with an alcantara micro suede as opposed to the stock vinyl material.