HybridZ

EGR removal +plenum spacer install

ctom24

I have an 87 turbo just for reference.

so i'm atempting to install the plenum spacer form z31parts and i'm running into a few problems, 1 is i'm not sure what to do with the EGR valve on the intake manifold. Can it be removed completely and if so what else needs to be done? since i know there are recirculation hoses that connect to both the intake before the MAF sensor and right before the throttle body. How do i block these off?

Also while i was trying to remove the EGR and this other thing on the passenger side this hose broke and i'm not sure what it is or if it's important. any care to help me out here

0926101135-01.jpg

0926101135-00.jpg

You can either remove the EGR, and block off the mounting plate on the plenum. Just remember that you will need to likely cut the EGR tube going to the passenger side exhaust manifold, and remove the nut that holds the tube to the mani. You'll need to weld the top side of it shut so that you essentially have a plug for that exhaust manifold bung, and cap it off.

There is also another plenum spacer kit out that offers hardware to retain the EGR, I think for roughly 65-70 bucks.

cool well it's not that the one i have gets rid of it, it's just i don't want it there. I also have a 3" catback that eliminated my downpipe recirculation hose already and i'm trying to figure out how to plug the hole on the intake piping just before my MAF sensor. any ideas? an also, how do people make their own block off plates for the EGR and the other 2 sensors on both sides of the manifold?

• 4 weeks later...

Thing with a broken hose is the cold start idle valve. Runs to the intake on the DS.

I removed my EGR by making a custom block-off plate for the plenum side, took 10 minutes. Another option would be going to a JY and looking for a EFI D21 or WD21 (hardbody or Pathfinder) with a VG, some of them have no EGR from the factory have have a factory block-off plate that'll work on your Z31 after you remove the studs from the plenum.

For the exhaust manifold, a 1/2" NPT plug will thread into the hole without much effort even though its not exactly the right threads, and it seals it.

The "downpipe" recirculation isnt recirculating exhaust gases, its the "AIV", Air-Inlet Valve. Its simply an electronic air-pump, and pumps fresh air into the exhaust...not exhaust into the intake.

Edited by michaelp