HybridZ

DIY Stage III Shift Kit Installation for S30 and S130 Jatco Autos

RB30X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for the comment. Shift kits aren't just for drag racing, they just improve the overall performance of the transmission. It is a small market. I struggled initiatially to find anyone who actual knew how to modify the jatco box. B&M sell DIY shift kits for most GM and Ford model boxes so I thought I'd develop the same thing.

B&M used to make a "shift kit" for the 3n71b and I put it in my mazda RX5 cosmo.

It didn't look like they spent much time on it and the included literature was sparse.

This is totally sweet by comparison with nice photos of the process.

NIce job RB30x!!!.

Here in America, the best trans. to use as a starting point is from a RX-7 turbo, Z31 turbo, or Mitsubishi starion/conquest ESI/TSI and swap over a 1984 maxima bellhousing for the 4n71b or use the one from your Z for the 3n71b if you want to use it with the L28.........don't forget the proper flexplate and to do measuring of the torque convertors to guarantee fitment.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Time flys and ideas change. I now have a LS3 powered S130 with a 4L85E auto for circuit racing, also have a Z31 turbo auto box that looks way lighter than the big 85E. Any info around on the Z31 box as far as it's ability to handle power?

The z31 auto is rated to 350rwkw with keas mods installed. I would also like to add that by using john deere hydraulic oil vs trans oil you will be adding considerable holding power to the trans. My 3 spd jatco withstood multiple back to back runs at the track with over 400whp for years. The weak point becomes the converter & input shaft. I twisted several input shafts and ballooned 2 converters getting into mid 1.5 60 ft times.

• 5 months later...

The z31 auto is rated to 350rwkw with keas mods installed. I would also like to add that by using john deere hydraulic oil vs trans oil you will be adding considerable holding power to the trans. My 3 spd jatco withstood multiple back to back runs at the track with over 400whp for years. The weak point becomes the converter & input shaft. I twisted several input shafts and ballooned 2 converters getting into mid 1.5 60 ft times.

I see that Vasco input shafts are available, are those you the ones you twisted? I'm back investigating the viability of a E4N71B behind the LS3 for road racing, I have one from a '87 Z31 turbo.

This will do for a bump, I assume the OP's kits are still available.

Edited by 260DET

• 4 weeks later...

used L4N71B on a for drag racing and went ~129mph in the 1/4.  Tranny held find, but due to excessive pressure it pushed out the front seal so definitely needs some additional case breathing.  Biggest issue was getting someone to build a good converter and options were few and far between.  Here is a link to the valve body mods.

http://www.eng.famu.fsu.edu/~jthagard/4n71b/

• 10 months later...

Good day RB30X,

I wanted to ask if this shift kit was still available...I'd like to know if it would work with my 1981 Datsun kb310 automatic transmission.

It would have to be posted to the United States, Postal Code 06106.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

jlee

• 1 year later...