HybridZ

280zx Engine Swap

SaskZman

Hey guys, I'm wanting to do an engine swap on my 280zx eventually. Basically what I'm trying to decide is which engine to toss in it. I'm trying to keep it nissan because I imagine they would go in the easiest. I do not want a domestic engine in it even though I've heard wonders about the LS1. I've been looking at SR20's, CA18's, RB's, VG's and VQ's. Those are the main ones I have been looking at. Use is going to be regular street driving and the occasional track day. The power range of choice would be around the 500+ mark with potential to go farther. Engine should be able to be turbocharged. An estimated cost of building a decent engine would be handy as well. If anyone has any advice or other suggestions, it would be really helpful. Thanks guys.

Edited by SaskZman

first of all do some research this forum has a lot of info of people doing those swaps in both S30's and S130's

second 500rwhp out of anything is big dollars especially if you are paying someone to build it, remember when thinking of getting more power you need to think can your brakes, diff, tail shaft, body and tires handle it? because whats the point of having power if your car cant handle it and you crash :<

i don't know what the laws and prices are like in your area but something like a VH45 may be some where in between a LSX and a CA18, a VQ30DET out of a maxima +RWD box where i am is a relatively cheap and powerful swap and there seem to be strong engines not to mention light

any engine non nissan will go in as easy as a nissan engine.. brand has nothing to do with the ease of swap, apart from an RB25 that bolts up with r31 engine mounts. But then you just did the bolting up witch is not the hard part!

BMW line 6 fits as easy as any onther engine you mentioned i evan had a m60b40 (bmw v8) in a s130!.. but if you say 500+ mark cheap !!!.. id say domestic .. As the ate cheap and allot of bang for the buck!

Edited by frank280zx

Thanks guys. I realize the cheap part was sort of vague. What I should have said was that the engine that would be cheapest to source and part. I realize 500+ hp is not cheap but I'm looking for a starting point. And like I said, I'm trying to stick with Nissan not for ease (nothing is going to be easy), but for keeping it nissan. I know that sounds weird. Anyways, the more imput you guys give the mre help it is. Thanks

Thanks guys. I realize the cheap part was sort of vague. What I should have said was that the engine that would be cheapest to source and part. I realize 500+ hp is not cheap but I'm looking for a starting point. And like I said, I'm trying to stick with Nissan not for ease (nothing is going to be easy), but for keeping it nissan. I know that sounds weird. Anyways, the more imput you guys give the mre help it is. Thanks

I don't really get where your coming from with the Nissan thing. Not trying to down on you, by all means, it is your car and I hope you do what you want to do, not what others tell you to. Just know that this site was started based upon swapping Small Block Chevy engines into 240/260/280z's. It has evolved but here we are all about inter-brand modification. Whatever make the performance better! If your looking for cheap 500RWHP then a SBC is one of the easiest ways to go. An RB is a great start for 500WHP. It also depends on how you are going to use this power. Obviously on the street and a few track days. Be a little more descriptive, different engines have different uses. Even one engine can be built a different way to have the power more usable in a different range. The overall goal is to build an engine with a flat torque curve, high, but flat. Depending on stroke and bore and other things, your power may be used in high RPM or low RPM. The idea behind the flat torque curve it to have the power in the Low AND high RPM.

i say sbc. parts are easy to find, esp. performance parts used. thats what im basing my build on.. if you keep your eyes out long enough you will find a good deal.. i got my whole engine and trans setup (which the trans is temp due to the weakness of it) for helping a guy out for 2 weekends. its not 500 hp, but it can be done..... or.. you can just buy a crate motor with everything on it...and a warranty..

I don't really get where your coming from with the Nissan thing.

I understand where he's coming from. I know an SBC block would be an easy way to get the power we're looking for, but like him, I would like to keep it in brand. Look at it this way, would you swap anything other than a Chevy engine into a Vette or Camaro?