HybridZ

New 240Z Coupe Record at Bonneville

Tony D

• 4 weeks later...

Tony and guys,

There is an in car video and story up now on the Rebello Racing page for those interested. It is http://www.rebelloracing.com/index.htm

Thanks

Burton :cheers: (hey Tony.....ready for that beer...)

I thought Tip-Ups were what you anchored the six-pack to so it didn't float away under the ice in a current...

Michigan allowed multiples and the DNR was always looking to bust people with more than the allotted limit. I would always put one more down than allowable and have a sixer on there. When the DNR stopped to nail me, I'd pull up the sixer and smile. Unless there was some swimming Canadian, it wasn't 'legal bait for sportfish' and therefore didn't count.

After a while they stopped bugging me. Then the sixer could stay in the bucket under my butt, and I could actually fish in peace.

Lakes Freeze. And we race on frozen lakes. I once was scolded for making 5 mile speed runs by every enforcement entity in Iosco County. It all started when the local Sheriff came out of the Dunkin Donuts (!) at M55 and US23 and wondered where the sound of a flat 6 turning 6500+ rpms was coming from a 9AM on a quiet Sunday morning. Then they saw the streak of a red, white, and blue 66 Corsa with a large Fluorscent 7-Up Sponsorship Decal on the door (and "22c" in Blue) travelling across the horizon at obviously 'excessive speeds'... We knew about Bonneville then, we just made our own! (3" Dual Megaphones straight off the header collector are surprisingly directional, BTW...) B)

CONGRATS! Amazing that no ducting to / sealing of the radiator to the core support appears to have been done...no aero mods at all!

That is the intent of the class! It has to be STOCK as it came from the factory. The limited exceptions are things that could make a hazard if they fly off at speed: Wiper Arms, Mirrors...but that's about it. No taping of seams, no ducting of radiators (unless stock...like the S130 Euro Duct I have...) This is about as stock a Stock Z as you can get!

This feat is VERY impressive with the CD and Drag on that known and verified. DAMN impressive. Understand we only had about 280HP when we went near that same speed with the G-Nose, Light Covers, and Full Belly Pan! 100HP got him to where we were with aerodynamics. If we had used his engine our speeds would have been 'long track' eligible. BTW, our 'best speed' was a measured mile around 176mph, the two-way average was 173.325.

...I am a little confused as to why that stock coil is still there, though, since there's a modern individual coil setup and no distributor.

That is an MSD blaster 2 coil. What is wrong with a distributor? Around here they run open wheel dirt cars that make 800+whp with a magneto. :lol: I don't see what is wrong with a dizzy?

• 1 month later...

...I am a little confused as to why that stock coil is still there, though, since there's a modern individual coil setup and no distributor.

Ah yes you win the prize. I was wondering when someone would notice that. Yes we are using the crank trigger with the individual coils on the right side of the engine bay. We put the engine in at the Parking lot of the Peppermill in Wendover in 2009 and was just to lazy to pull the MSD coil out that were we running with the distributor and MSD box before. These were the only picks I had (My Dad took them). I am not much of a photo guy so I have to post what others take.

Plans for 2011 are:

G-Nose runs & Fuel injection to hopefully break 180MPH. Working on figuring out a way to build a 4.2L so we could try and break the E record @ 190. Wind tunnel tests if sponsorship comes.....

Burton

Working on figuring out a way to build a 4.2L so we could try and break the E record @ 190.

Burton

Get a 4.1 L Nissan President V8, and....

(I hear turbocharged it was over 1200HP as well, so add a "B" to the front of that Class and go really-really fast! :lol: )

I was close Burton---made it up to 40N in Michigan this week, just not the right Lattitude! Heading down to Detroit to fly back now.