HybridZ

Installing Derek's Kick/Speaker Panels in my Silver '73 240

Part of my plan for this weekend was to install my new Kick/Speaker Panels recently introduced by Derek here on hybridz. I had these in mind for my silver '73 240Z, which already has speaker panels in the kick panels, though I've never really been happy with them.

Info on Derek's panels can be found here: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/94564-vacuum-formed-kick-panel-speaker-pods/

New kick panels as they were received.

med_gallery_212_831_737460.jpg

The items sitting on the bag in the top center are for relocating the hood release mechanism. It needs to be offset higher to clear the speaker enclosure. I have hood pins on my car, so this bracket won't be needed with my install.

Out with the old...

med_gallery_212_831_523939.jpg

5 1/4 kicker components installed in universal q-logic panels. As I said above, I was never really happy with these q-logic panels and gladly replaced them with Derek's.

One small snag... I was having a difficult time getting the driver's side panel to fit due to the dead pedal. I wanted to install them without cutting, but couldn't find a good way to do this. I started to trim the bottom corner for dead pedal clearance, but instead decided to take an inch off the top. The top part is not going to be visible with the panel installed anyway and provided just the clearance I needed to get the panel up and over the dead pedal.

Here's what I trimmed:

med_gallery_212_831_120407.jpg

Driver's side test fit after removing 1" from the top:

med_gallery_212_831_1939944.jpg

Kicker components installed in their new home. I decided to mount the crossover unit on the top part of the panel.

med_gallery_212_831_1028621.jpg

Everything together and installed on the driver's side.

med_gallery_212_831_1743417.jpg

med_gallery_212_831_1002806.jpg

Good legroom and still have use of the dead pedal:

med_gallery_212_831_1372106.jpg

Next is the passenger side, which was a little more challenging but still easy overall. Again, out with the old...

med_gallery_212_831_332760.jpg

This set of relays caused a bit of a headache. They're attached to a bracket that has 3 bolts holding it in place, which Derek accounted for in his panel design. The top one was a little difficult to get to in my car.

med_gallery_212_831_297982.jpg

I got the top bolt loose, but decided to leave it in place and again decided to trim a portion off the top. For the passenger side, I trimmed just below the slotted hole that Derek had provided for the top relay bracket bolt.

med_gallery_212_831_1622129.jpg

Test fit of the passenger side after trimming the top:

med_gallery_212_831_743289.jpg

It fits well and the cut portion is not visible, though the dirtiness of the inside of my car is. I also appear to really like blue wiring and can't recall exactly what I was thinking when I did that 7+ years ago (or so).

Components installed and panel sitting in it's home.

med_gallery_212_831_2605822.jpg

Right now, this panel is only being held in by the two lower bolts that hold the relays up top. I'm planning to put a few more fasteners in at the bottom corners on both panels, but ran out of time for the day. I also need to find a new location for the passenger side crossover.

I'm extremely pleased with these new panels. Installation overall was simple and they provide a much-needed option for installing speakers in the front of early Z cars. Great job on these panels, Derek! I'll be contacting you later for 1 or 2 more sets B)

Looks good Ryan.

I cut my panels in exactly the same place. You can't see it and it makes it a lot easier to install. I also ended up not putting in the top screw on the relay bracket. I think the fiberboard panels are more flexible so they're easier to install.

I guess the bottom line is if everyone is cutting the panels to fit maybe I should sell them already cut.

Nice writeup.

Derek

Oh and it's amazing how a camera with flash shows all the ugliness under the dash. I knew my car wasn't a show piece but when I looked at my pics it looked like something out of a junk yard! I actually use a camera with flash to do my final inspection on patterns. I can find imperfections much easier.

Edited by Derek

• 2 weeks later...

If every one is going to cut them why not just trim your mold? That way it will save plastic and take less time to get the parts ready.

I have decided to trim the drivers side but I'm going to leave the passengers side for now and cut them on request. It takes no time with the band saw.

You don't save plastic though because the vacuum former uses a set size of plastic. In this case a 24" x 24" blank.

Derek