HybridZ

Sears Craftsman Tool Swap

JSM

So I'm doing brakes on my 280z and of course I didn't have the 10mm 6 point flare wrench, anyway, I had the english standard size to show the Sears clerk what I was after and he points me to the section where they are at. $18.XX for one wrench!

After I picked my jaw off the floor, I walked up and hand the clerk the wrench. He says do you want to exchange for the american one? I was like I can do that? He said as long as it's some what close they don't care. I never use the english standard wrench so I walked out with a new wrench that I could use for free!

I never knew this. I always thought you had to trade exactly what you had. Thought I would share.

Edited by JSM

I do enjoy my Craftsman set. My dad bought an $800 set for me as a high school graduation present. The quality in 87 far exceeds what they have now in my opinion.

I used this HF slide hammer to pull 3 sets of 280z Stub axles. I barely managed to get the last one out when the main peice disintegrated. No swap out on the main peice by HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/17-piece-heavy-duty-slide-hammer-kit-5223.html

Edited by JSM

Amazingly the harbor freight tool selection has tremendously improved in quality the past couple of years and now offer lifetime warranties, do I am never going back to sears except to exchange stuff I broke.

I noticed this as well but my harbor freight does not carry flare nut wrenches.

Also, for flare nut wrenches i would never in my life use a sub standard brand ever again.

Being turned off by the $20 price tag of the 10mm craftsman flare nut wrench I decided to go to PepBoys and pick one up for $6.

Worst thing I've ever done. The wrench would, ever so slightly, flex outward when turning causing it to strip and ruin my brake line fittings.

After that I went out and bought a legitimate set of Craftsman flarenut wrenches ($39.99 for the whole metric set) and every single fitting popped of like it was no big thing.

And an aside to JSM, they just redesigned their Flare nut set to include a much beefier head and handle then they used to. I was lucky enough to get the new design when I bought them

Lifetime warranty is one thing, but if the tool is no good to begin with then they are just guaranteeing that it will be no good forever.

Edited by xonix_digital

i have worked in the past as a ford dealership mechanic.if you go into a sears store with a dealership shirt on they wont warrenty thier tools.why?they say they are for home use only.sears bought orchard supply hardware(west coast home hardware store)so osh sells craftsman tools.but they would exchange an old 1/2" drive ratchet handle because the could recognize the part# on the handle.had to goto a sears store to get a new ratchet.harbor freight-if you use it 1 time and it works it was cheap enough so you dont care .if it makes it past 3 times you are lucky.snap-on-some dealers seem kind of arrogant.if they dont have your broken tool on thier truck they have to order it-if they remember.i prefer thier box/open end wrenches though.mac dealers are the most helpfull

Ouch! Can you substantiate that claim?

Alot of the newly manufactured snap tools I have come across say made in china on them, while the packaging says made in the USA.. I'm talking newly manufactured within the past 3-6 months, not the new stuff that has been collecting dust in the snap on truck/warehouse.

I love china. I bought my headlights from china for $ 3.50.

Jokes aside though that's really sad. All we have to do to fix the economy is to heavily tax outsourcing. Bam... problem solved.

NZ has no chainsaw factories, so no jobs lost and I felt zero guilt in buying a cheap Chinese chainsaw for $57 USD plus shipping, in my hands it cost me $134 USD, or less than $200 NZD, while the cheapest local hardware stores sold the equivalent units for over $400 NZ. So far after a month use, it's working out better than the Husqvana 350 it replaced used to work, and which would have cost over $300 for repairs after it spat the dummy...

Just got to see what long term reliability is like in 3 or 4 years time.

As to taxing outsourcing... The WTO would call that tariff barriers :P 'nuff said on that topic before it gets political.

I do my best to support my TAIWAN namesake company: "King Tony"

For King Tony, there's only one tool that is fit for a King: "KING TONY TOOLS"

"It don't got yer name on it...er...waitaminit, I guess it IS your tool, your Majesty!"

Google it up if you think I'm FOS, there are guys at ZCar that would melt down if they saw my tool roll! :lol: