HybridZ

BLOZ UP

Miller Diversion 165, w/Pedal

I got it new off eBay. Best price I could find.

They released the Diversion 180 a couple weeks later. Figures.

I am very satisfied with it. Biggest complaint is non-detachable ground and lead. The ground can be made detachable fairly easily. gas and lead, not so much. Actually my biggest complaint is that my car is in the way of my welding table, but that's my fault.

• 1 month later...

I've modified the passenger side mount again and got rid of the Z31 alternator bracket. The alternator will have to be reverse mounted and I will make an alternator mount that attaches to the motor mount. It's 1/8" thick steel, so I don't see any problems with stress. I think. I'm a computer scientist not a mechanical engineer.

I also got the 1-1/4" SCH10 pipe to fit the header flanges that I have. After searching for a place to bore out the holes on the flange, I got the much better idea of just turning some straight pipe down and chopping that down to what I need for each primary. Der. So $10 worth of machining instead of $100.

I'd like to get the car to at least start by the end of the summer but I have doubts. I will definitely get somewhere with the exhaust manifolds, however.

Ordered a coolant neck off of a WD21 pathfinder. This eliminates the radiator cap, since I have one on the radiator already.

post-1233-015482100 1310310579_thumb.jpg

post-1233-078265000 1310310582_thumb.jpg

May need to bleed car on a slope depending on how I route the pipe from here to the radiator:

post-1233-050868300 1310310589_thumb.jpg

post-1233-002595900 1310310593_thumb.jpg

post-1233-016813700 1310310596_thumb.jpg

But this also allows the Maxima intake to work without grinding.

I'm working a bit at a time on an alternator mount, no pictures yet. It's really ugly. Basically a long T that extends out from the motor mount. Speaking of which. the motor mounts are more or less done. One needs a little extra metal on the side for the alternator mount, and the other needs a hole drilled, but that's it.

• 1 month later...

Gave up on that alternator mount since it was fugly and a lot more work than necessary. Went back to my original (the OEM) mount:

post-1233-078397800 1315420252_thumb.jpg

Started on the passenger side manifold:

post-1233-095322600 1315420353_thumb.jpg

Made a crappy collector using a chop saw. Not really motivated to make another. My chop saw reeaaally didn't like cutting at that angle.

post-1233-019554900 1315420433_thumb.jpg

Did some cleanup, and fab'd a coolant pipe up. Alternator/motor mounts are okay for now. Fuel lines have been completed and pressure tested. Intake needs some more grinding to fit around the fuel rails.

post-1233-021842900 1315420475_thumb.jpg

post-1233-037145900 1315419972_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I just hope my flywheel never explodes.

A small update.

post-1233-058087300 1316103704_thumb.jpg

Getting crowded. In an attempt to change one of the outlets on the radiator, I managed to fubar the whole thing, and I've ordered another one. Well, actually it wasn't really fubar'd, but it wasn't worth reselling. I just got an aluminium eBay one. It's a stock replacement one, downflow now and it should be able to fit both of the fans I currently have since the core is larger. I wish it would fit them as pushers since that would save me some room behind the radiator, but I'll figure it out later.

I'm going to stop posting so often here and use our local club's forums to post instead: http://www.cowtownzclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=47

Edited by BLOZ UP

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Small update:

Finished the manifolds:

e6d53f1.jpg

887f005.jpg

How they'll look installed:

2064e7f.jpg

"Occupy Engine Bay":

9a4d929.jpg

Crowded:

2de76df.jpg

Manifolds are at the machine shop and getting flattened, and a hole put in the secondaries for the wastegate tube.

I'd like to put a flex tube on the secondaries, but I am having trouble sourcing one short enough (3").

Otherwise it's just some oil, coil wiring, and cleanup away from starting.

I gotta say I love the way your car came out ... Manifolds look wonderful if I may say. Can't wait to hear and see this thing run. I always have been a fan of the vg30 . I bet u can't wait to go eat a few peoples lunch and dinner :lol: .

Thanks.

This motor has 60% compression, so I don't trust it will last that long. Although, maybe since it has lower compression, it will! Either way I got a CLSD and other parts with it so I couldn't pass up a running and driving parts car. I have a VG33 waiting to be built, only then can I, "let the carnage begin".

So, I will try and limit it to 300HP for now.

Thanks.

This motor has 60% compression, so I don't trust it will last that long. Although, maybe since it has lower compression, it will! Either way I got a CLSD and other parts with it so I couldn't pass up a running and driving parts car. I have a VG33 waiting to be built, only then can I, "let the carnage begin".

So, I will try and limit it to 300HP for now.

Got shite . Glad to see its running , Drive it til It Bloz UP B) .

Thats awesome! Headers look great. Did you just order that box of little bends? I cant imagine trying to plan out a manifold and then pick the bends...

Keep up the good work, Im getting jealous... I want to start my car! haha.

I went to the plumbing store and bought a bunch of steam pipe/butt weld fittings. It's all made out of that, minus the flanges. 1-1/4" Schedule 10 pipe for the primaries, and 2" SCH10 pipe for the secondaries. I made 2/3 of the collectors. The passenger side one, the nice looking one, was made by Adam at Columbia River Mandrel Bending. He gave me a great deal, and considering the headaches from making the driver's side with my limited tools, it was well worth it. I just wish I had thought of it before I welded the driver's side together.

I tried to "learn" SolidWorks and quickly gave up. Then I tried to get someone else to design them in SW, but no one wanted my money. So I just use the bends and some spare heads and lots and lots of tape to mock up different ideas.

Here's a more meaningful video:

Awesome build man- keep it up and cheers for posting everything you've done so far. I've got the same project sitting in my garage, waiting for me to finish up my other stuff so I can begin. I see you had mocked up the 71C tranny from the z31- and the 280z driveshaft attached. I wasn't aware that you could essentially use the stock driveshaft with the z31 tranny, depending on how far forward/aft you located the engine mounts. Are you keeping with this idea or is a custom driveshaft coming your way? I admit, I've saved your build pics for my own reference, keep it up man and good luck. Looking forward to the progress.